Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am between bikes now, and want to get a Bonneville sooooo much.
But, I'm concerned that it will punish me to death on a cross-country trip later this summer. I am 6'4", need to lose a few pounds, and we will pack for light camping...should I get the BMW R1100RT or R,or GS??
....or are there windshield and other options available to equip the Bonnie for me?

Any long-disance veterans out there?....Appreciate any advice, Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
You Cannnnnnnnn, but you'll be much happier with the BMW. Not sure where you're located but Carolinaeuro in Greensboro NC has a real nice low milage 2002 R1150RT for sale now.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Sure it's possible, probably not that bad, but a Bonny is Not a GS1100, or even a Sprint....
Cross country touring is possible on a bicycle for that matter, maybe even better, depending on who you talk too...you would see more that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It would be hard to outfit, in my opinion, particularly since you have used the word 'we'. On the other hand, those BMW 1100RTs and 1150RTs are very, very cheap and readily available. You can get very lightly used ones, less than 20,000 mi., for $6,000. They run forever. You just have to deal with BMW dealerships, is the only problem.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Why not?

The new Bonnies are reliable and rideable. If you want you can have a cruiser, Speedmaster/America. If you want the Bonnie, get the new SE with Alloy wheels, add a Parabellum Screen, some hard bags for $500, a KING/QUEEN seat, some highway pegs, and add a tooth to the counter sprocket. It will not be a big cruiser but will be comfortable with enough power to get you were you are going. When not touring remove all of the above and have great ride.

·
29,948 Posts
Yes it is possible - more than possible.

People have been long distance touring on a lot smaller bikes for a long time. Heck that Robert Pirsig guy who wrote "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" toured two up from Minneapolis to San Francisco and back on a honda 305 cc bike. Plenty of others have done similar adventures.

Yep, the Bonnie is quite capable of long distance touring. All depends what you want to do and feel comfortable with.

EDIT: I wouldn't go two up touring on it, but I don't like two up riding on a bike full stop anyway.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes you can, easily. Don't get trapped into the gotta have this or that mentality. People have successfully toured continents by bicycle, scooter, motorcycle and on foot. Bonnie is a steady reliable bike that will make your journey not only possible but very enjoyable. I have highway pegs, parabellum windscreen, 19 tooth sprocket, lowered foot pegs, king/queen saddle, Cortech nylon bags, lots of camping gear.

·
Registered
200 Posts
On top of the other add ons listed above, I'd add one thing: Grip Heaters. While not a "necessity", it sure makes cold-weather riding a bit more enjoyable...

TBD

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman did around the world in their BMW's...and they were inspired by Ted Simon who rode around the world in a Triumph...

Realistically, I think a long tour with a Bonneville is possible..and am planning it this summer! Definitely not 2 up tho..my wife will be on her own Bonnie.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Add a windscreen and luggage, use secondary roads and all will be good. I"ve got a FJR1300 and when touring on that I'll use the interstates. Now, with a Scrambler and a KLR, I tour on the back roads and leave the FJR at home. I don't always get as far as I would on the FJR but I have WAY MORE FUN!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Two-up on a Helix

A number of years back, senior citizens Tom and Nancy Wilson, at the time, the SE Road Reps for AMA toured the circumference of the US on a 250cc Honda Helix scooter riding two-up, and they were still married at the end! They had a commemorative plaque mounted on the back of the scooter afterward.
So I guess that shows you that nearly anything is POSSIBLE!
Fun? Depends on your definition, I suppose!
Bob
Yes it is possible - more than possible.

People have been long distance touring on a lot smaller bikes for a long time. Heck that Robert Pirsig guy who wrote "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" toured two up from Minneapolis to San Francisco and back on a honda 305 cc bike. Plenty of others have done similar adventures.

Yep, the Bonnie is quite capable of long distance touring. All depends what you want to do and feel comfortable with.

EDIT: I wouldn't go two up touring on it, but I don't like two up riding on a bike full stop anyway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
10,000 miles in ten weeks! 1974

After Viet Nam and college, I loaded up my trusty 1971 Daytona 500 and went off to find a better place to live than upstate New York, traveling through 25 states, asking questions all the way, I ended up moving to northern California the next year. the only trouble with the bike, besides having to adjust the valves every other day, was a broken clutch cable! this was before they had "touring bikes",I say "go for it!"

Attachments

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
2005 trip on R100GS - 2006 trip on T100

I've owned the Beemer since 1991, now has 116,000 miles showing, still going strong, ridden out West from Hudson, OH in 2005. Started the trip with nearly 90k showing. The 2003 T100 was purchased used with 4k miles showing in Dec 2005, and ridden out west in 2006 starting mileage approx 7k miles. The accompanying Google maps give you an idea of daily progress, though both calculated mileage totals are several hundred miles short of actual, since I didn't correct the plots where they took the shorter route. Actual trip mileage on the BMW was 4400, and approx 5000 miles on the T100 a year later.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/bcgilligan/?action=view&current=GSinUtah2005.jpg

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/bcgilligan/?action=view&current=HudsonOHtoUtahandHome.jpg

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/bcgilligan/Riding Out West/?action=view&current=IMG_6541-1.jpg

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n284/bcgilligan/?action=view&current=HudsonOhiotoAZUTWYandHome.jpg

I rode by myself on the BMW in 2005, and due to having set a firm arrival date, rode mostly Interstate. 600 mile days a couple of times, close to 700 on day one from Hudson Ohio to Hannibal Missouri.

In 2006, my riding buddy, Tom, and I decided to do the Britbike thing instead of taking larger bikes. We mapped ourselves on nearly 100% non-Interstate roads, therefore weren't clipping off longer distance days. We may have averaged 300-325 miles per day. I pulled one day on the T100 from LaCrosse, WI to Wauseon, OH of nearly 600 miles.

I had my T100 equipped with better rear shocks, 18t sprocket(for the trip - reverted to 17 when I got back home - in retrospect the 17 would have been fine). Rode with stock saddle, no windshield, low handlebars. Tom's Bonnie was a Cadillac by comparison, with higher handlebars, K&Q saddle with sheepskin, and much larger hard bags (plus a windshield)

Both the Beemer and T100 made the trip just fine, although I personally didn't feel quite as whipped at the end of the day when I took the Airhead Beemer, probably due to the longer, softer suspension travel on the GS style bike. The old Airhead is an absolute mile eater, and the T100 was no slouch in that respect either. Both the R100GS and T100 bikes fit me quite well, although the Beemer is a bear for me to get off of, with a full load of luggage and its "Hitler's Revenge" spring loaded side stand which I cannot put down from the saddle. (Don't ask .... any short dude who's owned one understands).

Whatever bike you decide to take, go for it. You'll remember both the good and bad days for the rest of your life. And I haven't had a bad day!

Bob

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
two up touring on a bonnie?

nae bother, by the way, don't panic!

I'm 6', 18 st (ok, I'm big boned) my wife, I'd better not say, but she's not wee. Last summer we toured the Scottish highlands on what is basically a Bonnie with high pipes, it was great fun. We've toured Norway on a t'bird sport, to the Isle of Man on a bmw r100r, to Mull and Iona on an xjr1300, to Ireland on a bmw r1150r. The Scram was as good as any of the others, but we weren't in a hurry.

the intro and the offski
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s3C3ZWHsNvI&feature=channel_page

over the bridge to Skye
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fMJAgjMhu9g&feature=channel

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did 1300 miles on the US east coast last summer over 4 days on my '08 T100. No windscreen or saddlebags and I wouldn't do it again. The bike CAN do it, it's just not made for it. Riding comfort becomes an issue, getting beaten up by the wind, stopping for gas every 125-150 miles and nobody wants to work on a Triumph. I got a flat and had to beg a Honda dealer to get me going again. He initially said no. There was not a Triumph dealer for 300 miles. You get down in the Southeast USA and they don't see many Bonnevilles. I had a policeman in GA stop me just to ask "What year is that thing?"

1 - 20 of 147 Posts