Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran up on 11,000 miles and I'm preparing for a little scheduled maintenance. Friday I will drop the Scrambler off at the dealer for a little warrenty work (replace leaky petcock & weeping cam cover gasket) and I'm asking the dealer to check the valve clearances while they're in there...probably be a few out of spec, figure $200 min. I did a little math and so far (not including gas) the "consumables" are eight cents per mile. Things like tires, oil, filters, etc. That's a little more than a brand new Cadillac! Is it the parts or do bikes just chew this stuff up faster than cars?

I bought some 12k mile check-up supplies and here's what I've got so far (all prices include tax and or ship):

$53.96 - K&N air filter (MADSS)
$43.31 - 4 quarts of Mobil 1 10W-40 4T (Auto Barn)
$30.58 - EBC Double H Sintered F brake pads (MADSS)
$12.56 - K&N oil filter KN-204 (MADSS)
$6.00 - 2 NGK spark plugs DPR8EA-9 (local Honda dealer)
So for a basic (do-it-yourself) tune up I'm up to $146.41 - add two or three hundred bucks for valve adjustment. Synching the carbs?! who knows? and we're up to $450!

I ride alot, so maybe I'm not average. I Bought this Scram new in Sept. of 08 - so five months later on on the second set of tires, F&R brake pads and I'm doing the second oil change. I understand that most people aren't in the saddle as much. However, do the math (per mile) and this bike is pricey to run!

Aside from not doing the maintenance at all, or buying inferior gear, am I missing any tricks as far as saving money on maintenance?

·
30,533 Posts
Skidplate - that's pretty normal. Bikes consume their parts a lot faster than cars. Remember pads are completely different in size, tires made of a lot stickier rubber compound etc etc.

It's just the way it is!

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
bikes being cheap is a common misconception. They only thing they're cheap on is gas.

mile per mile, you'd be better off in just about any car, especially a cheap subcompact. Hell, my vw jetta diesel gets a lot better mpg than my bonnie!

I'd do your valves for you cheaper than the dealer if you brought it to my place, but it might be a tad too far :D

·
30,533 Posts
To be honest - if you're fairly handy and can do the oil changes and stuff yourself, you should read up on the valve job - a couple of important tools are needed, but they are readily available, not horrifically expensive and the payback is instantaneous. It's not super difficult, but does require patience and mechanical aptitude.

You can read about what is involved here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/96205-12000-mile-service-overview.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/66943-thruxton-valve-adjustments.html

Get a workshop manual as well.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
maintenance

Whatever you do, don't skimp on maintenance or you will end up with it costing more down the line.
I guess we all think things are expensive these days, I come from a generation that bought Triumphs for $800-1,000, gas was .25 a gallon, oil .15 cents a quart and a new Chevvy pickup was $1,200, darn I miss those days!!
These days auto maintenance is expensive as it is on bikes, it's just the price of the ticket for the "A" ride.
But you gotta do it, no getting around that, I have always felt that bikes were way more sensitive to being out of tune and adjustment, I holed a piston on a 66 bonnie by just being lazy and not adjusting the valves when they were due. That was an expensive lesson.
About all we can do is complain about the high cost, it won't do a darn thing but provide a good excuse to grumble about something for a while.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
bikes being cheap is a common misconception. They only thing they're cheap on is gas.

mile per mile, you'd be better off in just about any car, especially a cheap subcompact.
+1 to that. They're expensive to maintain. Say it with me... "I am NOT a cheap bastard."

·
Registered
762 Posts
I had a small local bike mechanic do my 12,000 mile service and throw on a new metzler 880 marathon tire on the front and it cost $340.00. Btw he said my valves were dead nuts.........

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I had a small local bike mechanic do my 12,000 mile service and throw on a new metzler 880 marathon tire on the front and it cost $340.00. Btw he said my valves were dead nuts.........
you could have checked your own valves for free, and only an hour of your time. Checking the valve lash is very easy and only requires a set of feeler gauges.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
Your valves were dead nuts? What does that mean?

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
If it's any consolation, my local postman mostly rides a BMW GS 1200 and is forever moaning about BMW service costs. Today he tells me that after 27000 miles (and out of warranty) he needs a new clutch! The new part all by itself will cost £750

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
Try pricing a valve adjustment on a Ducati.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm starting to think I don't ride enough -

11k miles in only 5 months. :eek:

Wow -

I'm running 6k on 18 months (weather in OH sucks 6 mos a year)

color me impressed

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Unless you are all thumbs, the majority of this stuff can be done easily. Plus, you have all these guys here for tips if you need it. Man, the shops are a pain to get the bike there, wait, pick it up, expensive, all sorts of crap. Unless it is a warranty thing, a shop is a last resort - or, maybe, if you are too drunk to work on the machine LOL.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's both - I'm cheap and this stuff is pricey!

For the record, I regularly do my own maintenance. I was moaning about the price of $50+ air filters, $10+ quarts of Mobil 1 4T, $400 for tires every 8 to 10 thousand miles, etc...that kind of stuff. I think it is because motorcycling is looked upon as a hobby - not as many customers, smaller production batches = higher prices.

I will go to a dealership for warranty work, but anything else I try to swing myself with the help of my Triumph shop manual and this site.

I can check valve clearances - I bought the feeler guage. They have to replace the cam cover gasket under warranty, so I figured if they're in there already, why not?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You know, Skid, I have read that air filters do pretty much the same regardless, so I bought a stock filter for my Bonneville from Bike Bandit for I think 26 bucks and I get filters at Auto Zone for about 5 bucks, same with plugs, etc. The oil is costly but what can you do?
I see the motorcycle as being somewhat cost effective, considering how much use I get out if it for work and fun. :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Davidc were not getting any money from the government, unless we are millionaires that stole and ran our companies into the ground.

·
30,533 Posts
This technical thread isn't going to become a political discussion. Keep that in Biker Hang Out please chaps!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts