Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I'm only 5'7" tall, I would like to have more space between saddle and footpegs. Is the seat to peg distance actually greater on the Scrambler than on the T100 or Bonneville, or is it simply the same frame, seat, and footpeg mounts jacked up a bit higher due to taller shocks and fork legs?

I actually like the stock saddle on my T100, and have ridden with it for several thousand miles, but if Triumph offered one that was slightly thicker (not softer just thicker) it would give me the additional distance I'd like.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's enough seat cover material to permit installing a thicker pad under it.

So, what do I need to do to gain the extra seat to peg space? A new Scrambler, or simply a thicker 'stock' saddle? I don't want to install a King and Queen seat to gain the thickness.

Any suggestions?

Bob

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Bob,I believe the shocks are the only difference between the seat/peg distance.Thruxtons and Scramblers have the long shocks [1"longer than Bonnies] and Speedy/America`s have 1" shorter than Bonnies.All are interchangable. Best bet would simply be to swap with a Thrux owner who wants to lower his bike a bit.

·
Registered
358 Posts
IIRC, the footpeg hanger brackets are different and put the pegs a bit lower in order to facilitate standing up in the "rough stough"...

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'll go out and measure my two and see - I'm the same height ar so as you Bob. Scrambler's higher, but I THINK jst co of longer shocks (dunno about forks) and of course the rake is ever so slightly steeper (which would stand her up more at the front even if the forks were the same)
I'll go and measure it mate, not much cop for riding today anyway, there's icebergs off the bloody coast... - cheers Pat

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankin' you guys for your comments. Dr Pat, I'm curious to see what you find when you measure the seat to peg distance on both bikes (you lucky dog, you have them both in your garage!).

Bob

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
The scrambler's a good two inches higher than my T100. While I like the looks of the scrambler, I'll keep the present ride because I prefer the seat height of the T100.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Good question. I know the scrambler sits higher than the Bonnie, but I am not sure about the distance between peg and seat.

I also want to gain some distance in this area. I purchased some pegs from New Bonneville that have no padding, so this will probably add about an inch. I also heard that Buell makes pegs that can be lowered - almost like a junction piece that lowers the peg about an inch. May cause you to scrape earlier, but it could gain some space. I am also thinking about having my stock seat re-done by Sargent - and have them add about a 1/2" of pad to the front.

·
Registered
547 Posts
OK Bob, I've got it, I think - it's a bit difficult to measure really accurately, but laying a straight plank across the seat near to the tank and as nearly straight above the pegs as poss, it seems like the distance from top of the peg rubber to the plank is:
01 Bonnie - 19.5 inches
Scrambler - 20 inches

distance betwen peg and seat perpendicular is something over half an inch greater on the Scrambler. Of course, the Scrambler is 2 inches taller than the Bonnie off the ground - 32.5 vs 30.5 inches I think, thanks to longer shocks and a slightly steeper rake.
I know that jumping off Scrambler onto Bonnie I feel a bit more scrunched up, lowere, and knees bent slightly more - it's quite interesting.

Yeah, I can't quite believe my luck, like having 2 mistresses, except they're not as quirky... Whether I can suport both in the long term (or will want to) we'll see. I'll have to try and master this photo technology and post some ppics of the pair of 'em
cheers guys, Pat

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Dr Pat - that's the info I needed. Maybe I could have my stock seat thickened up 1/2 - 3/4", and that'd be enough to make it more comfortable. Not softer, just taller. I'm one who actually likes the looks of the stock seat, and am not too put off by its firmness. Soft padding = feels good in showroom ..... Firm padding = feels good on very long trip (IMO)

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts