Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep looking at the Speed Triple. I haven't ridden one yet. I love the looks. I have reservations about it's all weather performance: no rear fender (so in the wet does it shoot a rooster tail?), stubby front fender (so it throws crud into the oil cooler). I could live without a fairing as a wind break (says he from the warmth of his office). I've heard great things about the engine and handling. I'm scared of the brakes (lever to bar required for action). The rear seat looks like it was designed as an afterthought (maybe by the Marquis de Sade).

The thing is, if you changed all of that stuff, you wouldn't have a speed triple. It would be an updated Trident (there's an idea).

I've heard that Triumph is planning a bike for the ZX-14/Hayabusa niche. I wonder.....

Anyway, I was wondering what the owners think?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
First, go take a test ride and form your own opinions from your own experiences.

Then, If you have reservations about some issues - move on. There are LOTS of other options.

A bike should stir your soul. It should be an experience as much as a form of transportation. It should be fun.

If the Speed Triple doesn't stir your soul, look at other options. It may not be for you. But you will not know anything without a test ride.

[ This message was edited by: Devious2XS on 2007-02-13 09:25 ]

·
Registered
919 Posts
Definitely DO NOT RIDE one. If you do then all hope is lost. You will sell your soul to the Devil for one. Turn back now!

Fenders, we don't need no stinkin' fenders! Brakes have been sorted by the factory. Just remove the passenger pegs so the pillion seat is a non-issue.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You've got it right about the fenders, especially if you decide to "tail-tidy" her.
But what's a bit of mud on the jacket (and all over the back side of the bike, for that matter :-D ) when you can't stop grinning?

Just give her a try already!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Go and try one! When I did I was sold. I just had to have one..no matter what.
And I see the looks of my friends faces when they have tried it. A look of: Hey I want that bike but I can´t admitt it...
The brakes are good, the engine i perfect and the looks is great! :upthumb:

·
Registered
242 Posts
even if your not sold on the look it will grow on you quickly after you ride the bike. i got a lot of slack from friends and roomate when i pulled it in next to my bonnie, then sold the bonnie, but now i love the s3 look.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you buy a rear hugger it will help with the spray from the rear tire on you shock. As far as the motor goes......... good god....it is heaven on earth. Smooth, flat torque curve. I looked for a full year before I decided on speedy. For the money it is a fantastic bike. I have not heard of anyone yet who has bought one that is disapointed. It is comparable to an s4r but at half the price.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I plan on a ride during the March open house at Joe's Cycle in Dayton.

Frankly, I'm inclined to heed dr. Gallup.

BTW, great response time-are you all so fast 'cause the bike is so fast?

What's your longest time/day/mileage in the saddle (does she travel well)?

Zip

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
1% yes the bike throws up a rooster tail, especially if you chop the tail......front rad, well yes and no. Fit a rad/oil guard and most of the crud doesn't hit the rad and oil cooler.
Okay let's say 1% against. Front brake not an issue, new bikes have problem licked, and old ones easily cured.
My (smallish) pillion rider has no complaints about the seat.
So it's 2% imperfect or 98% perfect.
Any bikes out there 100% perfect?

[ This message was edited by: Avi8or on 2007-02-13 12:32 ]

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
On 2007-02-13 09:04, zippythehog wrote:
I keep looking at the Speed Triple. I haven't ridden one yet. I love the looks. I have reservations about it's all weather performance: no rear fender (so in the wet does it shoot a rooster tail?), stubby front fender (so it throws crud into the oil cooler). I could live without a fairing as a wind break (says he from the warmth of his office). I've heard great things about the engine and handling. I'm scared of the brakes (lever to bar required for action). The rear seat looks like it was designed as an afterthought (maybe by the Marquis de Sade).

The thing is, if you changed all of that stuff, you wouldn't have a speed triple. It would be an updated Trident (there's an idea).

I've heard that Triumph is planning a bike for the ZX-14/Hayabusa niche. I wonder.....

Anyway, I was wondering what the owners think?
It is admittedly not a great all-weather bike, but that fact hasn't bothered me in the least. You can leave the rear fender on if you want, and also add a hugger, which is a good idea, and doesn't detract from anything, imo. The brakes shouldn't be an issue anymore. I got an April, '06 built one, and they are fine. The only concern of yours I would take seriously is the rear seat (that is, if you want to put an adult human on it.) There is a lower and more forward peg setup available from GSG I think, and you can also get a grab bar, which I have, so you can improve things. If you can't get past these issues, there is always the new Tiger, in which you get the 1050 engine with all its grin factor, all the weather protection you should need, and a good rear seat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts