Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I recognize that this is the kind of post that might put some folks off because:
  1. There are ways to check for major issues, including during routine maintenance (eg flakes in the oil)
  2. Opening up the bike is a good opportunity to learn more about it
  3. The sound in videos is going to be vastly different from actually walking around the bike.
  4. It provides a venue to provide no detail on other symptoms- "Hey y'all, this sound broke?". Leading to number 5
  5. More specific questions can be asked about particular symptoms other than solely the sound in a video.
With those knowns and guidelines, is there value in having a place to post such? Has this been addressed previously? I ask this as a novice myself, and I know a lot of folks, particularly when buying an old bike wonder if what they're hearing when they meet up with a seller (or after) has any big red flags. My single (TR25W) has some sounds that I'd question on newer bikes, but every video I've seen of them they have the same quirks. I also recognize that a single is going to generally not be as smooth running as a double or triple. Thanks for your thoughts, and I'll post some details and video on mine if this isn't too inflammatory.

EDIT:
Link to video: IMG_3613.MOV
It starts on the first kick, and I'm not having any issues with it. I need to check the valve clearances shortly, but it seems like all of these tick quite a bit. I did notice the plug was loose immediately shooting this, but it was not rattling. I don't pick up any off sounds low in the engine- all the rattling is up top. As mentioned previously, it looks to sound pretty similar to the other bikes I've seen on the web.

EDIT EDIT:
I can say easily that this is the most friendly and helpful forum I've been a part of. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
These old bikes certainly have more noise than japanese bikes. You have a chain primary and pushrods.The valve gaps are often larger than modern bikes. Post a video on youtube with a link.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Hi rhinowalrus, These bikes are really noisy. They get much, way noisier when heat soaked after a few hours of riding, especially on hot day. If you didn't know better you'd think it had serious problem. They sound like they will blow up, but seldom do.

Would be fun to hear video. You could compare to youtube vids. Lots of them. The sharp ticking of motor is generally much more pronounced on video than in person. In your case, you have nothing to compare to in person. Generally when things go bad the motor knocks so bad people on the sidewalk think it will blow. Sometimes (often??) the motor will blow without out any warning. Generally that's from sudden lack of oil or rod fracture. I think oil pressure light or gauge is a good idea. I've seen light winking on at idle on several bikes that had pump issues(twins). This saved the motor as pressure was corrected before major damage. Just my opinion.

Please post a vid.
Don

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hi Rhinowalrus,
I don’t think you can fit an oil pressure gauge to the pre 1970 engines, it is easy to tell if you have an oil warning lamp, then you can fit a gauge - if you don’t then you cannot fit one easily. If you can fit a gauge then believe me it is a good idea on these engines.

I bought a BSA version to take part in some long distance trials, but blew it up (big ends) before I could take part. So I spent a year updating and rebuilding. Then took part the year after.

The weak spot on these are the big ends, so always be aware of a deep knock low in the engine, especially on overrun.

when you ride, don’t plod the engine it will do more harm than good, the camshaft needs 3500-4000 rpm to work anyway, redline is about 8000 rpm, 7000 might be more sympathetic to the engine.

There is a lot you can do to make these engines stronger.

regards
Peg.
PS (Nice smile btw).

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Hi rhinowalrus, I agree 100% with Rambo. That's how they sound. The clatter is loud but normal. See what I mean by the loud harsh ticking on video is worse than real life? Again when heat soaked hot day it'll be half again louder.
Don

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi rhinowalrus, I agree 100% with Rambo. That's how they sound. The clatter is loud but normal. See what I mean by the loud harsh ticking on video is worse than real life? Again when heat soaked hot day it'll be half again louder.
Don
We get a lot of those hot days here in Austin. Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hi Rhino,
It’s a little noisy on the tappets, but they all are. I don’t think they put quietening ramps on the camshaft profile, prioritising power over silence.

If you have not already done so, it might be worthwhile checking the valve clearances.
But I don’t think there is anything to unduly worry about.

Regards
Peg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Rhinowalrus,
I don’t think you can fit an oil pressure gauge to the pre 1970 engines, it is easy to tell if you have an oil warning lamp, then you can fit a gauge - if you don’t then you cannot fit one easily. If you can fit a gauge then believe me it is a good idea on these engines.

I bought a BSA version to take part in some long distance trials, but blew it up (big ends) before I could take part. So I spent a year updating and rebuilding. Then took part the year after.

The weak spot on these are the big ends, so always be aware of a deep knock low in the engine, especially on overrun.

when you ride, don’t plod the engine it will do more harm than good, the camshaft needs 3500-4000 rpm to work anyway, redline is about 8000 rpm, 7000 might be more sympathetic to the engine.

There is a lot you can do to make these engines stronger.

regards
Peg.
PS (Nice smile btw).
Thanks Peg, Have been on a few rides and plan to keep her as a neighborhood/short commuter and potentially a bike I can bring to ROT here in Austin with antique (limited use) plates. No intentions of running hard. I appreciate the sweet remark! Need to get a commendable backdrop and photo for my two very much prettier Triumph girls to replace my google-provided image one of these days. Have lots of time at home and a good spot nearby, so it sounds like a good way to kill time soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if the top end doesn't make some noise the tappets are too tight/if it doesn't leak any oil you are out of oil
Haven't seen an oil leak yet! But I have a tingling feeling that A previous owner tightened things up- immediate previous owner had it for a year, and didn't do much. Also said he wasn't the one who dumped it. It had body and tank damage and a broken clutch lever on the left side, which are fixed now. Most of the wiring looks new and is color-coordinated to Lucas standards. Kicks on the first start. Oil looks new and is at the high end of the acceptable dipstick range. I'm going to change it before I run it more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't seen an oil leak yet! But I have a tingling feeling that A previous owner tightened things up- immediate previous owner had it for a year, and didn't do much. Also said he wasn't the one who dumped it. It had body and tank damage and a broken clutch lever on the left side, which are fixed now. Most of the wiring looks new and is color-coordinated to Lucas standards. Kicks on the first start. Oil looks new and is at the high end of the acceptable dipstick range. I'm going to change it before I run it more.
Also, original odo had 40k miles on it. Was bashed hard when it was dumped, and I have it in a box. New odo was put on by the new owner, and appears the same as the original. I don't imagine the original engine hasn't been rebuilt after 40k miles, but who knows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the best stuff i found for stopping leaks was some kind of high end gasket stuff called Hylomar Blue racing formula. rumor used to be it was developed by British turbine engine company. I guess british turbine engines had trouble with leaking oil too.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi Ryan,

What Peg said^^. It's a little tappetty IMHO, so maybe check the tappet clearances, but other than that it sounds fine on tickover. Ride it and see what it sounds like then. Listen for gearbox noises too. I reckon you've got a good one there.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
It was always said, these 250s were the fastest accelerating 250 when it was brought to the learner market. Faster than Japanese 250s at that time. This might be a reason so many were wrecked trying to get the most output. The 1967 BSA Barracuda seemed to be the worst for engine blow ups. I would think a good looked after one would run many miles with a more careful rider.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was always said, these 250s were the fastest accelerating 250 when it was brought to the learner market. Faster than Japanese 250s at that time. This might be a reason so many were wrecked trying to get the most output. The 1967 BSA Barracuda seemed to be the worst for engine blow ups. I would think a good looked after one would run many miles with a more careful rider.
Obviously will not exactly my go-to go-fast :) I hope to bring her on surface streets to ROT rally here in Austin, and put around the neighborhood, the nearby hills, and nearby to work from time to time. It'll be on loan to my stepfather for a bit when I've got it in what I think is acceptable shape- he used to ride in the CA desert with Steve McQueen on his TR6C, and although this isn't the same machine I think he'll have some fun on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts