Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to sell it and the only bites I have on it are from scammers. It has 24,000 miles on it so I guess thats in the ready to junk it range.. Duh.. With so many used bikes out there and lots of people needing money these days they are giving them away. I am asking $6800 for my 2011,, way too much I guess. I would rather keep it than give it away. My insurance is less if I keep it on with both bikes, strange.
I just need to clean out my shed to make more room in it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
There is a huge difference between the $6800 (overpriced IMO) and giving it away. If you WANTED to sell it you would have.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a huge difference between the $6800 (overpriced IMO) and giving it away. If you WANTED to sell it you would have.
I just went by the NADA book range 6-8k
I figure I need some room to bargain too.
What do you think its worth?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just went by the NADA book range 6-8k
I figure I need some room to bargain too.
What do you think its worth?
IMHO the price seems fair, obviously you know you are gonna have to bargain with the potential buyer ... however mileage might keep buyers away since there is plenty of used S3 with less miles withing that price range. I certainly would not give it away either ... it ust depends how motivated you are to sell.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought my S3 about 9 months ago, 2010 Anniversary Edition (means nothing for resale) with 19,000mi and paid $5900 from a used bike retailer. Just to give you a range. That was in Dallas, and he had it for sale for over 180 days.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It all depends where the seller is located. IMO, if the OP is the North East then he is asking too much, about $500 too much. If he is California he is going to be able to sell it easier, higher mileage bikes are more common. Near me, not many people want a bike with 20k+ miles. We all know that sportbikes only lasts 20,000 miles then they expire. Hell, if I bought a bike with 20k miles, I would have to factor in tearing the bike down and inspecting it. A lot of stupid can happen in those miles.

OP try selling other ways besides craigslist. Local forums or local riding groups. Facebook typically has pages dedicated to selling motorcycles locally. For example, search Philadelphia motorcycles for sale on facebook.

I sold my last bike that had 22k miles on it for full asking price and I thought it was over priced. The buyer thought he got a deal. It took 3-4 weeks and he was the only person to contact me. All it takes is one.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the thoughts.
I can't believe someone said a sport bike is done at 20k.
I am 64 and don't beat on it. It runs like new. I may have to bring the price down more, but like I said I still like the bike and just may keep it. There are lots of bikes out there that will go 100k no problem

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Bikes done at 20,000? That's just a stupid. I know personally of R-1's with 80,000 and many other modern engines going to 100,000 and still running strong.
I find my past 1050 engines just start to run good at 20,000.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts.
I can't believe someone said a sport bike is done at 20k.
I am 64 and don't beat on it. It runs like new. I may have to bring the price down more, but like I said I still like the bike and just may keep it. There are lots of bikes out there that will go 100k no problem
Well this is admittedly just my opinion but i'll put it out there (and why not like you crogers i'm older at 54 and riding my entire adult life)-but I think you have it priced well. I also do not think you should change your price unless you really have to and are stressed economically. I say this for good reason but don't want to bore you with my opinion, especially since I think you and I are thinking along the same lines anyway.

·
Registered
432 Posts
We all know that sportbikes only lasts 20,000 miles then they expire. Hell, if I bought a bike with 20k miles, I would have to factor in tearing the bike down and inspecting it. A lot of stupid can happen in those miles.
Good lord. You must come from somewhere where people don't ride their bikes. Where I'm from that would still be considered low mileage. Helps to have year-round riding weather, but still, get out there and ****ing ride the poor thing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
a car with 20,000 miles is slightly used ,barely broke in , so why's it any different for a bike ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have been trying to sell it and the only bites I have on it are from scammers. It has 24,000 miles on it so I guess thats in the ready to junk it range.. Duh.. With so many used bikes out there and lots of people needing money these days they are giving them away. I am asking $6800 for my 2011,, way too much I guess. I would rather keep it than give it away. My insurance is less if I keep it on with both bikes, strange.
I just need to clean out my shed to make more room in it.
By me 2011's with 4k-9k are selling for $6500. If you wanted to sell it you would.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
a car with 20,000 miles is slightly used ,barely broke in , so why's it any different for a bike ?
It's not if you just ride them as intended.
Course most people don't do track days fiddle around and modify there daily transportation.
They don't flog there car either like some motorcycles.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Most cars don't spend their entire lives in the top half of the tach. While I'm not saying a bike engine will only last 20k, I certainly wouldn't expect it to last 2-300k like I would a car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
they put the redline where it is for a reason. some engines (including most sport bikes) function very healthy at the top half of the tach, and its completely safe. really the only thing your doing is using more fuel. However reswob, spending the engine life on the bottom half of the engine would technically have less "combustions" along that 20k road, and would probably be in just a SLIGHT better condition than one thats been rode hard and put away wet. But I think the difference would be negledgable and not worth riding like a turd to keep it in that range.

I earend 10k miles on my thruxton last year, and about 4k on the speed triple (but picked it up in November). I keep all my motors hovering around 5-7k for cruising, 9k shifting on hard accelerations (frequently, lol) and they both love it.

OP - I agree with the above, if your not hurting financially, just hold out for the right buyer. Like it was said, only needs to be one person.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts