Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if my centerstand is OEM or aftermarket, but it is hell getting the Bonneville onto the stand ... I've had it up once, and literally had to lift it up.

I remember, back in the '60s, a friend had a '59 or '60 T-110, and while straddling the bike, he just stepped down on the lever sticking out from the stand while pulling back on the handlebars, and the bike would damn near jump onto the stand by itself.

How would you all suggest I get it up without killing myself? Perhaps rolling the rear tire onto a piece of plywood, and then trying to lift it (not quite so far to lift)?:confused:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
A Little Practice

Dan, I had the same experience when I installed a Norman Hyde stand. Lifting, pushing, leaning, it was a real pain. When it did work, it just went right up and I couldn't figure out how...

Mostly, it's a matter of stepping down hard on the centerstand arm, putting all your weight straight down onto it, while steadying and lifting a little on the subframe just behind the shocks (I find it works best if I'm facing the back of the bike).

It's still kinda tough to do until you figure out the body english and what works for you. It kinda sucks, but I spent about a 1/2 hour just going on and off the stand until I could do it pretty well.

Good Luck and Be Safe.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes a lot of sense ... thanks. This morning in the garage I was trying it, but then I got to thinking - "hey, dummy, you're wearing shower clogs!"

I'll try the practicing, with my boots on.:D

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
It's all in the technique, no muscles involved. Search youtube for "centerstand" or try this one

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Put a slightly larger tire on the rear--I went from 130/80 (stock) to 130/90--and it becomes very easy. The tire also barely clears the garage floor.

This was an unintended side effect of an unintended tire size change. :)

Other than that, it's in the technique. You'll get the hang of it after some practice.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Put a slightly larger tire on the rear--I went from 130/80 (stock) to 130/90--and it becomes very easy. The tire also barely clears the garage floor.

This was an unintended side effect of an unintended tire size change. :)

Other than that, it's in the technique. You'll get the hang of it after some practice.
+1 I'm running a 140/80 which is just slightly taller than the stock 130/80, but it is easier with the 140 to get the bike on the stand.

Another suggestion .... if you're normally using the sidestand only in the garage, you could keep a small piece of wood maybe 12" x 12" x 3/4" and roll the back tire onto the board before attempting to get the bike on the stand.

BTW Dan, my W650 went on the stand like your buddy's old 60's bike. I had to actually remember to pull less hard when lifting, since it, too, practically jumped on the stand.

Bob

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the U-Tube video ... "that actually looked phoney."

I practiced this A.M., and except for scratching my garage flloor (nice paint job), it worked fine - a little heavy, but fine. Like said above, it's in the technique.

A little obvious, but you have to put your weight on the little bar coming off the stand, and make sure that all the force is exerted either straight down, or towards the front. If the force is directed towards the rear, you're wasting your time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
good shoes

Make sure you have a good pair of shoes with hard soles.( not flip flops or slippers) Make sure both center stand legs are touching the ground, bend your right leg, grab the frame near the rear and straighten up your leg as you lift up on your right arm. Should come right up for ya. Maybe you should have someone on the other side of the bike until you get used to it. Once you get it, you got it.
Good luck.

·
Read Only
176 Posts
+1 what Isle de Triumph said. I used to have difficulty at first but it's easy now. I also pull the bike backwards at the same time and it simply roles onto the OEM stand.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Don't have one

I don't have a center stand on my bonnie, so I can't help you hauling her up. It should be easy to get her off of it. Just stand on the pegs, run her up to about 7 grand on the tach, and just drop back on the rear of the seat. Should come right off that stand. :motorbike2:
I can't believe I posted this.
have a great day.. Frank

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
+1 what Isle de Triumph said. I used to have difficulty at first but it's easy now. I also pull the bike backwards at the same time and it simply roles onto the OEM stand.
Exactly, and what everyone else said about technique. I have the Norman Hyde and it goes up pretty easy - weight down and pulling up/ever so slightly rearward. I put a couple of fingers under/around the saddlebag guard near the bolt. Seems sturdy enough, but someone would do well to make a nice little handrail.

I think the problem is more due to height (at 6'1", mine and the bike's). It's not the easiest I have ever had but certainly not the worst. I think that title would go to the old R75/6 I had with the Reynolds Ride-off. Ugh! :cool:

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I have a 1st generation Rivco aftermarket stand on my 07SM bagger. That sucker is a challenge to roll on the stand, regardless of technique. My solution is a short piece of wood under the rear tire. It pops right up that way.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have the Rivco center stand on my 08 America and found it more difficult than putting my Valkyrie (which is much heavier) on the Rivco center stand. I removed the passenger seat and have the Triumph chrome rack, so I use the chrome rack for a grab spot as I put pressure on the center stand with my foot. It takes some effort, but it seems to be getting easier with practice. Good luck with yours.

Stan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts