Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wouldn't call it plug and play and I don't think it ever will be. I think having general computer knowledge is more valuable at this point, because it seems the biggest issue is getting connected for the first time.

There are enough tunes around that you don't have to worry about fuel mapping yourself. I have posted several that you can download from the thread over at r3owners.net. I have put together some tunes for people also.

I would be happy to help you out if you want to give it a stab. There are more benfits than just fueling maps, such as speedo correction, ignition advance, and secondaries open 100% of the time.

T

·
0 Posts
FWIW, I just took mine for a morning blast after performing my 1st Tuneboy tune last night. I uploaded the 20050_2 tune....

I have:
1. Triumph cat bypass

2. I drilled out the stock mufflers. 3 holes in each canister, going thru all 3 interior baffles.

3. Stock air filter.

The tuning part of it was as easy as posting a post on this website. I had an issue when installing the tuneboy software on my laptop itself....but that had more to do w/my laptop than their software. I just updated a driver and all was OK.

Another potentially confusing thing....was making sure the correct COM ports were selected in the settings of the TuneEdit software. Again....nothing to do with their software..I just didn't know for sure which ports were labelled what, on my laptop. I just tried a couple different settings and voila....laptop and Rocket, talky!!

bike runs flat out awesome and no backfiring whatsoever. The holes drilled in the stock canisters gave it just the sound I was looking for. I didn't want anything too loud. SICK power, Idles more smoothly, speedometer is exactly what my Garmin GPS reads...life's good!!

Didn't answer your question directly, but just relaying my experience w/it.

RIDE ON!!

[ This message was edited by: TRocket_NY on 2006-12-02 09:51 ]

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
On 2006-12-02 11:47, davidhp57 wrote:
It's the "give it a stab" part I'm still concerned about.

My bike currently runs great. No idling problems, very little decel popping, etc. So I'm not really interested in "experimenting". But if I can optimize the performance and correct the speedo that would be awsome.

I spent an hour reading the posts on the .Net site and left just as confused as before.

I guess I should have asked a more direct question. Is there a Tuneboy tune that has been tried or figured out that works best with my setup. TOR's, Cat bypass, and under seat K&N? I also live in Denver, CO.

Thanks again,
David
The 20050_2 tune works great for the tor/cat bypass/k&n under seat. I posted a slight modification that does a good job at getting rid of the popping but doesn't affect the higher end. Aside from the speedo correction, you get an additional 10-13 ft. lbs of peak torque where Triumph limits it in the stock maps. That's significant. I had it dynoed at ~140 hp/150 lbs at 2700 rpm. You're probably running the stock 20054 now. If you don't like the 20050_2, you can always reload a stock tune but wth the secondaries open all the way and the speedo corrected. It's worth the $400 just for this. You can always add a pc III later if you feel you need it. :cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am in the process of installing the supercharger, and with that the Tune- boy. :hammer:
I have spent hours now trying to figure out how to get the darn thing to connect with the bike and get the f-ing ECU- number/code... :mad:

T

·
0 Posts
Just give a shout and if needed, I can call ya up and try to step you through it since I just went thru this 2 days ago. I know, it can be a little frustrating, trying to get the computer and the bike to communicate.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Very kind of You TRocket_NY!!!
We are very far from each other though, I live in Sweden...
:)

The problem I have for starters is that when I click "properties" in the TuneEdit it seems to "unchose" the USB option no matter how I try to tick that box in the window.

The USB- cable itself is installed in the system and OK as far as I can tell.

I get various messages when I connect the cable to the bike, mostly the annoying litlle window that says: "Check that th ignition is on and try again"

:evil:

T

·
0 Posts
On 2006-12-03 10:13, Rocket-tre wrote:
Very kind of You TRocket_NY!!!
We are very far from each other though, I live in Sweden...
:)

The problem I have for starters is that when I click "properties" in the TuneEdit it seems to "unchose" the USB option no matter how I try to tick that box in the window.

The USB- cable itself is installed in the system and OK as far as I can tell.

I get various messages when I connect the cable to the bike, mostly the annoying litlle window that says: "Check that th ignition is on and try again"

:evil:
I ran into the same exact issue. I'm not sure if it'll only save if you have the correct ports selected or not...but I know all of a sudden, once I started trying different port configs, it did finally 'save'. What are your available ports listed in the dropdown controls?

Don't worry....you're JUST ABOUT there and I had the SAME EXACT issues as you

·
Registered
146 Posts
The drivers weren´t on the CD, so I downloaded them from Tune-boy homepage!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Turns out that the trick was to chose a tune (map) to begin with. :cool:
Can´t find a word about that in the instructions, but the Tune-boy support replied very quick when I mailed them!
Will be back with more info on proceedings later...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts