Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
On the rockets ateleast we are discovering triumph has a habit of mix-n-match parts thats don't matter too much.. speedo units etc are always different on the rockets and you never know what you're gunna get.

· Premium Member
5,105 Posts
I hate to say it, but in the face of the clear VIN evidence that it's an '07... and the date of manufacture indicating that it's an '07... and the word of normally reliable sources on this forum that Australia and NZ have no cat-box requirement and therefore the exhaust will be different... your continued paranoia about the model year suggests that you may never be happy with the bike. It'll always be "oh what if this" or "oh I think I heard/saw that" or "I'm not sure of the other."

Will you be one of those chronic worrywarts who haunt this site until they finally find something about their particular bike that stresses them out sufficiently that they part with it? I hope not; we'd all much rather you enjoy your Speed Triple as much as most of us enjoy ours. But if you're not really sure, trade it in for a Honda at the earliest opportunity and spare everyone including yourself the hassle.

:hammer:

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
On 2006-11-30 21:35, Diego wrote:
Will you be one of those chronic worrywarts who haunt this site until they finally find something about their particular bike that stresses them out sufficiently that they part with it? I hope not; we'd all much rather you enjoy your Speed Triple as much as most of us enjoy ours. But if you're not really sure, trade it in for a Honda at the earliest opportunity and spare everyone including yourself the hassle.
:hammer:
I had a Honda before the triple....yep, that was definitely a "stress free" bike... :razz:

anyway, it's not a matter of being a worry wart, it's just that no one likes to feel ripped off. It's a matter of "buyer beware". The Triumph dealers here are not that helpful or forthcoming with information. Triumph (UK) are impossible contact directly, so I figured TriumphRAT would be a good place to ask a few questions and to ensure that i'm not going into this deal in complete ignorance.

Jonty

· Registered
338 Posts
I don't see a problem with you worrying about the model year.

If the sign on the bike from the dealer says 2007, then you better be getting one. Otherwise, you could save yourself some money and get a 2006.

If the bikes were EXACTLY the same, then, yea, I'd say you're whining.....but that's not the case.

I spoke to the Regional Manager of Triumph in my area.....he's been with Triumph for 7 years and is a great guy.

I sent him the pic of your VIN decal. He said he would need the last 6 numbers and/or letters of the VIN from the frame of the bike.

I believe it is the set of numbers on the left hand side of the steering column.

Let me know and I'll try and find out for sure for ya and settle this.

JOHN

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
On 2006-12-01 08:24, graciejohn2 wrote:
I spoke to the Regional Manager of Triumph in my area.....he's been with Triumph for 7 years and is a great guy.

I sent him the pic of your VIN decal. He said he would need the last 6 numbers and/or letters of the VIN from the frame of the bike.

I believe it is the set of numbers on the left hand side of the steering column.

Let me know and I'll try and find out for sure for ya and settle this.

JOHN
Thanks John.

I don't actually have the bike yet. As mentioned I bought it intersate, so I'm hoping it will be delivered to me sometime next week.

The VIN given in my first posting is definitely the VIN number of the bike. Here is another picture of the bikes VIN plate, as apposed to the Aussie compliance plate in my first post (can see the last digits (62) of what appears to be the VIN number stamped on the steering column to the right of plate):

[ This message was edited by: JontyG on 2006-12-01 16:30 ]

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
On 2006-12-02 04:54, rifleart wrote:
I've seen 3 '07 S3's, (all black), at dealers in NZ now. None have the exhaust shield. :???: :gooff: ">
cool, that seems to back up what the dealer told me about AU and NZ not getting the new exhaust. As long as they have the updated ECU, i'll be happy :cool:

· Registered
238 Posts
Sort of on the same subject, I have an '06 Bonnie at the moment. Trading it in for an '07 S3 in Jan.

Bonnies here arrive with the air injection setup for the exhaust valve area to burn off any unbunt gasoline coming out the exhaust. Apparently this is a requirement in the US to meet EPA standards.

It is not a requirement in NZ and lots of Bonnie riders remove the injection system and plug the hole (a kit is provided by one dealer here, perhaps others).

The upshot of this air injection system is; much hotter exhaust gases and therefore more extensive exhaust pipe bluing.
Also, with other more free breathing exhaust systems than the standard, if the air injection system is still in place and not plugged there is a lot of popping and backfiring. (I like that!).

Back to the subject at hand, perhaps it is true, that in NZ and Aussie, because the "catalyst converter" system is not required by regulation, the extra paraphenalia is not installed on the '07 S3 here and therefore not requiring the exhaust shield to cover ugly stuff. Yes,....... no? Any other ideas?

I know, a little :eek:fft: :???: :brk:

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
On 2006-12-02 13:49, Martin_R wrote:
So the '07 S3s are getting an improved Keihin brain. Anyone know if the TuneBoy will still work OK with the new Keihin?
:???:
That's a good point! I'm guessing TB could be used to verify the serial number or version of the ECU, from which one should be able to work out if it is the new and improved one or not, right??

Surely the Triumph dealer could verify this with their engine management system software? :???:

· Registered
345 Posts
On 2006-12-02 13:49, Martin_R wrote:
So the '07 S3s are getting an improved Keihin brain. Anyone know if the TuneBoy will still work OK with the new Keihin?
:???:
I just went through this with Wayne at TuneBoy...Had a problem at first, but he worked it out...runs strong now! Contact Wayne if you have an 07...

[ This message was edited by: GrahamC on 2006-12-02 17:54 ]

· Registered
192 Posts
Just curious. The A$15,990.00 price tag caught my eye. The list on my '06 in the USA was $11,000.00, or A$13,905.00. I guess, besides inflation and dollar devaluation, the new ECU, CAT, exhaust shields and improved rear view mirrors must have warranted the price increase. Are there any other upgrades between the '06 and '07 I missed?

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
On 2006-12-02 21:00, Skydakine wrote:
Just curious. The A$15,990.00 price tag caught my eye. The list on my '06 in the USA was $11,000.00, or A$13,905.00. I guess, besides inflation and dollar devaluation, the new ECU, CAT, exhaust shields and improved rear view mirrors must have warranted the price increase. Are there any other upgrades between the '06 and '07 I missed?
AFAIK AU$15,990 has been the asking price by Aussie dealers for the '06 and '07 S3, there has not been a price change.

Thats the first i've heard of improved mirrors...

· Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, after all the gripes of the S3 mirrors giving a good view of your shoulders and not much else behind you, they fixed it with more contemporary shaped, wider extending mirrors that actually work! I sat on an '07 in a showroom in Portland, OR and noticed the improvement from my '06.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
On 2006-12-02 21:32, Skydakine wrote:
Yeah, after all the gripes of the S3 mirrors giving a good view of your shoulders and not much else behind you, they fixed it with more contemporary shaped, wider extending mirrors that actually work! I sat on an '07 in a showroom in Portland, OR and noticed the improvement from my '06.
ah yeah...i think looking at the pic in my first post it does look like the mirrors are more elongated than the '05/'06 models. difficult to tell from the angle.

I was planning to change the mirrors to a set of these, but the OEM mirrors will probably function better now, so I may not have an excuse to fork out the AU$520 for them :hammer:

· Premium Member
5,105 Posts
> My date IS 06/06 but the VIN is WAY different from JontyG's.

This is as it should be.

You'll notice that the VIN prefix is one character shorter in the US than in the Lands Down Under. This is because different administrations around the world require manufacturers to identify the origins of the bike and the regional standards with which it complies in different manners.

The one thing that is pretty much uniform worldwide is that the first digit after the prefix stands for the model year; the remainder are consecutive numbering of all the bikes of all models that came off that manufacturer's production line.

> JontyG writes: "anyway, it's not a matter of being a worry wart, it's just that no one likes to feel ripped off."
> graciejohn2 writes: "I don't see a problem with you worrying about the model year."

You know, I agree with the reason JontyG posted in the first place. But with all respect, gentlemen, it is excessive to worry about something like this for so long!

I can even understand your further initial concern when the first US responses came from folks who tend to forget that the rest of the world isn't just like us...in vehicle standards, or anything else. But where does that initial concern end? Shouldn't it be when guys local to your part of the world, and who have plenty of experience with bikes, reassure you that everything is ship-shape?

If you're just taking an opinion survey, then those who are closest to the situation and tried to give you factual advice are wasting their time. I've seen this happen so many times in these forums, and the person almost invariably continues to fret and become dissatisfied.

Apply some critical thinking skills, man! You ought to be able to discern who's in a position to best know their stuff as it applies where you are. And if you can't DO that, then what's the point in asking on a board like this???

If you don't trust the outcome from posting here, look elsewhere for answers. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but really, what's the point if you can't sort out the facts that have been posted.

Your options:

If you don't trust your dealer, ring up another one on the other side of the country. But maybe you don't trust strangers, either. OK...contact the importer. But of course, they have a vested interest in getting you to buy, so maybe they'll lie to you as well. You could write to Triumph in the UK. They can easily tell you what month the '07 Triples began rolling off the line; but of course you'll wait a long time for a response.

Your BETTER options:

You live in a country that's a bit more open and independent than ours in many ways, but you've still got plenty of bureaucracy. And there is somebody, at some level of government, who can INSTANTLY give you the authoritative answer you seem to crave so d'mn desperately!

In the States, any traffic patrolman who's a certified peace officer can tell you from a momentary glance at the VIN what the model year is! Unless you live in such a remote village that the night watchman is the only law you have, the odds are your local police can clear this up for you as quickly as ours could.

If not, then remember this: you do have to register and tag the vehicle SOMEWHERE once you get it. The staff in that office should be able to look at your photo of the sticker and tell you the model year without thinking twice!

If you sinply won't believe the advice you receive here, then at least avail yourself of the local resources that are available to you before this becomes an unhealthy obsession.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.