Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
486 Posts
On 2006-12-02 21:08, JontyG wrote:
On 2006-12-02 21:00, Skydakine wrote:
Just curious. The A$15,990.00 price tag caught my eye. The list on my '06 in the USA was $11,000.00, or A$13,905.00. I guess, besides inflation and dollar devaluation, the new ECU, CAT, exhaust shields and improved rear view mirrors must have warranted the price increase. Are there any other upgrades between the '06 and '07 I missed?
AFAIK AU$15,990 has been the asking price by Aussie dealers for the '06 and '07 S3, there has not been a price change.

Thats the first i've heard of improved mirrors...

Is AU$15,990 the 'out the door' price in Australia, or the price before dealer prep and license fees? Here in mainland USA, the dealer price has been $9995, plus tax, tag and prep. I've spoken to others in Florida who paid $10,500 to $11,700 after all is said and done. Just curious.

My '06 came with the round mirrors, but the dealer put the new, elongated mirrors on when I bought the bike. I can see past my elbows without having to resort to bar-ends :-D :-D

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
On 2006-12-03 20:29, BillT wrote:
Is AU$15,990 the 'out the door' price in Australia, or the price before dealer prep and license fees? Here in mainland USA, the dealer price has been $9995, plus tax, tag and prep. I've spoken to others in Florida who paid $10,500 to $11,700 after all is said and done. Just curious.
AU$15,990 before onroards (registration, dealer charges, etc) ~AU$17,400 with onroads (depending on state where bike is registered) :cry: . Still fairly good value, when compared to some of the other more "exotic" bikes, but obviously not as good as some of the Jap varieties.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
On 2006-12-03 20:51, Diego wrote:
Jonty, by now it's Monday where you are. Have you had any luck contacting the motor vehicle registration office in your area?
John, I haven't, because I'm satisfied that it's an '07 based on the VIN number I have.

The only thing I would really like to be sure of is that it has the new ECU, and Triumph will be verifying that.

All in all I'm not too concerned. I just really can't wait to get the bike. I'm hanging for a ride, and I have mod's to do :-D

· Registered
486 Posts
Still fairly good value, when compared to some of the other more "exotic" bikes, but obviously not as good as some of the Jap varieties.
[/quote]

Triumph seems to have pretty aggresive pricing here in the States. When I researched this bike, I compared the jap naked bikes (all in the $8500-9500 range, and not really 'naked' naked) the Ducati Monster S2R 1000, Ducati SportClassic 1000, BMW R1200R, BMW K1200R, MV Agusta Brutale, Aprilia Tuono, Moto Guzzi Griso, and KTM 950. The Ducatis were the same list price as the S3, but the other European bikes were all at least 35% higher. For me, the $800 list price difference between the S3 and the Yamaha FZ-1 was well worth it.
BTW, your bike does have an '07 model year serial number, and the number on your VIN plate should match the number stamped on the frame at the steering head, character for character.

· Premium Member
5,105 Posts
> I just really can't wait to get the bike. I'm hanging for a ride, and I have mod's to do :-D

That's the Triumph spirit! :cool:

I, too, hope the Aussie models have the new ECU. Would love to be able to get one for my '05, for that matter.

It runs so beautifully once it starts; and it always does start. But as others have noted here in the past, it does invite amused looks to have to go through a minor ritual while amongst other riders who are accustomed to push-the-button-and-away starting. It would be fantastic to have enough ECU internal memory to not have to perform the ritual.

· Registered
238 Posts
Was talking to the local dealer in Christchuch, NZ yesterday. They have 2 new '07 S3s, both black. Both have 7 as the 11th character on the VIN.

Neither have the lower exhaust shield.

One of the sales people showed me on these 2 bikes that neither had secondary air injection.
Therefore, his theory is; because we don't need the anti pollution stuff in NZ (and Aussie), (consequently no SAI), the exhaust won't be as hot, so, no shield downunder.
Apparently the extra exhaust shield on the '07 models is protection from the hotter exhaust with SAI installed versions. :-D :flam:

· Registered
338 Posts
The reason for the extra heat shield is to cover the new cat that Triumph put there for '07. If you country does not require the upgrade cat for emissions then the exhaust could be the same as '06. Another change for '07 US bikes was a new ECU. Confirm with Triumph/UK if yours is new or the '05-'06 version. Good luck.

· Registered
120 Posts
Hey JontyG

I have the same, picked up my bike in November, its an 07 look at the 11th digit which is a 7. Mine starts up pretty quick under a second, IMO cause the Aus and NZ bikes don't have SAI and CATS we don't have all the ***** hanging off the 07 bikes hence the 06 style exhasut. Don't worry about anything just ride your bike and enjoy it.

· Registered
114 Posts
If someone posted 60 mpg, then they were probably looking at the dash readout which isn't accurate. Mine will show 60-62 when I'm actually getting 38-40. So don't believe everything you read on the web. (Except this post of course :-D :-D :-D :-D )

· Registered
71 Posts
On 2007-01-08 19:55, Trumpy1050 wrote:
Hey JontyG

I have the same, picked up my bike in November, its an 07 look at the 11th digit which is a 7. Mine starts up pretty quick under a second, IMO cause the Aus and NZ bikes don't have SAI and CATS we don't have all the ***** hanging off the 07 bikes hence the 06 style exhasut. Don't worry about anything just ride your bike and enjoy it.
Excellent reason to enjoy having a '07 without the CAT, is that when you replace the exhaust with an aftermarket one, you won't get slammed with a fine and emissions test for modifying your emissions equipment!

It will become just like with cars where aftermarket exhausts have cats etc to stay legal and avoid whopping fines! :( Just imagine with new bikes in the future, cops see you with a aftermarket exhaust they are pretty much guaranteed you have removed a cat and :hammer: instant fine!!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.