Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of refreshing a 1969 TR6R I recently purchased. The clutch cable that came on the bike has this "ferrule" for the lack of a better term in it. It exposes the braided cable about one third of the way to the gear box and has a piece of red rubber hose that was perhaps intended to cover the ferrule. I have found pictures of clutch cables with similar ferrules. Is this a place where they intended an owner to oil his clutch cable? This bike is low miles and still has most of its original parts but I've never seen this before.
Wood Beige Grey Bag Metal
Wood Textile Grey Floor Flooring
Bicycle tire Tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame Bicycle fork

·
Registered
2009 Bonneville T100
852 Posts
Years ago I used plastic versions of these that could be retrofitted to cables. The intent was to use an oil can spout to inject oil.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've never seen one, interesting though, looks very practical.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
I've seen them in the 72 parts manual and always wondered why modern cables don't come with them as well. Seems like a good idea to me. Can't remember if mine came with them stock because it was 50 years ago. Man! Time flies, doesn't it.

Organ Gesture Font Line Slope

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
hi
Oil nipples, from the days when you had push to pressurise oil guns, the large I use for grease the small brass ones I use for oil (Norton Commando owners already know this).

Cylinder Wood Auto part Tool Drill accessories

Regards
Peg.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks,Peg! I got one of the small guns with the bike when I bought it. The seller threw in all the tools that her dad had accumulated for his Brit bikes. I had just never seen the oil nipple on a cable before nor had I read any info pertaining to them.
Wood Font Line Material property Gas

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Hi Happyfeet, John’s’69 Bonnie had the lube fitting. Prior owner used grease. The grease had hardened causing cable drag.

Was this cable original? I don’t know.

Replaced it with Barnett cable.
I have one of those little grease injectors also. We used them on older Mercedes door hinges.
Don

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Hi Happyfeet,
I like your ’Triumph’ spanner👍🏻

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
my 72 T120 had one of those oil ports, lots of clutch cables ago.

i needed an 8-inch oversize cable for my race bike up on maine. dug through a pile of NOS cables at british cycle supply and found one, and it has tbe oil port too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts