Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I could find a reliable electric Triumph used for around $2000, I'd buy one. Until then, craigslist (gas)Triumphs are my favorite bike!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Biggest problem is where to recharge away from home . I have two businesses that provide holiday accommodation to provide charge points is not cheap , at some point I will have to stump up the money to have charging stations fitted . Authorities world wide need to make sure all electric vehicles can use the same charge points . Already had a customer who drove from Germany with an electric car .

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Biggest problem is where to recharge away from home . I have two businesses that provide holiday accommodation to provide charge points is not cheap , at some point I will have to stump up the money to have charging stations fitted . Authorities world wide need to make sure all electric vehicles can use the same charge points . Already had a customer who drove from Germany with an electric car .
The electric charging station that have been provided here are usually taken by fat or lazy people taking the opportunity for a short walk to the services.
Frustrating even to watch.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The electric charging station that have been provided here are usually taken by fat or lazy people taking the opportunity for a short walk to the services.
Frustrating even to watch.
Could be interesting if an electric car with a flat battery parked behind them in such a way that they were blocked and had to wait until the car could be charged up .

·
Registered
97 Posts
Range and charge time are the killers of electric battery operated vehicles. Solving the charge time barrier helps to make the range barrier less significant. So how to solve the charge time? With swappable battery packs, just like cordless tools. Pull up to a charging station, swap out the battery packs - a standardized PHYSICAL form factor used by ALL cars and motorcycles, and away you go. While you're toodling down the road, the charging station figures out how much juice you used and bills ya. Pretty much the same as swinging by the hardware store to swap out your backyard grill's propane tank for a filled one.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My only question is:
Will the battery have enough voltage to kill you ? If so, consider not riding in the rain.

I think its more than urban legend that more than one tow truck driver has been electrocuted when hooking up a Tesla. I was told that some tow drivers in CA wont tow them under any circumstances.

This project will keep the engineers busy and the electric Triumph will be built and sold. It will be called progress and everyone goes home happy. What a shame that the old Triumph company never had mad money to throw at the wall!

Cheers,

Weedie

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sure these will be popping up all over the place once the big 4 in Japan start doing it, and they'll do it properly. They everyone else will play catch up. I for one would like to try one out, but I have a soft spot in my heart for carbs, and a throaty sounding twin.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think its more than urban legend that more than one tow truck driver has been electrocuted when hooking up a Tesla. I was told that some tow drivers in CA wont tow them under any circumstances.
Do you have any links for this? I did a Google search for "Tow Truck Driver Electrocuted" and only got results for ones that were electrocuted due to downed power lines. Then I tried "Tow Truck Driver Electric Car Deaths" and didn't get any hits on that. So I'm just curious how I can find more information.

Thanks!
Craig

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sorry Craig no links that I know of.

I heard this from the man I worked for, it was around 2014 or so. He was a state licensed electrician and he kept up on all the national electrical industry news, whatever it was.
He said that the tow driver was laying in a water filled ditch and somehow came in contact with a hot spot while trying to hook up underneath the Tesla.
I have know way of vetting it, that's just the way I heard it, and also that no body was going to tow the Teslas in the state of CA. It could be just scuttlebutt, or Tesla could have had a resulting lawsuit and paid to bury the information.

Stay safe!

Weedie

·
Registered
483 Posts
I recently bought an electric scooter that goes 28 miles at 12 mph and weighs 24 pounds. Got the electric bug a little, would love to try an electric motorcycle, but it needs to go 150 miles, and charging away from home is a real issue.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts