Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

2nd post, so go easy - I did search and didn't find specific information.

I am looking to buy a thruxton as I would like a cafe racer styled bike. I don't care about going fast anymore. I want something different that is reminiscent of motorcycles I grew up in India with aka Royal Enfield.

I wanted to buy a RE and build a cafe racer themed bike, but then I found the thruxton which seems like a much better platform for me to start with. I could do pipes, intake, exhaust, fender eliminator, rear shock and such and have a cool little bike to put-put around.

Anyways, my issue is I have never seen one in person. I live in Iowa (field of dreams, bridges of madison county etc). There are only 2 dealers here and neither of them have one in stock nor do they plan on getting one.

Of course, they have said they can order me one at retail price, but I would like to test ride one first to make sure I will like it.

My other concern is my size. I am 6 ft 3" and about 200 lbs. I don't want to be cramped or feel like I am riding a buell blast (like a gorilla on a moped).

Are there any others with about the same build as me riding one? Can you comment on the ride height, comfort level etc.

Thanks much and ride safe, everyone!

·
Registered
55 Posts
My other concern is my size. I am 6 ft 3" and about 200 lbs. I don't want to be cramped or feel like I am riding a buell blast (like a gorilla on a moped).

Are there any others with about the same build as me riding one? Can you comment on the ride height, comfort level etc.

Thanks much and ride safe, everyone!

I'm only 5'10" 160lbs. but I don't think you'll have an issue at your size. In fact, I'd wager to say you'll probably be more comfortable than me, due to not having to reach as far to the bars. (i have the clip ons.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great to know.

This is a longshot - Anyone in the Central Iowa / Des Moines area with a thruxton? If I could even sit on your bike to get a feel, that would be great!!!

I assume there has been no dimensional changes to the thruxton from the older to current models?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I really don't think you will have much of an issue, I mean you corn fed Iowa boys are used to everything being smaller then you. I'm 5' 10" 180 so I don't know what it's like to be 6' 3" but you should be fine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My son is about your size, and his thruxton fits fine. one of the changes down the years has been to replace the clip on bars with short regular bars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 210... The Thruxton fits me perfectly and is my favorite bike to ride (as long as I'm solo!!)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I got a buddy, Brian, who is 6'9" and 220 LB. Rides my Thrux quite a bit, as he is devoid of bike just now due to offspring. He's completely comfortable, just sits a bit further back than I do (5' 6"), his knees are further forward, and his position is somewhat more erect. He doesn't look awkward on it, at least not as much as he did on my Royal Enfield "Hanuman". THAT looked like an ape screwing a football!
He absolutely cannot drive my Miata, his knees are this side of the steering wheel.
I'm 64, and Brian is mid-20s. It took me some time to get used to being addressed as "Dude," and to learn that the proper response to "No way, Dude!" is, in fact, "Way, Dude!". He doesn't quite believe that, in my day, we had to walk all the way across the room to change the channel. Uphill. Both ways. In the snow.
Redhawk

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am 6'3" and 225. I have a 2011 with the higher bars and it fits fine. I tried to buy a Daytona 955i and it felt too small so I know what you mean. The Thruxton fits pretty well for me. I personally like the higher bars on the new ones, but you can always switch out to clip ons.

Go read the Thruxton owner reviews. Most people put their size in there. I read all of those before buying mine to see how people felt about it.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
No problemo...if you fit on an Enfield, you certainly will do well on a Thruxton. The thruxton is a bit longer and has considerably more reach to the bars than an Enfield.

Enjoy,

--Rich

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am 6'3" and 225. I have a 2011 with the higher bars and it fits fine. I tried to buy a Daytona 955i and it felt too small so I know what you mean. The Thruxton fits pretty well for me. I personally like the higher bars on the new ones, but you can always switch out to clip ons.

Go read the Thruxton owner reviews. Most people put their size in there. I read all of those before buying mine to see how people felt about it.
Hi - Thanks. Yes, I looked at it - First 10 pages or so were 6ft or under and I tried searching all 29 pages and didn't quite find anything. Hence, the post...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He doesn't look awkward on it, at least not as much as he did on my Royal Enfield "Hanuman". THAT looked like an ape screwing a football!
Wow, a Royal Enfield owner. Still have it? I used to be jealous of all my friend's dads in India coz many had Bullets. I would want to kick start it and they would always say, "I would break my leg" and it was impossible to start!

He absolutely cannot drive my Miata, his knees are this side of the steering wheel.
I have had 2 S2000's and I fit fine in them! But, it did tear my back up driving from Iowa to Texas non-stop. :mad:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi I'm 6'5 and 300lbs(135kg/21stone) This is the best bike I've ever had and I've had many. I pre fair the early ones (carb'ed) but its just a style thing. You can also modify the hell out of them too!!!!

Chris.:cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm 6'0 and 220 well built pounds. (at least it's not all around the middle!) I fit just fine. Bettye has some mods and pulls my big ass around great. If I'm standing on her hard, I come out of 3rd at 95mph and get there in a matter of seconds. Clip-ons have you leaning way forward but look great. Mine is a 2010 and has the clubman style bars. They're pretty comfortable. The only thing you might look out for is the rear-set pegs fold your legs up pretty good. I have bad knees so I have to get off and stretch my legs about once an hour. Everyone just drools when they see my Black Bettye. These bikes have so much more soul than the other guys. If you like the Cafe style, you can't go wrong for the money with a Thrux. I wanted one of the new Nortons but they were just too much money. I've ridden Triumphs for years so I feel right at home. Go for it, you'll love it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm 6'0 and 220 well built pounds. (at least it's not all around the middle!) I fit just fine. Bettye has some mods and pulls my big ass around great. If I'm standing on her hard, I come out of 3rd at 95mph and get there in a matter of seconds. Clip-ons have you leaning way forward but look great. Mine is a 2010 and has the clubman style bars. They're pretty comfortable. The only thing you might look out for is the rear-set pegs fold your legs up pretty good. I have bad knees so I have to get off and stretch my legs about once an hour. Everyone just drools when they see my Black Bettye. These bikes have so much more soul than the other guys. If you like the Cafe style, you can't go wrong for the money with a Thrux. I wanted one of the new Nortons but they were just too much money. I've ridden Triumphs for years so I feel right at home. Go for it, you'll love it!
I want to see your Black Bettye too....Post a pic man, I know you want to! :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
"Wow, a Royal Enfield owner. Still have it? I used to be jealous of all my friend's dads in India coz many had Bullets. I would want to kick start it and they would always say, "I would break my leg" and it was impossible to start!"
Impossible to start? Nobody told this young lady;
Excuse me a minute, I think her smile melted my toenails.
I sold Hanuman a couple years back, went to a '74 Harley/Aermacchi 350 SS Sprint. He was fun, but slow and fragile.
Here's a couple articles;
http://www.chuckhawks.com/royal_enfield_letter1.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/royal_enfield_letter2.htm
Best,
Redhawk (AKA Dave Murray)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hi I'm 6'5 and 300lbs(135kg/21stone) This is the best bike I've ever had and I've had many. I pre fair the early ones (carb'ed) but its just a style thing. You can also modify the hell out of them too!!!!

Chris.:cool:

Chris,

Where did you get your brackets on the rear of your Thrux?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.