Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dumped the scooter really hard at work, 3 weeks ago (the company scooter, not my Triumph). I fell on outstretched hands and hyper-extended both my wrists that resulted in a bad sprain to each wrist. Because it happened at work, and because I didn't want to become a safety statistic, I didn't seek medical attention. Thinking that the pain would go away in a matter of weeks, if not days, I continued to go to work each day... and the fact that my job is merely operating a computer (for the most part).

The pain in my wrists and forearms was excruciating for the first 2 days after the fall. The following several days (approx 2 weeks) the pain began to subside a little more each day. However, it's been just over 3 weeks since the scooter incident and the pain has not improved much, if any, over the last few days (almost a week). The pain is no longer constant, but is still felt in my wrists at the base of my thumbs if I twist my arms. It also still hurts up into my forearms when I apply pressure to my fingers or thumbs in a number of different directions.

So my questions are for anyone with any orthopedic knowledge, or anyone who has experienced a really bad sprain.

Can it take longer than 3 weeks for a bad sprain to heal and stop hurting completely? Do you think after this amount of time that if it's not completely healed I may have torn something? Would X-rays reveal any torn ligaments or such?

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Road Dog I'm not a doctor but a military trained pararescue. My first suggestion is go see your physician.

When you hyperextended your wrists, you not only would over extend the ligaments and tendons on both ends at wrists and forearms but you would generally take most of the lateral force on your thumbs. There is always the possibility of a compression fracture but that is something you would have to consult your physician about. Additionally you would have internal bruising and minor tearing of the muscles in the forearm. There is also the possibility of minor nerve damage or compression similar to carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you have any swelling or deep blue brusing around your wrists or thumbs?

Couple things I would suggest you do is use an anti-inflammatory like Motrin, or Aleve if your able and follow the directions for use. Go to your local Walgreens and buy a couple of wrist braces. This will help you to support the damaged tissue. Make sure you take breaks to allow your wrists to rest when typing. If they start to swell or you loose feeling go to the doctor immediately. Make sure you soak you wrists in as warm a water as you can stand for about 15 minutes and then follow it up with a cold pack for 15 minutes each night. This will elevate some of the internal swelling and discomfort.

Not being able to look at your injuries is a great hindrance but it does take a long time for this type of injury to heal. X-Rays very rarely show tendon or ligament damage. A Sonogram will and possibly and MRI. I'd say truthfully your looking at some discomfort for about a month or more. It's a common injury for soldiers who take dives to the ground with their firearms. maybe not as sever but very similar.

If it persists for longer without change, go see your physician.

Be careful and give your wrists and forearms a chance to heal, no weight lifting, or strenous use of the wrist for at least a month. I hope this helps some in your recovery.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a PHd in BS and I feel completely confident in the following recomendation:
GET YOUR ASS AN XRAY.
your wrists are a vital component in the bodies ability to function properly day to day as I'm sure your figuring out. If an Xray doesnt show anything significant ask for an MRI.
Thats my .02 and no I am not a doctor.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Good advice from Skull there, I would take it. Another point is the older you are the longer it takes to heal but seek professional advice.

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sprained are a partially or completely torn ligament, and take up to 6 weeks to heal, as does broken bones.

Given that it hurts at the base of your thumb, a scaphoid fracture is a possibility. It should show up on x ray at 3 weeks.

Worse case scenario is that you have bilateral fractured scaphoid bones, and need casts both arms! Leaving them untreated could lead to arthritis.

If you're concerned, (and you seem to be) get it checked out.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
The best advice we've heard so far is GO SEE A DOCTOR!

Having said that, x-rays won't show damage to soft tissue. They work on density differences. Even hairline fractures of the bones sometimes don't show up clearly enough for diagnosis.

If you can't see a doctor for some reason, another idea worth trying is to completely avoid stressing the area (doing anything that hurts) and take motrin every day for two weeks. It can help the soft tissues relax and the swelling go down.

But I'm no doctor. The smart thing to do is to go see someone who is.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Road Dog I'm not a doctor but a military trained pararescue. My first suggestion is go see your physician.

When you hyperextended your wrists, you not only would over extend the ligaments and tendons on both ends at wrists and forearms but you would generally take most of the lateral force on your thumbs. There is always the possibility of a compression fracture but that is something you would have to consult your physician about. Additionally you would have internal bruising and minor tearing of the muscles in the forearm. There is also the possibility of minor nerve damage or compression similar to carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you have any swelling or deep blue brusing around your wrists or thumbs?

Couple things I would suggest you do is use an anti-inflammatory like Motrin, or Aleve if your able and follow the directions for use. Go to your local Walgreens and buy a couple of wrist braces. This will help you to support the damaged tissue. Make sure you take breaks to allow your wrists to rest when typing. If they start to swell or you loose feeling go to the doctor immediately. Make sure you soak you wrists in as warm a water as you can stand for about 15 minutes and then follow it up with a cold pack for 15 minutes each night. This will elevate some of the internal swelling and discomfort.

Not being able to look at your injuries is a great hindrance but it does take a long time for this type of injury to heal. X-Rays very rarely show tendon or ligament damage. A Sonogram will and possibly and MRI. I'd say truthfully your looking at some discomfort for about a month or more. It's a common injury for soldiers who take dives to the ground with their firearms. maybe not as sever but very similar.

If it persists for longer without change, go see your physician.

Be careful and give your wrists and forearms a chance to heal, no weight lifting, or strenous use of the wrist for at least a month. I hope this helps some in your recovery.

Cheers
Thanks Jeff... that helps a lot. A military trained pararescue is a lot better than "a PHd in BS". There was never any swelling or bruising (I should have mentioned that), just a lot of pain. I've checked into wrist supports and have decided to get me a couple, based on your advice. Thanks again.

Sprained are a partially or completely torn ligament, and take up to 6 weeks to heal, as does broken bones.

Given that it hurts at the base of your thumb, a scaphoid fracture is a possibility. It should show up on x ray at 3 weeks.

Worse case scenario is that you have bilateral fractured scaphoid bones, and need casts both arms! Leaving them untreated could lead to arthritis.

If you're concerned, (and you seem to be) get it checked out.
Thanks johnnyb. I doubt if anything is broken, actually I guess I'm counting on it.

The best advice we've heard so far is GO SEE A DOCTOR!

Having said that, x-rays won't show damage to soft tissue. They work on density differences. Even hairline fractures of the bones sometimes don't show up clearly enough for diagnosis.

If you can't see a doctor for some reason, another idea worth trying is to completely avoid stressing the area (doing anything that hurts) and take motrin every day for two weeks. It can help the soft tissues relax and the swelling go down.

But I'm no doctor. The smart thing to do is to go see someone who is.
Thanks HiDe. I've been taking Ibuprofen for 3 weeks. However, I'm needing less and less, so that's encouraging.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
I'm glad there wasn't any swelling or bruising. It take even longer for the blood to vacate the injury area. Which prolongs the swelling. Just to give you an example, I stove my wrist many years ago and popped a vessel on top of the area. It took over 2 months for the swelling and the stiffness to disappear. Think about jamming a finger and your very close to the same scenario.

I'm really serious about no strenuous activity with your wrists for a month or so. You might want to get a tennis or racket ball and squeeze it for exercise but not to much. It will strength the muscles and help you stretch the ligments gently. Also like HiDesert stated, switch to Motrin or Aleve. You won't have to take so many and it will elevate the internal inflammation. Ibuprofen will only help with the pain.

Get better soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Very humourous HD

Good advice SC and the others.

As a Quality/Workplace Health and Safety Officer I cringed when you said you didn't report it to someone. If it continues your chance for compensation (for rehab or otherwise) is nearly non existent because you didn't report it. Personally, I would still report it especially if there were witnesses.

My 2 cents worth. Hope you heal quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts