Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I've said, I'm looking to get a slightly used Sprint ST. I found this one nearby and plan on taking a look at it in a couple of days. I'm looking for some feedback on whether you guys think this is a good deal, if the price is high or what. I'm a little concerned with the mileage, 21k, and it appears as if they're using a stock photo rather than one of the actual bike.

Any/all comments appreciated.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2006-Triumph-Sprint-ST-94872129

Here's the eBay link with pics of the actual bike.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:317|65:12|39:1|240:1318

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yup, thats a stock photo.

Even with 21k, thats a pretty average price...depending on actual condition.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I was at Gengras this past Saturday, at their open house. I looked at this bike in passing, and I think the price is a bit high. Unless they have two '06's for sale, there's some road rash on the main fairing panel, and also on the pannier on the right side and the bike has that rode-hard -and put-up- wet vibe to it, although it looks like it got a good douching recently. If you can negotiate some replacement panels, and get them to waive that 300.00 "conveyance fee" it might bear some discussion but I wouldn't offer much over 6.5K with that said. I know they want to move the bike...ask for Forrest, one of the sales team, he's a straight guy.

denoose

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, esp. the first hand from denoose. What kind of mileage life can I expect of the Sprint? This would/will be my first Triumph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to take the Sprint for a test ride yesterday. Overall, I was less than impressed with the dealer. The bike was filthy! It looks like it was left outside in the rain. Other than that it looked in decent shape. The rubber on the footpegs looked a little worn, and there were some good scratches on the right side pannier, like maybe they tried to squeeze in a small space. But other than that, it looked ok.

But I have a question for you Triumph guys, as this is my first experience with them. Is the engine always so noisy? It's sounds very busy. I expected a big difference from my Yama 4 to the Triumph triple and I wasn't disappointed. :eek: I'm guessing it's pretty normal.

I liked the way the bike rode. It didn't feel heavy, hell it even felt easier to manage at low speed maneuvers than my R6. And the power was great.

My only negatives were the sound of the motor (which I prob just have to get used to) and the overall condition of the bike was disappointing. I can't believe the dealer (Gengras) would have it in such poor condition. Oh and the salesman had to go and get gas in it before I took it out. I gave him a couple hours notice, you think he might have checked the bike over?

Anyway, just wanted to share my impressions with you guys.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Don't let the dirty condition bother you, yes you would think the dealer would have cleaned it up but perhaps they have reduced staff etc with the economic times, lack of gas given your notice to try it out is inexcusable. See what you can find for service records on the bike, oil change intervals, other required service etc. That should give you some indication of the care the bike has had.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
I was able to take the Sprint for a test ride yesterday. Overall, I was less than impressed with the dealer. The bike was filthy! It looks like it was left outside in the rain. Other than that it looked in decent shape. The rubber on the footpegs looked a little worn, and there were some good scratches on the right side pannier, like maybe they tried to squeeze in a small space. But other than that, it looked ok.

But I have a question for you Triumph guys, as this is my first experience with them. Is the engine always so noisy? It's sounds very busy. I expected a big difference from my Yama 4 to the Triumph triple and I wasn't disappointed. :eek: I'm guessing it's pretty normal.

I liked the way the bike rode. It didn't feel heavy, hell it even felt easier to manage at low speed maneuvers than my R6. And the power was great.

My only negatives were the sound of the motor (which I prob just have to get used to) and the overall condition of the bike was disappointing. I can't believe the dealer (Gengras) would have it in such poor condition. Oh and the salesman had to go and get gas in it before I took it out. I gave him a couple hours notice, you think he might have checked the bike over?

Anyway, just wanted to share my impressions with you guys.

Bryan

yes it is normal for the engines to be a little noisey and yes it will be an easier bike in general to ride than your R6 because it has a much more useful spread of power through out the rev range and doesn't need big revs before it starts pulling strongly like a supersport does.

At least they don't rattle like a bucket of bolts like some European brands do!:D

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I personally would be curious to hear this bike started from cold, just a theory here- don't call them, just show up and see what she sounds like from cold. I'm still of the opinion that this bike has not enjoyed the treatment our Sprints justify and are generally accustomed to....

denoose

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I personally would be curious to hear this bike started from cold, just a theory here- don't call them, just show up and see what she sounds like from cold. I'm still of the opinion that this bike has not enjoyed the treatment our Sprints justify and are generally accustomed to....

denoose
I'm pretty sure he started it cold when I got there. If he didn't take the time to clean it or even put gas in it, I doubt it was started recently. It was outside, but they probably put it outside in the morning. They could have even pushed it out. I don't really know what to look/listen to, but I didn't notice anything that seemed peculiar. It started right up.

I agree with it not looking like it wasn't well kept. Besides the scratch on the right side pannier, the rubber on the footpegs seemed worn and there was a big mark in the windscreen, which was a shorter aftermarket one.

As for the dirtiness, even the inside of the panniers was dirty.

Of course he offered me next to nothing for my R6 ($3k) which I expected. But I just listed it for sale on the R6 forums.

The salesman, Forest, called me back today, but I didn't talk to him. I'll probably call him next week and tell him I'm not interested and just keep my eye out for a better one.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Above average price,

Below average condition/iffy history,

Lackadaisical attitude by Dealer. Heck, even their Cycletrader ad has flaws.

That's three strikes, from where I'm sitting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts