Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just food for thought .
How many people knows or head a friend of a friend that says they get over 20 miles per gallon on a stock old 350 motor
Need I say more !!!!!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
because i doubt at 14k my injectors could be dirty. It's suppose to be preventative too because the buildup won't stick to surfaces that have the light oil coating MMO imparts. Or so it's said ! yes, i don't believe till i have proof.

let me tell you a little story that might illustrate why i don't disbelieve or believe w/o proof. there is another "miracle" tweak you can do that is EXACTLY like MMO in that there are many who call it snake oil. In fact, thats exactly the words that were used when i tried it several years ago on my speedmaster. Like MMO it's been around for ages and there are people who swear it works but a legion thats much larger that call it snake oil. I tried it and it was w/o a shadow of a doubt NOT snake oil. I'm talking about side-gapping spark plugs for which i was lambasted for even mentioning it at several forums. It involves cutting the ground electrode back to expose the center electrode to the cylinder to produce better combustion. let me tell you this, and you can call BS if you want but i assure you you would be wrong. It flats out works amazingly well on AT LEAST MY SPEEDMASTER. I'm not saying this works on every machine, and from what i've been told it may not work on the Tbird due to the 2 plugs per cylinder. But on my speedmaster it was amazing. the mid range throttle response was improved well beyond placebo effect. The vibration was so much better the blurry aftermarket mirrors i had cleared up about 80%, and the unstable idle it always had became slid as a rock. at the time about 10 people tried it on my suggestion and of those only one noticed nothing, the rest varied from being happy with the results to being amazed at them. Still the majority never tried it and continually made jokes about it and insulted me.

It's a fact it works, but unless YOU try it on a bike that WILL improve with it, you'll be calling snake oil on that too.

My point here is that while like i said you are likely right, you COULD be wrong. And because thats a possibility no matter how much it sounds like snake oil the same as MMO, it DID work. A closed mind and over analyzing everything leads to never finding the gold. Thats my point call it what you will, but had i listened to everyone on the side gap issue i would never have tried it. And i DID recreate the benefits of that tweak because every now and then i'd throw un-modified plugs in to see if the difference was still apparent after months of becoming used to the modded plugs and forgetting what it ran like w/o them. I was never once left thinking the difference wasn't considerable. Maybe the best single mod i did to that bike, but according to most it was snake oil and they cited plenty of reasons just like with MMO naysayers. So i refuse to make assumption based on what others say w/o trying it for myself.

And Todd....there would have been many trying to save people time and trouble with the side gapped issue, but thankfully many tried and were happy they did. We aren't talking about spending a few hundred bucks here in modding the bike where it cannot be returned to stock.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I used to do that on my old mopars. Did it work ?slightly but a litttle is better than nothing. the theory is to unshroud the spark kernal. Split fire spark plugs uses the same idea.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't think thats true at all. there are a lot of arguments one could come up with against that notion, but one is MPG. Member andrew65 was getting 38mpg and after pouring some of the lucas stuff in got 42.85mpg. Thats a huge difference that I never see on mine except when i compare flogging the bike and riding like grandma. So unless he tested it while riding very differently than he does, there would be no way to explain a 5 MPG improvement. But more importantly there are a lot of people who report great improvements in MPG. We shall see. I know my bike's mileage like the back of my hand, so I will know if this works in that regard. And if it does then the only reason that could be happening is improved lubrication of the upper cylinders which any way you look at can only be good. On the other hand if you are right i'm out 4 bucks....i think i can still eat tomorrow. :D
I started using the Lucas to see if I would get any improvments in engine noise originally, I had about 2000 miles on my big bore and never got more than 38.whatever MPG on a tank after the upgrade. It took a couple of tankfuls to see an MPG improvment but I am getting 40-43 consistently now, that 42.85 was the high end and most of the time it is in the mid 40's now. I commute 55 miles each way every day and there is little if no difference in my use of the throttle on my commutes as I am going with traffic at 65-75. My mileage on weekends is usually at the lower end of the spectrum as I am on the throttle more then and on back roads a lot more. That has been my experience and I am going to do my commutes next week without the Lucas and see if my MPG drops back, not using at all this weekend either to work it out of the system to try and get a good test.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil has been around for many years. Well before STP for those of us old enough to remember that. It's a petroleum distillate that inhibits the formation of water droplets in gas, diesel and oil. It's also a lubricant and detergent. If your fuel system is dirty you can restore fuel economy to that of a clean engine. A good synthetic oil (the real cause of STP's death) will provide the reduced friction factors that drain engine efficiency.

Stabil and STARTRON both break up water droplets in the fuel tank. The STARTRON difference is that is enzyme based as opposed to petroleum distillate based Stabil and MMO.

The biggest thing standing in the way of better fuel economy in the U.S. is the government. The mandating use of ethanol to "stretch" (dilute) the fuel supply reduces the mileage of gasoline by nearly as much as it adds to the amount of fuel available. The result is that we are not getting any farther down the road, and paying more for it. The key is to restore the missing energy (rated in BTUs) ethanol takes away from a gallon of pure gasoline. Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT or MCMT) a replacement for TetraEthyl Lead (now only available in Aviation fuel in the U.S.) has been used as an octane booster for many years. In and out of favor with the EPA, the Canadians have used it for years (except for brief time in the late 90s) and Australians now have it. I don't know if MMT plays well with ethanol. I haven't heard of or seen any studies on the matter.

I've used MMO for years. With brand named (Shell, Chevron/Texaco and Exxon/Mobil) detergent fuels. At 48K on my wife's car I still had to drop in a can of 44K to stop the pressure sensor from turning on the "Check Engine" light indicating that the gas cap was loose when it wasn't. Her mileage was slipping before and improved after the 44K as well. I guess there is no Magic Bullet in any one product. You will need a specific product to resolve certain issues as they arise.

56R

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, with one tank under my belt with MMO in it i have yet to notice any change. i got a few more MPG, but thats likely just the normal variation and nothing big enough to think the MMO had anything to do with it. I'm going to run it w/o any for a few tanks just to get a better idea of what the average MPG is since i put the filter seal back in then try it again. If it still doesn't seem to do anything i may try that lucas stuff. I will also try techron even tho it apparently has no noticeable benefits like MPG or power, but it is widely believed to do a very good job of keeping deposits away. Something that in time could be the more important issue too.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Got 40 MPG this time. But a lot of freeway so i can't really count that i suppose. But i haven't seen 40 since it was a 1600. The best as a 1700 so far was 37, and that was with the stock map. Best till today with the custom map has been 34.

Anyways, too many variables since i started checking so i can't be sure. But man was it ever nice to see 40, and i wasn't riding like grandma either. I had consistently been going between a low of 31 and high of 34.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looks like i'm getting 40 or close every time now, so it wasn't just having been on the freeway for that one tank !!! But it's can't be the MMO, i believe (believe as in not sure but pretty darn sure) it's the air filter seal i replaced. I stopped putting MMO in and theres still some left since i always fill up by the time the light is on which leaves about 2.5 gallons in it. But theres very little left to be sure, so it's can't be that. Gotta be the seal. The bike runs a lot stronger in the low end with the seal back on. I was shocked. I think that since it's got considerably better low end power i don't require as much fuel to accelerate to a given degree, and thats where i know it really sucks fuel. Anyways, i'm quite relieved because i was averaging about 32-33 !

So anyone who's removed the seat duct or even just the seal itself, put it back on ! You gain a very slight bit of HP in the higher RPM's, but the low end you gain with the seal back on is far more noticeable and your MPG will be a heck of a lot better ! I'm doing close to as good as i did as a 1600 now .

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't know what to make of my results, the first tank with no Lucas netted 38.5, worst I have had since I began using it, but then my last two tanks were at the upper range I have been getting since I began using it at 42.89 and 42.99. There is one difference though, my last two fillups have been at a Shell station near work and I usually fill up at the Chevron near my house. This makes me wonder if the pumps are calibrated in the stations favor near my house. I am going to do two weeks of filling up at the same station now without and then go back to using it for two weeks and see if I get a definitive difference.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Always use the same station when you check mileage. In fact, i try and use the same exact pump if possible. Also, if you DO use a different place look at the inspection sticker on the pump and see how recent it is.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Finally getting back to replying on this with longer term results. Have done a longer term test and did get slightly better mileage when using the lucas oil upper cylinder lubricant.

With 51.34 gal 2157.82 miles
avg. 42.03 best tank 44.05

Without 49.78 gal 2039.98 miles
avg. 40.98 best tank 42.99

So about a 1 mpg difference, not as much as I originally thought, probably due to the fact I was breaking in the big bore at the time I was getting the poor mileage, it is now well broken in with over 8k miles on it. Not sure if it is worth the money for the extra 1 mpg but I do like the way it runs better when I am using it, it just seems to run smoother than without it. I am going to just putting it in every other tank now and may try marvel mystery oil when this bottle runs out to see how that is.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There are lots of variables as outside air temp at the time of the year riding more or less highway miles and traffic idling and riding habits, that stuff is just snake oil

21 - 32 of 32 Posts