Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I got the new bike bug a couple months ago. I had been riding a Star Roadliner for three years, after enjoying a Honda Interceptor for several years. The Honda was a great bike, but as I got older, it became more uncomfortable to ride. I thought a cruiser would fit me--6'3" 235 lbs--better. I test rode the Roadliner. It was comfortable, and I was impressed with how it handled for such a large bike. It has excellent build quality, and there were zero problems with it for three years, but I missed the handling of a smaller bike. The problem is finding a good handling, lighter bike that is also comfortable.

We in the U.S.A. just don't have as many choices as the Europeans. I didn't want a sport tourer with a full fairing, because of the added weight, and I like to see the engine. I looked very closely at the Harley XR1200. I didn't like the seat to peg distance, and the tank felt too narrow. Also, it didn't have ABS as an option. I went to the Baltimore dealer where I purchased my Roadliner to look at the Yamaha FZ1. The riding position is more sport oriented than what I was looking for, primarily the bend of my old knees. I then walked over and sat on a black Tiger 1050. It was very comfortable. I liked its looks, except for the deeply scooped seat. In my younger years, that scooped seat would have been a deal killer. In my older years, function trumps form. I told the salesman (he's also the store manager) I liked it very much, but I had decided I wanted my next bike to have ABS (like my Interceptor and a BMW before that). He said he would check with Triumph to see if an ABS model was available. I said I preferred black, and it would be great if he threw in the hardbags. He said he'd get back to me. This was last Friday. I spent a lot of time on this forum learning about the Tiger. He called back on Wednesday saying he had found a black ABS and would throw in the hardbags and still give me the 3.9% financing. The Triumph promotion until the end of January is $800 in accessories, or the 3.9%. I asked if he could have it available on Friday for a test ride, because it was suppose to be 50 degrees. He said he'd have it ready.

I test rode it and was hooked. I found the engine very smooth, and the suspension plush. My only problem during the test ride was the somewhat stiff shifting transmission in general, and finding neutral specifically. I would assume the transmission will get better with miles, and my size 12 boot will find the right touch for neutral. I guess it's obvious, I am now the proud owner of a 2008 Tiger 1050ABS. They gave me top trade-in value for my Roadliner. The only downer is I don't have it in my possession. I left it for installation of the hard bags, and some accessories--centerstand, handguards, and heated grips. The grips won't be in until Thursday. If it snows Friday, they will deliver the bike to my house--that would be kind of anticlimactic. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Charlie

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
WELCOME TO TIGER LIFE:D

I am not nearly as tall as you, but I am probably years older and I find the Tiger to be comfortable on the road. I took a 2600 mile trip last August with my son, and we rode a couple of 600 mile days back to back and I had no problems.

Things to do:

1. Adjust the shift lever so it fits your foot's needs.:)

2. Take the shift linkage ball sockets out (unscrew them) and put thread locker on the threads and reinstall. These have a habit of coming loose if this is not done.

3. At 3000 miles or 6 months (whichever comes first) drain, flush and refill the coolant system with some quality mixture. I use EngineIce, but a good antifreeze and distilled water in a 50/50 mixture should be just as good. The stuff Triumph puts in the coolant system is the worst stuff I have ever seen after 6 months.

If you don't do your own maintenance, have these items done by your dealer--you won't regret it.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
1 Posts
lifes great isnt it

mate im new to this site so i hope this message goes in the right place, like you im the proud owner of a black 08 tiger! Wow am i stoked and look forward to clocking up the kilometeres/miles. So safe and happy riding
Hello everyone,
I got the new bike bug a couple months ago. I had been riding a Star Roadliner for three years, after enjoying a Honda Interceptor for several years. The Honda was a great bike, but as I got older, it became more uncomfortable to ride. I thought a cruiser would fit me--6'3" 235 lbs--better. I test rode the Roadliner. It was comfortable, and I was impressed with how it handled for such a large bike. It has excellent build quality, and there were zero problems with it for three years, but I missed the handling of a smaller bike. The problem is finding a good handling, lighter bike that is also comfortable.

We in the U.S.A. just don't have as many choices as the Europeans. I didn't want a sport tourer with a full fairing, because of the added weight, and I like to see the engine. I looked very closely at the Harley XR1200. I didn't like the seat to peg distance, and the tank felt too narrow. Also, it didn't have ABS as an option. I went to the Baltimore dealer where I purchased my Roadliner to look at the Yamaha FZ1. The riding position is more sport oriented than what I was looking for, primarily the bend of my old knees. I then walked over and sat on a black Tiger 1050. It was very comfortable. I liked its looks, except for the deeply scooped seat. In my younger years, that scooped seat would have been a deal killer. In my older years, function trumps form. I told the salesman (he's also the store manager) I liked it very much, but I had decided I wanted my next bike to have ABS (like my Interceptor and a BMW before that). He said he would check with Triumph to see if an ABS model was available. I said I preferred black, and it would be great if he threw in the hardbags. He said he'd get back to me. This was last Friday. I spent a lot of time on this forum learning about the Tiger. He called back on Wednesday saying he had found a black ABS and would throw in the hardbags and still give me the 3.9% financing. The Triumph promotion until the end of January is $800 in accessories, or the 3.9%. I asked if he could have it available on Friday for a test ride, because it was suppose to be 50 degrees. He said he'd have it ready.

I test rode it and was hooked. I found the engine very smooth, and the suspension plush. My only problem during the test ride was the somewhat stiff shifting transmission in general, and finding neutral specifically. I would assume the transmission will get better with miles, and my size 12 boot will find the right touch for neutral. I guess it's obvious, I am now the proud owner of a 2008 Tiger 1050ABS. They gave me top trade-in value for my Roadliner. The only downer is I don't have it in my possession. I left it for installation of the hard bags, and some accessories--centerstand, handguards, and heated grips. The grips won't be in until Thursday. If it snows Friday, they will deliver the bike to my house--that would be kind of anticlimactic. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Charlie

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi bayrider & scotto62. Welcome to the forum & enjoy your new sickles :).

Wrt the gearchange- the engine & gearbox can take quite a lot of running/breaking in. Neutral should be easy to find after 2 or 3 rides, but any notchiness and/or clunkiness in the gearchange could take longer to disappear. Ultimately the gearchange should be sweet.

N.B. If you do find any notchiness just check whether the chain's a bit tight. It's much better to slacken off the chain tension a tad- it usually makes a big difference to the gearchange quality.

Picture are mandatory of course :D.

DaveB.

·
Registered
226 Posts
hey bayrider

welcome to the forum brother good to see you enjoy your purchase me i'm smitten with my blue 955i 06 tiger i know the looks are a little dated on the 955i but its a great bike i love it only had mine 2 months done 1700 miles now happy riding dudes :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
A tiger is about the best bike I've ever owned (out of 70-80 bikes). It is a do all, perfect blend of everything from playing around to touring.......to just plain staring at. The black ones arn't bigger but they are faster......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks for the welcomes and tips. RedBird, the owner's manual doesn't mention how to adjust the shifter, so I guess that will be a topic to discuss with the dealer along with the coolant recommendation.
Charlie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts