Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
here`s a link to an independant test !! Clicky !!

thanx to Catenaccio for posting it a while ago !!

have fun

KK :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe yes. I have 22K miles on an 02 Sprint RS. No problems at all...zero oil consumption (Amsoil synthetic) between oil changes every year (5K - 6K) and I flog it. Adjusted several valves at 12K but just checked them at 22K and none needed adjusting. Fabulous flat power band that is very usable/tractable. Plus over 50 MPG! Suspension on my 02 leaves a bit to be desired, but its not too bad and there are aftermarket fixes available. My first Triumph and it still is amazing to me!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is Triumph equal in quality to the Japanese bikes? Absolutely not. Triumph builds 'em way better. :-D

Joking aside, like the Japanese bikes, they're very well built. The engines seem to run forever. Anyone here actually worn out a Hinckley triple? I just brought in my bike for its 24,000 mile service, and the dealer said the engine was in great shape. Only one valve needed adjustment, and it was only off by a tiny bit. I've talked to guys with >50,000 miles on their bikes, and they said they'd had similar experiences.

Apart from minor electrical problems that seem to plague these bikes, I think most people are pretty happy with the build quality. And the electrical issues are by no means unique--I've owned two Japanese bikes, and both had their own electrical gremlins. So I don't think you can go wrong buying a Triumph, whether new or used.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you mean 'quality' as in engineering then IMO Triumph are as good as anyone else out there.

If, however, you are referring to 'fit & finish' then IMHO Triumph have a ways to go to match some of the Japanese brands.

I am very happy with the 'fit & finish' on my own bike, but I have seen several Sprints and other models @ various dealers that left a lot to be desired in this dept.

Cheers,

Grae

·
Registered
459 Posts
Try buying a Suzuki mate. All the fittings are made of cheese and corrode really easily. My Kwak Z750 that I traded for my RS was equally bad.

Kev

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I would say most definately.

I've generally been of the belief that inline Jap fours are good for 100,000kms.

There are lots of examples of high mileage Triumphs and the motors are usually in very good condition.

Try keeping a GPZ or GPX or Virago looking new, especially if you live near the coast.

When I bought my 99 ST, a Kwaka dealer tried everything he could to convince me that a Triumph wont hold up to everyday use. If I wanted reliability I had to go Japanese and the ZZR1100 was the choice I would be well advised to ride away on.

Four Triumphs later and I'm still the happiest bloke on a motorcycle. :-D

Brett.

·
Banned
336 Posts
As observed before, their engineering is up to scratch (with some reservations relating to cranks going on 2002-3 ST's as reported here) but the build quality and fit and finish has deteriorated since 2003. I would put them ahead of Suzuki and Kawasaki, level with Yamaha and behind Honda when it comes to their build quality.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Longevity wise, the Trumps are great, I have clocked now 70.000Km on mine.

The only out of the ordinary change I had to make were the stock head bearings (steering), they were corroded at about 45000Km.

But keep in mind that my bike is sleeping outside (under a roof), and in Belgium during winter the state is putting so much salt on the road that a pickled haring would run away from. (errrr... back to the topic hat hand).

I must say that the metal from the bolted on (factory) cases are having a bad case of rust.

My fork tubes are now also showing little spots of rust, but not in the "used" area.

Finish, is ok-ish. I've seen other bikes with a better finish, but I've seen a lot worse.

My fork tubes are now also showing little spots of rust, but not in the "used" area.

Finish, is ok-ish. I've seen other bikes with a better finish, but I've seen a lot worse.

[ This message was edited by: SpiderTex on 2007-03-08 02:37 ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts