Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
521 Posts
One way to know if the bikes are '07 or earlier is by how fast the motor fires up once you hit the starter button. As per the Cycle World article on the Tiger from the November issue.

"The ECU was jointly developed with Keihin, but the mapping is all done in-house. This is the "Second generation" Keihin unit, and the benefits of this over the previous version (fitted to the '05-06 1050s) are many. Memory is doubled, which means it can run more maps and therefore features more sophisticated fueling strategies. "The ECU now knows how long it has been since the engine was last run and adjusts it's strategy accordingly", says Warburton (Triumph's Head Project Manager). "Hot and cold startings are improved significantly. Whereas the previous-generation of software needed 1.5 seconds of cranking before starting, the new system needs only 0.4 of a second. We have also improved transient fueling control, giving better driveability, reduced emissions and reduced fuel consumption." The ECU is already used on the Daytona 675 and will be fitted to the Sprint and SPEED TRIPLE for 2007."

Another thing to point out is that the article featured commentary after taking the Tiger for a ride with a previous version, a BMW R1200GS and a Susuki V-Strom. And Cycle World really talked up the Tiger as compared to the other bikes. :-D Which gives me a warm and cozy feeling all over since I have one on order. :-D

And not that it makes a difference but I noticed in the picture of the Tiger in Cycle World the shield is in place on the '07 Tiger. :???:

[ This message was edited by: OKCTriple on 2006-11-30 16:13 ]

· Registered
521 Posts
On 2006-11-30 16:02, JontyG wrote:
On 2006-11-30 15:52, OKCTriple wrote:
One way to know if the bikes are '07 or earlier is by how fast the motor fires up once you hit the starter button...
Thanks, good to know.

Unfortunately it won't really help me, cause due to circumstances, I bought the bike from a dealer in a different state to where i'm currently living, so i won't get to start it before i take delivery of it :( . I'll probably get the dealer to double check it against some '06 models they have on the floor, but i'm still at their mercy as far as honesty goes...and judging by the "21 litre fuel tank" they tout, I'm not too hopeful in the honesty stakes :razz:
Well if anything, they need to ensure you it has the new improved ECU. The exhaust I would'nt worry about so much, you are bound to change it anyway, but the ECU is a huge improvement and one of the reasons you are purchasing an '07 (right?). :wink:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.