Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride with a motley group of guys that range in age from late-40s to mid-70s. I'm the youngest at 49 and Leroy is the oldest at 75. Leroy is probably the safest and one of the best riders in the group.

I was unable to go this time, but my usual group was out for a ride on Saturday. Leroy was bringing up the rear as he likes to do. The group passed a car that was stopped on the side of the road... all but Leroy. As he approached the car, they made an abrupt U-turn in front of him.

To make a bad story short, Leroy was air-lifted 60 miles to Brook Army Medical Center in San Antonio, TX, due to the fact they're the best trauma center in this area. His right leg was crushed too severely to be saved. Surgeons were forced to amputate Leroy's leg above the knee.

So never become complacent when you're out riding. Even if it's a slow ride on a beautiful fall day, anything can happen. Please be aware of your surroundings at all times. This accident has me thinking about the way I ride sometimes, and has been somewhat of a wake-up call for me.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Jeeze... :eek:

That's a terrible story, man...

I've been out riding a handful of times when people have gone down. It's always a bad deal. At the very least, it's almost always expensive but sometimes, it's far worse...

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope everything works out as well as it can... :(

·
Premium Member
17,465 Posts
At least he lived. I hope that's how he sees it. Be careful, everyone!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I'm always amazed how quickly tragedy strikes. No matter what precatutions we take as motorcyclists, we run the extra risk of being seriously hurt or killed. It's part of what we do, it's planted in our subconcious wrapped up in our wee craniums unused and undetected most of the time. Usually, we ride safe - through the grace of God - but sometimes the stats get us. I wish Leroy all the best.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
they made an abrupt U-turn in front of him.
WTH is it with these guys? Its to the point on the backroads when I see someone fade right I expect them to whip left. :mad: How could someone wait for a group to go by, then take out the last rider? Its like an ambush tactic.

Very sorry to hear this about your pal. I sure hope he gets great treatment and is mobile again soon. Keep us posted on how he's doing. This really sucks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your friend. Here's hoping he makes the best recovery possible and soon. I've had that exact "accident" happen to me, but fortunately I was in my car. When the police got there, one officer looked at the other driver and said "Oh, not you again?". How can such incompetent morons stay on the road?

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Very unfortunate....once again some dumb arse cager hurts another biker. I am very sorry for friend I hope he heels fast and perhaps one day will return on a trike.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
My prayers are with Leroy. Hope he can get back in the saddle. I ride with a Septuagenarian like that. A great rider and a great guy. All cages should be considered a threat.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
That's terrible, I don't care you age, to have that much traumatic surgery and not be sure if you can ride again - horrible.

Hope he recovers fully.

Russ
p.s. yeah, I don't understand how bad the drivers are either. I wouldn't put it down to ambush tactics. Just "never underestimate the power of human stupidity" - R.A.Heinlein. and the other one I love (cant' remember the source) "never put down to malice what could be attributed to stupidity".

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm always amazed how quickly tragedy strikes. No matter what precatutions we take as motorcyclists, we run the extra risk of being seriously hurt or killed. It's part of what we do, it's planted in our subconcious wrapped up in our wee craniums unused and undetected most of the time. Usually, we ride safe - through the grace of God - but sometimes the stats get us. I wish Leroy all the best.
Very well put Cat. Thanks for putting my thoughts into words.

WTH is it with these guys? Its to the point on the backroads when I see someone fade right I expect them to whip left. :mad: How could someone wait for a group to go by, then take out the last rider? Its like an ambush tactic.

Very sorry to hear this about your pal. I sure hope he gets great treatment and is mobile again soon. Keep us posted on how he's doing. This really sucks.
16 yr old girl w/ only a learners permit. Her BF was the accompanying driver. They were lost and trying to turn around. What got my blood boiling is she's claiming she was parked diagonally on the side of the road and Leroy ran into her parked car. Even though the car was facing the opposite direction when the DPS trooper arrived.

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers. Leroy is in good spirits and back to his ornery disposition. He says he's determined to ride again, but only time will tell. I'll keep you posted as his condition improves.

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
I was hit--while sitting in my parked car--by a 17-yo girl who then claimed that I caused the accident. It happens.

Just a couple months ago, while driving my car, the idiot in the pickup truck in front of me pulled the high-speed slam-on-the-brakes instant U-turn maneuver (because bubba saw a barbecue pit on the other side of the road, I'm not making this up). I was able to brake sufficiently to avoid hitting bubba, but soccer mom in the close-following mega-SUV rear-ended my Civic. It happens.

I told soccer mom that I ride a motorcycle and asked her to think of what would have happened if I'd been on the bike instead of in the car.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Sorry to hear road_dog. It gives us all a reality check!! :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts