Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I didn't mess up. Jumped my 2000 thunderbird 900 and all of a sudden the starter stopped working. I know not to grind on it of course, I can hear and feel the solenoid click. I there a fuse protecting the starter in this model? I had put a new battery in and it was starting. I just messed up. What should I check? No smoke of course. It feels like a fuse but where? Fuse box all are good.
Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember now, I did not jump this bike. I put a new battery in and it was starting for the last few days. I went out yesterday and just click from the starter solenoid. Then I tried jumping it with no avail. Also checked voltages and battery was up to proper 12.94v. I can't remember when I was starting ford trucks at the solenoid whether the unit itself still clicked when bad or was completely silent.
I may try to jump the solenoid and test it that way to see if internal connections are being made. Still need to research the manual to see if there is a fuse on the starter itself.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Both of my triumphs need a good battery to crank. I use a battery tender to keep them charged. And I think you’ll hear of stories about trying to start them with a weak battery. I would make sure it’s fully charged before trying again.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
What is the voltage on the battery when you press the starter button? If it's good, move the positive probe to the hot side of the solenoid and retest. Then to the negative side, then to the starter. When the voltage disappears, you've just moved past the problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed! Traced all and found no problem above the starter. But before taking the starter out, I harkened back to basic farm practices and just gently tapped it. Started right up. The previous owner had a low battery in the bike and I suspect carboned a spot on the armature contact area. So this winter, I'll bull the armature and just burnish the contact. The bike has 8K miles on it so I was startled that it was having an issue. Anyway its fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a intermittent non start on my 2004 TBSport a few years ago and found the contacts on the push starter button switch dirty, a good clean and no problem since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts