Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 today, 97 for the next two days and then dropping down to 94 with possible scattered thunderstorms for Thursday with heat indexes from 105 to 109. And the ever present humidity. :p

If you guys who own newer bikes haven't done it already, you might want to check and flush your coolant systems and put in something other than what the factory pumped into your bikes.
Got an '07 and I did mine last fall at only a year old and like a lot of people on here I found a nice mixture of brown sludge in mine. Quite a bit of buildup in the expansion tank.
Did a few short runs after purging the system with a hose with a few fills of distilled water until it ran clean and then put in Prestone 50/50, good for all motors yada yada.

Since I started running it I've never seen more than 7 bars and that was after it had sat hot before a new start up. Today, parked for a few at the post office after 20 miles it registered 7 on start up, 4 miles later it was at 5 bars and I never saw more than six while running and it was hot today.
Not promoting Prestone but I believe anything is better than what the factory installs. I know I am running a full bar lower with this juice than what the factory put in it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hit 9 bars in Chi town this weekend. Just dropped it off at the dealer for a coolant and oil change, plus I melted some cable coming out of the instrument cluster!??

Going to add the engine ice as well!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
As I stated in another thread, Engine Ice lowered my temp by one bar. But if you are expecting to feel a difference, forget it.

On the other hand, one bar cooler than Prestone is noteworthy, and is justification to use it.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
96 degrees and 86% humidity..........some people pay money to sit in little rooms with weather like this.

---Charlie

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm trying to "get in shape" for my long July trip... so I'm getting leather'd up to go out for a ride right now.

Of course the wife thinks I'm crazy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do our bikes have the "ram air" system typically seen on other bikes? Where does it get true cold air from, down below?

·
Registered
140 Posts
glok22 I am from the windy city! Live in Texas now and love it. We will have 100+ all week. A little hot but still fun

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
That is an average summers day here but our humidity is usually higher than that, often the temperature is too.:veryhot:

DaveM:BigEyes:
This is pretty typical of our summer weather.......IN AUGUST!:veryhot:

Dave, don't you fry in those black leathers? I can't imagine being stuck in traffic, steamy hot, and black leathers on.

---Charlie

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
96 degrees and 86% humidity..........some people pay money to sit in little rooms with weather like this.

---Charlie
:D:D

Guess I'll stick wth the mid 70s we're having right now and low humidity....:D

·
Banned
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
*This is pretty typical of our summer weather.......IN AUGUST!*

Ain't that the truth! Supposed to stay this way the rest of the week with next week dipping down into the cool high 80's. Man, I get home after work and my head feels like a baked ham coming out of the oven and I wear a white helmet. :)

OND, so you are consistently running 5 bars on the engine ice? That is pretty decent.
Had a storm blow through today before work let out and the pavement got cooled and the temps were a little lower so I was running 5/6 bars on the 30 miles home. I almost sprang for a jug of the EI the last time I was at a shop. Might have to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
This is pretty typical of our summer weather.......IN AUGUST!:veryhot:

Dave, don't you fry in those black leathers? I can't imagine being stuck in traffic, steamy hot, and black leathers on.

---Charlie
Charles,

In short I don't ride in traffic if I can ever help it.

Yes I do get very hot in black leathers in summer, Tiger Angel Leathers are also thicker than most European brands being 1.4mm - 1.6mm premium Cow and Kangaroo hide.

Having said that my average ride starts at 5:30am and is over by 11:00am especially in summer when it can be up to 40 C and 90+ humidity.

I do have a JR Phoenix Mesh jacket but wear my TA leather pants with them and use leather mesh CF gloves in the hottest part of summer.

DaveM:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts