Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Mulberry Red Speedy, also have owned an 04 America. I also own an 08 Harley Fatbob. I was planning on spending 3k upgrading the Harley's motor but am realizing even with the upgrade the brakes and handling won't be up to par, although the Fatbob handles amazingly well for a #650 bike. I love my Speedy, but have a few issues with it and am wondering if I should just sell it and get a Thruxton. I am happy with the power (have done the AI, D&D exhaust, re-jetted) but could always use more power. Does the Thruxton with the hotter cams make an appreciable power improvement? My second gripe with the Speedy is the terrible rear suspension, compared to the Fatbob, its like riding a brick. (I know I can upgrade) I'm kinda thinking the back roads would be more fun if I was in the Thruxton riding position but the Speedy handles well. Does the Thruxton suspension need upgrading as well and is the Handling of the Thruxton significantly better than the Speedys??

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have an 07 Mulberry Red Speedy, also have owned an 04 America. I also own an 08 Harley Fatbob. I was planning on spending 3k upgrading the Harley's motor but am realizing even with the upgrade the brakes and handling won't be up to par, although the Fatbob handles amazingly well for a #650 bike. I love my Speedy, but have a few issues with it and am wondering if I should just sell it and get a Thruxton. I am happy with the power (have done the AI, D&D exhaust, re-jetted) but could always use more power. Does the Thruxton with the hotter cams make an appreciable power improvement? My second gripe with the Speedy is the terrible rear suspension, compared to the Fatbob, its like riding a brick. (I know I can upgrade) I'm kinda thinking the back roads would be more fun if I was in the Thruxton riding position but the Speedy handles well. Does the Thruxton suspension need upgrading as well and is the Handling of the Thruxton significantly better than the Speedys??
The Speedmaster has got a 270 degree crank, doesn't it? That's probably a bigger difference than the cams. I think you're making something like the low 50's in horses stock while the Thruxtons are maybe ten more. Ish.

If Speedmasters and Fat Bob's appeal to you, though, I'd suspect you wouldn't be comfortable on a Thruxton. It's a very different riding position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try it

I think you will find the thruxton a whole new ball game and love it especially on windy roads. Best bet is try and get a demo ride make it as long as possible so you can really get the feel of it as it will be very different to the speedy. Good luck:)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The Thruxton will make you smile the most when you are cornering left and right. If you want some of that roll on power at 60mph, you might not be disappointed, but also may not be all that pleased. The only time I really notice the lack of pull on my Thruxton is at the track. On the roads with my friends it does just fine, but I find myself wanting a second bike to give me some top end response.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Both?

I have an 07 American and 05 Thruxton, they are very different bikes, they have the suspension replaced and airbox removed and pipes on both, i've had them dyno tuned (SAE)- 52RWHP & 49 torque on the America 62 & 51 on the Thruxton. Both now run extremely well for my kind of riding, I use the America for two up crusing and weekends away and the Thruxton for more spirited runs in the mountains. Handling wise I was happier with the stock America than the stock Thruxton, although there both pretty ordinary out of the box. To get the Thruxton handling right for me I put Wilbers racing shocks and springs, a fork brace and Ohlins steering damper on it which sorted it right out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thruxton the right bike?

I have an 07 Speedmaster and I love it. I really like the styling and handling of the Thruxton. I was toying with the idea of making it my next bike to add to the stable so last Summer I took one out when the Triumph factory truck came to the local dealer. It was a blast but 10 minutes into the ride my wrists were killing me. Maybe a different set of bars would have helped but at 49 I think I'll stick to the Speedmaster.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have an 07 Speedmaster and I love it. I really like the styling and handling of the Thruxton. I was toying with the idea of making it my next bike to add to the stable so last Summer I took one out when the Triumph factory truck came to the local dealer. It was a blast but 10 minutes into the ride my wrists were killing me. Maybe a different set of bars would have helped but at 49 I think I'll stick to the Speedmaster.
How many other worthwhile endeavors did you only give 10 minutes to?

I had a hard time when I first got my Thruxton. NOw the riding position is fine. It took a little while to develop the muscles, but they are there now -- and there's a lot of grey in my beard, too.

The only people I'd specifically advise against getting a Thruxton are people who are overweight. Other than that, I think your body adjusts after a while. Mine did.

Just my 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Greyhound, I had exactly the same experience and thought I'd made a terrible mistake, however as Dangermouse points out, by the end of the first week I had adapted to the changed riding position and find it now very comfortable and can switch bikes easily, Speedy and Thruxton are a good mix. BTW I have the body of an 85 yo athlete.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm 62, and I have the body of a God;
BUDDHA!
I flipped the bars, and am now completely comfortable, more so than on my previous, more upright, bikes.
Redhawk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts