Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's only 420miles old and initially she sounded really smooth-almost like a turbine. And I am going by the triumph recommendations and breaking her in gently and now only occasionally going beyond 6,000 rpm. She sounds just a little bit rougher. Is this just character that I have yet to tap into when I go beyond 6K rpm? Should it be a little bit rougher by the 420mile stage?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does it sound like an angry dog about tip rip a kittens head off? Then yes, it's ok. If it rattles like grandma's vibrator then you need to have it looked at.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi there.

My shiny new S3 is about 3 weeks old...

And I'm on about 700km (430miles) Similar to you.

After following that damned sticker on the tank religiously, ... I started to hear some valve chatter... Constantly.

Bit of clutch niose too, and idling was sometimes a bit rough!

I put it down to constantly ticking over at between 2,500 and 3,500rpm and the engine never really "working"

I commute every day, so it's all stop... Start stuff

Mind you... I also wondered whether I'd been sold a dud, and checked the oil for traces of sawdust!!! ;-)

Now I've started to leave her in a slightly lower gear than I need to, and tootle along at about 5,500 rpm for a few minutes at a time once a day. No wild revving or anything, just a constant 5,500 for about 2 minutes.

It's worked wonders, and "Isabel" sounds like a purring kitten again.

I'm puttihg it down to carbon or gunk buildup on the valve bodies. Or something equally technical that I don't understand. I've not looked at my oil recently either but I figure there's got to be something in all the gears meshing together properly and fitting together over the first few hundred k's

Plus... I remember my last bike sounding like... a bike... and then after a few days of riding it... I got used to the noise and started to hear all the little ticks and taps and whistles... Maybe it's that!?!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I also heard all kinds of sounds in the beginning. Turned out to be the; Help there´s a strange sound coming out of my new bike- syndrome.

That and a chain that needed lubrication. :-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts