Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I need help! Looking for a mechanic/shop to take my 1970 Bonneville in for work. Hopefully in the south west as I am in SEAZ. I am NOT finding any time to do any restoration work.
Mike
I don't know Az. But a friend of mine used to use a shop in Az. real near to you. I believe they have gone out of business It was call Alternative Motorcycle Repair. I thought they were in Tucson but their old web site says Sahuarita Az. Anyway on their old site they list a reference for paint and body work in Tucson.

Aerographix
PO Box 57269
Tucson Az. 95732

Contact; Dan Neal
V:520 760 9104
F: 520 760 2788
Email: [email protected]

Now ifin it was me I would give him a call and see if he might have a recommendation. Worst case you may have found a painter.

K

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for the tips guys!
I may have found a restoration shop here in AZ, and also get help on the paint!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A shop got my photos, looked them over and told me 5-6K for a total engine rebuild, 9-10K total. He said that the machine was not worth restoring, within a few hours one of his friends contacted me wanting to buy my "parts" bike.

I will be here of the Rat for lots of advice as my buddy and master machinist Rick and I will get-er-done.
When China opens a bunch of Burger Kings using American Beef this winter we will do battle with the top end!

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
As Arte Johnson was saying at the time your bike was built...."Very Interesting"...

Ah yes also very interesting my dictionary just happened to fall open and I noticed the word Ethics.

The branch of philosophy that deals with morality. Ethics is concerned with distinguishing between good and evil in the world, between right and wrong human actions, and between virtuous and nonvirtuous characteristics of people.

Interesting coincidence don't you think.

Of course there is a fine line between 'goood business' and good ethics. Ask any Lawyer....

K

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
A shop got my photos, looked them over and told me 5-6K for a total engine rebuild, 9-10K total. He said that the machine was not worth restoring, within a few hours one of his friends contacted me wanting to buy my "parts" bike.
He would have ripped you off on the rebuild anyway, charging you for work that he would not have needed to do, etc. Good that you saw through it. What a creep! :sip

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
He would have ripped you off on the rebuild anyway, charging you for work that he would not have needed to do, etc.
I must say, when I was doing full restorations, that price was not out of line. I'm not siding with the guy that made the quote, or knocking down his quote, but i have done dozens of restorations of Triumph big twins, so I know it's not out of line.

Now, would he have done stuff that didn't need doing? I wouldn't warranty a restoration that didn't go all the way down to the bare crankshaft sludge trap, so maybe he is the same.

As to the guy he tipped off to the bike (even though I don't believe it was for sale), maybe he figured a deal could be made if AZMike was put off of having a restoration done. Some people WILL NOT do it for themselves, and that's just a fact (one that I am thankful for, from 2005 to 2017). Some people are just in a place where the calculator says "sell it and get a runner".

(just sayin')

·
Registered
11,453 Posts
Did the restorer call it a parts bike, or the guy that was wanting to buy it called it a parts bike?

Like I said, I KNOW "parts" bikes!
I thought the restorer setup the customer to unload a nice bike to one of his buddies by persuading him the bike "was not worth restoring". I may have misinterpreted the post or maybe not. I'm not sure. :dunno

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
As the owner/restorer I went on an information "fishing trip" just to see how much I might be looking at to have a shop work on my bike for at least some of the chores.
I e-mailed 5 or so photos and explained that the pistons were frozen at near top dead. The shops estimate were based solely on the pictures.
The "parts bike" idea was generated from the estimate not me. E-mails from interested friends of the shop followed soon after.
I have kind of a rule when collecting my stuff (SxS shotguns, vintage Coleman etc.) Don't sell anything that you won't be able to duplicate easily.
PM's are very encouraging, all point to fix what needs fixed, clean-up and ride! unanimous opines about not to over do a restoration.
Thanks to all, Mike

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Mike

Just wondering regarding the estimate you received to do the rebuild/restoration. What kind of figures did you have in mind for the cost?

I AM NOT making any comment on the estimate you were given. Just wondering what you were expecting.

K

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
K,
Without creating hard feelings by over-doing a thread I will give my hoped for estimate.
I got the Bonneville for around $800, other stuff added in to a redneck trade. The bike was running 7 years before storage. I have been busy but ordered tires/tubes, seat cover, rubber shock boots, replacement tail light, lucas light bezel and so on--maybe $500 of parts. One of my hay customers has a body shop and volunteered to paint fenders and tank for $300 in cow feed--I did let him but now need to re-do = $800.
I hope to get the machine running for maybe $2,500 to $3,000 more putting me around $5,000 total in. I wouldn't take any more cash out of my hobby funds.

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
That is reasonable, but likely would not include a professional engine overhaul.

You could personally do a "de-coke" yourself (pull the head, clean the piston tops & combustion chambers and lap the valves), and you should be fine. You'll be able to take a look at the cylinders to ensure there are no scratches/gouges/pitting.

Flush the primary out, free up all the clutch plates, and flush the tranny.

You can get in somewhat under $5K with help from the lads here.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts