Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like a bad penny, I'm back! A handful of birthdays has come and gone.

I had the good fortune to pull into my local BMW dealer's parking lot just over a week ago, and immediately spotted a lovely 2016 Aluminium Silver and Cranberry Red T120. Done deal! The bike has slightly over 1600 miles showing, clean as a new one. I haven't had the opportunity to talk with the original owner yet. I would like to know how long the bike sat since it had a good day's ride. It began sprinkling, so no chance to ride before purchasing.

Only things I've noticed at this point are:
- excessive starter motor cranking before the engine will fire up. 2-3 seconds, let off and hit starter again. It then starts.
- excessive clunking when engaging 1st and 2nd gear with bike on center stand, rear brake holding wheel from turning.

The weather is going from bad to worse here in NE Ohio (big surprise in November!) But our street running thru the cul de sac is salt free at the moment, so got to race up and down the street in 1st and 2nd gear, and the shifting issue seemed to disappear.

Any thoughts on either the starting or gear engagement issues? Would a springtime visit to a dealer to look for any error codes make sense?

I'll be ordering a Haynes Manual soon, to familiarize myself with the bike. I don't think it'll be quite as easy for me to maintain at home, but that's the price of progress.

Glad to be back. I thoroughly enjoyed my 2003 Centennial Edition (T100.) And I recall that the forum member who purchased it from me continued to ride and enjoy the bike.

Bob (ohiorider)

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Welcome back!

On the starting, you'll find it'll help to hold the start rocker switch until the bike is running. You'll know when you're there, and it won't hurt a thing. It's the technique recommended in the owner's handbook, IIRC. The bike will start first time, every time.

I don't run the bike's engine unless I'm in the saddle, and so can't comment about "excessive clunking when engaging 1st and 2nd gear with bike on center stand, rear brake holding wheel from turning".

·
Registered
453 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! We have the same one.

When mine was new (its only 1.5 yrs old lol) it wouldn't fire up when cold within the first 3-4 seconds. Second stab it'd fire right up. After 6 months or so it started firing on the 1st try. So I think what you're experiencing is normal. I haven't ever tried to engage a gear while on the centerstand. I wouldn't rush to the dealer, that's for sure.

Here's what mine looks like...

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
I found that my Thruxton had that starting issue - only sometimes when cold - so asked a senior Triumph tech. He suggested not running the bike on the highest octane fuel (here that’s Ultimate 98 RON) as these engines don’t need it. I’ve been using Premium 95 RON since and the problem went away 99% of the time. No noticeable difference to performance or fuel consumption.

Before some skeptic starts questioning the validity of this, please don’t. If you want prof, try it. If you don’t think it will make any difference then simply don’t try it. If you’ve tried it and it made no difference, bad luck. It worked for me and that’s all I’m saying. The tech did give me an explanation of why this is so but I don’t fully recall it and it will only pry out the w..kers in any case.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome back!

On the starting, you'll find it'll help to hold the start rocker switch until the bike is running, not just until it fires once or twice and then dies. You'll know when you're there, and it won't hurt a thing. It's the technique recommended in the owner's handbook, IIRC. The bike will start first time, every time.

As to the "excessive clunking when engaging 1st and 2nd gear with bike on center stand, rear brake holding wheel from turning". I don't understand. Why do that?
Glad to be back. RE the ''test" I had the bike delivered to me via enclosed trailer rather than chancing getting caught in a 35 degree rainstorm last Friday. Since I'd had no riding time on the bike, and it had begun raining, I had the bike in my garage, and wanted to check things like oil level, brake lights, directional signals, etc. Fired it up on center stand, and out of curiosity, wanted to simulate how bike would feel going from neutral to first at a stop. Nothing more than that.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found that my Thruxton had that starting issue - only sometimes when cold - so asked a senior Triumph tech. He suggested not running the bike on the highest octane fuel (here that’s Ultimate 98 RON) as these engines don’t need it. I’ve been using Premium 95 RON since and the problem went away 99% of the time. No noticeable difference to performance or fuel consumption.

Before some skeptic starts questioning the validity of this, please don’t. If you want prof, try it. If you don’t think it will make any difference then simply don’t try it. If you’ve tried it and it made no difference, bad luck. It worked for me and that’s all I’m saying. The tech did give me an explanation of why this is so but I don’t fully recall it and it will only pry out the w..kers in any case.
Thanks for your thoughts. I especially like your 2nd paragraph. Might have to 'borrow' that from you for future use!

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to be back, Prop!

Wow - there's a name I haven't seen in a while. Great to see you back Bob.
Missed riding a retro vertical twin.

Bob

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Glad to be back. RE the ''test" I had the bike delivered to me via enclosed trailer rather than chancing getting caught in a 35 degree rainstorm last Friday. Since I'd had no riding time on the bike, and it had begun raining, I had the bike in my garage, and wanted to check things like oil level, brake lights, directional signals, etc. Fired it up on center stand, and out of curiosity, wanted to simulate how bike would feel going from neutral to first at a stop. Nothing more than that.
I wouldn't be able to resist, either!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had the same experience as Tahtye. My bike would almost never start on the first crank but you could count on the second try. Now after the second season it tends to start on the first crank much more often.

·
Registered
363 Posts
There’s clunking and then there’s CLUNKING when engaging first from neutral. Normally if a bike’s been standing unused for any length of time then there’s a high probability that the clunking you’re experiencing is the latter from where the plates are not fully disengaging. It should abate with use to the former (acceptable) level. Hope your purchase serves you well.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Running through the gears while on the centre stand will make more clunking noises than having it on the ground, I would never do that so if you take it on the road those clunking noises will disappear and being on the centre stand the chain will be slack etc and on the ground the chain will be in its right position and at it right adjustment if adjusted right, hope this make sense, no load on your wheels and chain and your ear close to the sounds all make a noise not right like it is with every thing on the ground.

Ashley

1 - 12 of 12 Posts