Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Sounds like the ramblings of someone who wants to write about a provocative subject, but didn't do their homework.

In numerous cultures, motorcycles are the primary means of motorised transport. According to the Taiwanese government, for example, "the number of automobiles per ten thousand population is around 2,500, and the number of motorcycles is about 5,000." In places such as Vietnam, motorised traffic consist of mostly motorbikes due to a lack of public transport and low income levels that put automobiles out of reach for many.

I think it likely that motorcycles will become even more popular in western countries, due to the rising cost of fuel.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
When I started I rode a Honda 90 then a Honda 305, It wasn’t till I was 22 that I could afford a new big bike, I paid $1,400 for my new Norton and drove a 60 something $100 Pontiac Catalina on the bad days. I had a job and had bike payments, today, it seems, kids need a cool car out of the box, a cool bike out of the box, and are paying $300 a month on I phone, TV and internet connection. They will never know the adrenalin rush of a bike, even a small one. I used to get a stiff neck from clip-ons but today the kids get a still neck from looking down at their phones all day. The big problem is you can’t text, twitter, or email while riding a bike, but you can while driving a car.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I don't see motorcycling dying off in San Diego. For one thing there is a steady supply of new Marines and Navy sailors with (some) disposable income.

H

·
0 Posts
Funny how we (motorcycle riders) can all read an article and come away with a hundred versions or even reasons why it isn't true.

The artical didn't mention scooters, mopeds or push bikes with model airplane motors attached. Motorcycles. Didn't mention 10cent per hour countries either.

Compare the per capita motorcycle ownership of the 1970s to 2010. Look in the parking lots of high schools, collages. Oh yea, there are the San Diegos of the western world but agin just compare that same demographic with the exact one from 1970s.

We don't care to read or hear anything bad about our bike ownership. So we ignore anti bike government action, we drag in 10 cent per hour countries full of 100 cc scotters and mopeds to prove our belief in the long life of motorcycles. Seems we forgot that after the war a lot of Europe looked just like Asian cities do today. America had some what the same till the mid 50s.

Wether we like it or not motorcycle ownership is changing and will continue to.

·
30,015 Posts
The era of the motorcycle is not over. All those young wankers who are obsessed with gadgets and iThisandthat will get older, and realise they have wasted their lives. Then they will see salvation in motorcycles, and the chance to go and "keep it real" or whatever.

Something like that. So, probably motorcycling will become the passtime of those seeking their lost youths, and a few lost youths who are actually smart enough to get into it right away.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well, i've been riding since 1970, when i turned 16 yrs old.
My birthday pressy was a 1964 Honda C50, which my mum bought from the local postman.
Next up was a 1960 BSA C15, that took me camping all over the lake district with like-minded mates, on a Bantam an Enfield GT Continental and a Norton Jubilee 250, happy times.

By January`73, i had passed my bike test and bought a bathtub 3TA off an old guy who had suffered a stroke, he used to give me a cheery wave from the Villiers powered invalidity car that the health board had supplied to him, i went to his funeral on the Triumph 18 months later.
I sold the bike some time later an bought a Reliant Regal three wheeler, because i now had a girlfriend who wasn't inclined to get pi$$ed wet through for the joys of biking.

I got married in 1976 and had just bought the Norton Dommie that i still have today, plus a rather nifty Triumph Spitfire sports car that was a hoot to drive in the long hot summer of`76.
During the late 70's, 80's and early 90's, i had a succession of bikes and cars of all makes and sizes....and a couple more wives over that time as well.

It was probably in the mid-90's that i started to notice that a lot of kids were starting to appear on the roads, not on bikes but in cars, mainly small hatchbacks like the Vauxhall Nova and VW Polo, probably due to insurance costs on anything bigger.
It was also the mid-90's when i sold my 350 Planeta Sport Russian two-stroke single, which coincided with the ending of my third marriage, open heart surgery and a move from Anglesey to the mainland of Gwynedd, quite a busy year that was!

After setting up the studio in 2001 and having quite a busy seven years, i bought the Ducati Monster 900 in 2008, my first bike after a twelve year break, to concentrate on the business.
It soon became apparent when i went on runs to various biker gatherings, that 90% of the guys`n gals on bikes, were of a similar age to myself, in their 40's or 50's...or older.
Even today, i rarely see a youngster on a decent bike, mostly they are on scooters that are to them simply a mode of transport to get to College or work and back, none of them look like they are planning a carreer on bikes.

So i'm thinking, like most things in life, times change and so do the aspirations of the populance, it seems like those of us who started riding some 40 years ago, have had our families, done our bit in the workplace and have returned to find pretty much the same people are still riding, albeit much greyer and possibly a touch weightier but we are still riding.
It's a bit like the church here in the UK, you won't see many youngsters in church these days, the congregations are thinning out, because the old`uns are dying and arent being replaced by the new lot, i see the bike situation in a similar way, not many younger riders coming into the fold, so when we have gone.....?!

G ; )

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
There is a very nice article about this in the latest issue of Cycle World, written by Kevin Cameron.

He discusses the phenom, and suggests that the industry is mimicing the global economy, and therefore you have on one spectrum, the uber-expensive offerings of BMW, H-D, and others for those that can afford the scratch, and on the other end, the economy minded Honda CB250's, reportedly selling as fast as they can make 'em.

The race or focus on "bigger CC's is better" is fading, sez Kevin, and the trend is... downward.

Not much in the middle, as the "middle class" is disappearing along with Manufacturing from Western countries.

The "10 cent / hr." countries are actually being focussed strongly on with the low-priced historic step-through style mini CC bikes from Honda-kawa-uki.

Makes sense I guess from the marketing perspective.

From the "These kids now-a-daze" slant, I think it's understandable that the newest generations would be attracted to the newest technologies. 40 or so years ago, we didn't have all this... stuff, so we can't complain. Today, with all the electronic gadgetry, a much different generation arises, with different interests, and ... passions?

Look what happened to cars! What % of say 18 to 30 year olds build high performance cars anymore, vs cars with mega stereo's and over-the-top electronic bling.

It's a wacky new world out there, and who knows what will happen to the bike industry.:confused:

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I don't see motorcycling dying off in San Diego. For one thing there is a steady supply of new Marines and Navy sailors with (some) disposable income.
Ever wonder why people use the term "Squids" when referring to young people riding like idiots on sport bikes?

Bingo!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have two Bikes One Iphone,Ipad and iPod all alive and well I look forward to the day we have good electric motorcycles and i will own one of them too. I watch as more and more electric bicycles are being bought and he scooter craze is as big as ever, bring on the future I say ,,just never forget the past and keep ya mits of my real bikes .

·
Banned
247 Posts
I'd get rid of the cell phone the IPad and everything else before I'd get rid of my motorcycles, wife excluded of course.

This is just some more of that media crap again. What the hell would a poet know about the motorcycling industry or for that matter, the mind of someone who rides a motorcyclist anyway.:rolleyes:

I will say, it's amazing how quick you can get the attention of a driver with a swift kick to the door panel or with a piece of 12" galvanized pipe.;)

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
So the party's over, sniff. Didn't see it coming. Thought the uber coolness of bikes would carry them through any financial hard times. I actually believed that motorcycles would always continue to get better and more powerful and more righteous and popular just like every bike magazine has said since... oh, about sometime early last century. So now what? Sell the scoots and stock up on electronic gizmos? Is that the only choice? Bah! I'd rather take up crochet, or croquet, or salmon croquettes. But I digress. I think that there are boom and bust trends to nearly every type of transport (see skateboards, Segways, Hummers et al) and we are living in a time when there really are very few if any horrible new bikes on the market. So give it time... youthful lust for murdercycles will be back. Soon as they find out that Angry Birds and Tweeting cause cancer.

One more thing- that iconic photo at the top of that article of the outlaw guy on the Kennedy bridge over the Ohio River may be cool but here's another view of those bridges just for some perspective:

Don't tell me that motorcycles are over... history... kaput. I can't buy it.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I agree Nort. Motorbikes live! At least for me and most members of this forum. That's what matters

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Compare the per capita motorcycle ownership of the 1970s to 2010. .
I'd be very interested in looking at these figures, did a quick Google but found nothing concrete.
Would you mind posting a link?:)

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Look what happened to cars! What % of say 18 to 30 year olds build high performance cars anymore, vs cars with mega stereo's and over-the-top electronic bling.
I work with a bunch of kids who go crazy with their imports. The amount of money they spend on go-fast parts is astonishing. A lot has changed in terms of modifying from the olden days when you'd slap a carb and a new cam in your muscle car and go terrorize the streets.

I do agree with you that fewer kids turn their own cars. I think it's because new cars are too complex for the average schmo to mess with. That doesn't stop them from trying, though.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
I use my iPhone on my bike. Working on using my iPad as an interactive map/navigator on a tank bag.

Riders are getting older because the population of most of the industrialized world is. I'm at the tail end of the Boom. The economy has far more to do with reduced sales than electronic toys do.

H

·
0 Posts
I'd be very interested in looking at these figures, did a quick Google but found nothing concrete.
Would you mind posting a link?:)
Lucky to be on line let alone post links. Try these related names. You will see there is still an on going fight about what a motorcycle is (are mopeds, scooters, trikes motorcycles).

FHWA, org This is our Federal Highway Admin. They suck and are political as appointies each president but are the keepers of registrations for the states.

abate.org. Motorcycle group that represents motorcycles against ins., state and Fed laws. They have date back to 91.

AMA. This is a hard site to navigate so just call and ask for 1970-2010 bike sales America. They are good at pointing the way. This is a for profit group and for years it was swayed by Harley. Please remember only for USA and they don't count mopeds. I read this crap all the time to see who is driving what anti motorcycle claim. Respectfully Hap:D

·
Registered
949 Posts
The kids in the UK seem to be more into their cars than bikes, period.
Most of them have the requisite mag wheels, blacked-out windows and an exhaust like a rubbish bin, with a music system that would keep most of the Glastonbury crowd entertained.

Re-wind to the late-70's and i find myself with a Pontiac Firebird, with Wolfrace wheels and sidepipes, my mate had a Gran Torino pick-up, similarly attired and another mate had a Mach 111 Mustang.
This was in the industrial North-West of England, at a time when American muscle cars ruled, although i also had a`76 Bonnie, just like Nort's (nice one Nort).

So i suppose what goes around, comes around again, there don't seem to be much of a difference, same ideals, different generation?

G ; )

21 - 40 of 40 Posts