Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the luxury of a garage and I see by the forecast that the coming few days will have some gusty winds.

I normally leave my bike on the driveway with a cover over it on its side stand, but I've always been curious as to is it better to put it on its center stand when its windy or does it not really matter?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm no expert but....

I'd try to get it close to the building too.[/QUOTE]

+1 I too leave my bike covered outside and have had many bad stormy winds. I never actally noticed a difference in either center or side stand being better than the other.

I'd THINK the side stand, only because you have 3 heavy points of contact with the ground spread out evenly over the whole length rather than having most of the mass secured only in the tail end.

IMHO keep your cover tight and buckled, less it becomes a parachute.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My guess would be the side stand is safer because on the centerstand, the only pivot point in either direction is the one little peg of the stand. Think pole-vaulting. Plus it is already higher up and the back wheel is off the ground.

Leaned over on the sidestand, I think it would be harder for wind to either, lift it up, or push it over with the stand already digging in.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The cover may make it more likely to be blown over.

The side stand will be more secure - unless the wind is blowing onto the left (n/s) side strongly enough to blow it over. Happened to my Honda Firestorm and to my Aprilia Falco :mad:

I'd stick with the centre stand..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll leave it so the right side is facing the wind, so its blow onto the stand, if that makes send, using the energy from the wind to push down on the stand, yes I'm going to use the side stand.

I'll take off the box on the back, and also fold in the mirrors and keep it strapped on (their is rain coming too).

Thinking about it I think that a center stand is less stable simply because all the weight is mainly on the 2 legs with none on the back and little on the front.

if only I had a spare bike I didn't care about just to try pushing it over :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the cover just has a strap underneath with a clip on it, so it can't blow off.

I think it will be fine with the top box taken off. With that big old box on and the mirrors it i makes the surface area of the cover like double what it is without and I'm sure that that would increase the chance a gust would move the bike.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not meant to get windy until tonight and then on and off over the next few days. Nothing terrible, peaking at 39mph, but I've always wondered it peoples bikes had been blow over, and how bad it had been to cause it to happen.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you intend leaving your bike outside all of the time you might want to consider getting some ground bolts and D rings then strap your bike down as if you were going on the ferry.

Add a big chain and lock to enhance security leave it on the centre stand facing the wind with the cover on. Thieving toe rags will need to lift the cover to see what's underneath.

thats my 2 pence worth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts