Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, having just had the rear tyre replaced, I thought I should check the chain adjustment. I'm sure that the guys in the tyre shop know what they are doing, but it's nice to be sure.

I know from a forum search that this subject has been covered, but I am probably a bit of an idiot for not being able to do it.

I have the bike (650D) on a paddock stand.
I found the tightest part of the chain
I have a measuring stick to give me the 25 - 30 mm play.

However, at the centre of the bottom chain run, I can only lift the slack chain about 20 - 25mm before it touches on the chain guide. (I think its called a chain guide? the thing that the chain bumps into on the swinging arm).

I know I have more slack than this, but because the chain guide restricts movement, I can't measure it.

My fall back position is to set it to the maximum before it touches the chain guide, knowing it will actuall be more than this.

Am I being an idiot?

Tomsdad

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
No, you are being thoughtful. I always adjusted it so it would hit the chain guard and didn't worry about it much. It has to have enough slack to keep from getting tight all the way through the swingarm's travel range. I prefer a slightly loose chain to a tight one, although on some bikes it will jump. Triumphs are not one of those bikes, so no problems.

·
Registered
601 Posts
never really too sure how significant this is- and indeed if it relates to the d650 (i have an s4 so guessing it may be the same...)
but i thought chain tension should be measured with the bike on the side stand?

hope to see ya around cambs t.d!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
There are a number of schools of thought about chain maintenance. I'll tell you what I do, but it's going to be completely different from somebody else who gets the same or better results.

Here's what I do:

Adjust the chain so you can push it up to touch the bottom of the swingarm while the bike is on a rear stand.

Make sure the axle is parallel to the swinarm spindle. I do it using a beam compass to measure the distance from spindle to axle on both sides. I do this every time I adjust the chain.

Lubricate whenever I think about it and get motivated. Chains last longer when lubricated, and I'm pretty negligent about it to be perfectly honest. It's a bad habit I have and if you are more diligent about lubrication, you'll be better off.

Chain lube is one of those subjects which gets people all excited, like politics, religion, and what makes a woman beautiful. Just use some kind of chain lube and use it regularly, you'll be OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts