Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All - I recall reading that some riders with the ABS Sprint had the 14mm replaced with a larger 5/8" master cylinder - and that it was "under warranty". I have had no reply from triumph USA regarding this - so does anybody have any official information on whether this change is covered by Triumph?

The gist was that the early '06 bikes were assembled with the smaller - and incorect - master cylinder.

I am hoping it will reduce or negate the need to pump the front brake up (as it easily can be pulled to the bar).

Many thanks and apologies for any repetition - BB

·
Registered
35 Posts
On 2006-12-08 15:04, BlackBeauty wrote:
Dear All - I recall reading that some riders with the ABS Sprint had the 14mm replaced with a larger 5/8" master cylinder - and that it was "under warranty". I have had no reply from triumph USA regarding this - so does anybody have any official information on whether this change is covered by Triumph?

The gist was that the early '06 bikes were assembled with the smaller - and incorrect - master cylinder.

I am hoping it will reduce or negate the need to pump the front brake up (as it easily can be pulled to the bar).

I have spoken with Triumph directly on various occasions about the brake issue on both the ST & S3 and this is the first I have heard of the 5/8" master being replaced under warranty, as far as Triumph UK are concerned at the moment there is no definite fault/fix so it could just be Triumph America authorising that particular repair at their expense. No doubt if a S/B or fix is released by Triumph UK I will be inundated with calls for warranty claims :-D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK - these are the two posts (pasted below) I must have been thinking about. They clearly seem to imply that Triumph recognise that at least the '06 ABS bikes are supposeed to have the 5/8" MC - and that at least these two posters got it changed under warranty. However, these posts hardly constitute hard evidence when it comes to getting your dealer to consider this change.

Take care - BB

SprintRide
Supersport 400
Yes...all ABS models should have the 5/8" master cylinder. apparently it was to much to keep track of at the factory with the two master cylinders (14mm and 5/8") during assembly and I don't know how many but it seems quite a few ABS models were fit with the smaller MC. If you have an ABS model w/the 14mm MC, take it to your dealer and make them replace it. It's not Triumph America thats denying these claims...it's the incompetent dealers that some of you unfortunately have to deal with...mid year in '06 the 14mm MC was eliminated in the ST's and they all come w/ 5/8" now.

NikosR
Super Sidecars
Athens, Greece
Rides:
'06 Sprint ST ABS Caspian Blue
'99 Sprint ST Red (sold)

Update: The supposedly '06 ABS model at my dealer is manufactured 4/05. It has the 14mm MC installed. The dealer, actually they are the main importers for Greece had never heard of the 5/8" MC issue nor had he heard of any issue with Sprint brakes!.

It took me some time, and a printout of this thread to convince them to call T in the UK. It took another couple of minutes to get authorisation to exchange the MC for a 5/8" under warranty should I decide to buy it. That was quick!

So indeed Triumph HQ do approve the MC exchange under warranty at least for the ABS bikes. No clue what happens if the bike is not under warranty.

·
Registered
703 Posts
GTrat -- thanks for the info. I agree that maybe so far the few we have seen in these posts were done by Triumph USA (hope so because my dealer is supposed to look into it).

BB -- those few posts were what I had found also. Hopefully my dealer will help me out and I'll get the switch to a 5/8. I already have a fairing they are holding for me to replace under warranty, the heat kit retrofit and also looks like I'll get a recall re: to drag link bolt. After this midwest winter storm passes maybe I'll get it all done at the same time, but now she's cozy in my dining room!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well, I'm not in the US and I have posted (see above) that T UK will authorise these replacements.

What my dealer (official Greek distributor) had to do was call UK on the issue and give them the VIN. They authorised the replacement. No more explanation given.

I'm having the MC replaced at my first service next week. Along with this I'm going to pay to get the 675 brake caliper pistons installed. I hope these two things will heal any brake issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
On 2006-12-08 15:04, BlackBeauty wrote:

My ABS has had the 5/8 MC from new but still periodically suffers the brake problem - the cure lies with the pistons in my view. The cleaning regime discussed many times always works for me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My dealer called me yesterday asking to have another look at my brakes. i explained at the moment they were better than ever since having new tyres fitted and the front pistons had been cleaned and pushed back y the tyre fitter, effectively 'back bleeding the system' but he said triumph Uk are considering the master cyclinder swop on a recall and would be willing to do mine for me if mine had ' the other size' cylinder.
The dealers 06 demonstrator has benefitted from this work and they found it made improvements.
:hammer:
I may take them up on the offer once winters passed :(

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not silly at all. If it is a 14mm unit, then there is a "14" in raised lettering on the backside of the master cylinder as it faces you when you ride.

I got my brakes bled at the weekend and they got a little air out. They are plenty powerful enough - but still probably on the soft side. My mechanic - whom I trust implicitly - said that because of the extra bits'n'pieces in the ABS system, that it will never be as firm feeling as a regular brake system.

I sat on a Kawasaki ZX14/ZZR1400 - the front brake lever barely moved, it was that firm!!

Take care - BB

·
Registered
46 Posts
Got the call from my dealer, the Sprint goes in tomorrow. They have the parts for the 2 on the sales floor, will use one on my scoot.

Sposed to be close to 50 degreesF here tomorrow, I'm gonna turn 1000 miles before I get home.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with kneedown-I think the front brake problem lies with the caliper. I have a 06 St w/ABS and my front MC must be 5/8" becasue I do not see a 14 stamped anywhere on it. My front brake lever moves almost 2-inches until actualtion. The dealer bled the front brakes and it still does it.????
\
***!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts