Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havnt got the hang of it, yet? My bike is only six-months old and I am having a-lot of bother trying to start it when warm? From cold, no-bother, when hot,no-bother. But if its been left for a half-hour. It-wont start? I can never get the manual-choke right The starter motor whirrs-away. Is there any-way that I can put it onto automatic-choke?...........That is the problem? :confused:

·
Registered
176 Posts
You shouldn't have to use the choke if the bike is still warm, at least I don't.
What mods have you done?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
842 Posts
6 months old, shouldn't you have EFI?

With my carbs I have to ride with the choke at least 1/4 out for at least 30 minutes as soon as the temperature drops below 70. I've also gotten in the habit of giving my idle knob a twist at stop lights and giving the throttle a couple good revs if she starts sounding cold. I think my carbs could use a new jetting though. Thinking about replacing the pilots. They shouldn't be as cold blooded as yet are. That said, full choke I never have a problem starting.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Two items to be going on with:

The first one is to remind you of the starting procedure as stated on the handbook, sounds a bit weird but that's what it says:

• If the engine is cold, pull out the choke, noting the following: Above 25°C air temperature, pull out the choke to the first position. Below 25°C air temperature, pull out the
choke fully.

If the engine is partly warm, pull out the choke to the first position.

• Leaving the throttle completely closed, push the starter button until the engine starts.

The second one comes from a Factory notice to solve hot starting problems, see if your VIN falls between those stated below:

There's a factory technical note covering a certain VIN range to solve some hot start problem. Here's the text:

Factory Notice: Bonneville family models Vin 423524-503530 when fitted with LCD

Owners of Bonnevilles, Thruxton, Scrambler, America, Speedmaster in the Vin range: 423524 - 503530 when fitted with LCD odometers, should note the following:

The Triumph Factory has responded positively to feedback from customers regarding the inability of some bikes within this model family and VIN range to always re-start quickly during a part-warm restart, but instead continue to crank a little longer before eventually restarting.

Triumph engineers have investigated and identified the cause, correcting it by way of a small adjustment to the OEM tune map.

For those owners who have encountered this problem, Triumph is offering a free-of-charge ECU re-map, either as a part of their next scheduled service, or sooner if so desired. It is therefore strongly suggested for those affected customers to contact your dealer soon and arrange for them to undertake such work in terms of a Factory-authorized warranty claim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts