Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats what the guy said, but the chart I found here said a 58? I dont think thats right either. Whats the deal with the #s being like this? (monday morning?) Will 66 tranny parts fit this?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hi Skunk. 21 H2150 Built December 1957 as a 1958 model and shipped to Triumph Corporation, Baltimore, MD. Yes, most of the 1966 parts will fit. Can I also suggest you fit a primary chain tensioner from a BSA C15 as your bike does not have one. If you fit a new chain, don't bother with the above.
Do you also have the distributor? If so. check the adavance / retard mechanism, fit new points and condenser.
Great little motors and almost unbreakable............. you do have to wiat for the power though!!!
Roy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

I thought unit construction began in 63? Was that for 650s? or have I jumbled thoughts? anyway here's another pix of the other side and of a wrench that came in a bot of bits, is this a Triumph tool
the one in question is on the left

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks GrandPaulZ

Yes I knew it was a 500. I thought that All Triumphs went to "unit" in 63. So that is why I did'nt think it could be a 58. The 66 in the photo (on the right) was locked up when I got it (see gears in 3rd pic)and thats why I picked up the other lower end. Is there any required reading about owning a Older Triumph? 500's or otherwise... so thats not a wrench....anymore? I've been useing it as one on the big slotted screw caps....

·
Registered
970 Posts
When splitting the crankcases, do NOT forget the screws holding the cases together that are hidden on the lugs inside the casting where the barrels slide in beside the tappet block holes.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
hey skunk , what's the ser # on the '66 motor ? curious cause it has distributor boss bored but with a plug and wondering . '67 boss is there but not bored .

cheers , Woody

·
Registered
482 Posts
GPZ, I think it's a 350 as the clue is 21, 21 cubic inches, Triumph called it a twenty one with the script on the sidepanel/bathtub.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the plot thickens.....

I guess maybe that I did'nt "know" it was a 500? A 350?? I will let you guys hash this out....Woody, I know that the #s start with H47xxx if you need the rest I'l have to go to the shop...Thanks guys still waiting for more......

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Both TBS and GPZ are right....... it's a Twentyone, 350cc BUT it has been fitted with conrods from a 500. The Twentyone had steel conrods with a smaller little end bush.
Skunk, the plate/spanner/tool in the picture next to the timing gears does not fit any Triumph that I know?
Regarding the dating, check out www.tomcc.org and follow the link to the Dating service.
Roy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a Good Day

When Everybodys Right! Thank you all. The "tool" came to me years ago in a box of Triumph parts, I thought it looked like one tool in a emergency kit....yes panda I saw those hiding in there...Those timing gears are out of the '66. It looks like a fresh rebuild, except for them gears. and the slop behind them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts