Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I have a few hundred miles of riding on my 2001 stock TB that I picked up last November... is it normal to have difficulty shifting between 4th to 5th gear? It seems to be harder to get it from 4th into 5th gear than any of the other gears. Also is it true that these bikes prefer to be above 3000 RPMs for maximum performance? Mine has a little over 13,000 miles and other than the 4-5 shifting it's perfect!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I have a 99, and have no issues between any gears, except maybe a false neutral In higher gears once in a while. And yes, you will find the most usable torque above 3000 RPM. Above 4000 RPM the bike pulls like a freight train.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
How do you define "difficulty"? Is it the effort you need to apply to the lever, or are you missing shifts (false neutral)?

What kind of oil are you using? How long since it was changed? Is it at the proper level? The engine oil also baths the wet clutch and lubricates the transmission.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to be a false neutral sporadically when shifting between 4-5 usually at the 3000 rpm range. Changed the oil this winter level is good. I used Ravenol full synthetic motorcycle

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Seems to be a false neutral sporadically when shifting between 4-5 usually at the 3000 rpm range. Changed the oil this winter level is good. I used Ravenol full synthetic motorcycle
That’s a pretty low rpm to be shifting at, these engine like to be run at higher rpms. Have you tried shifting at a higher rpm?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s a pretty low rpm to be shifting at, these engine like to be run at higher rpms. Have you tried shifting at a higher rpm?
Not consistently but I'll shift at higher RPMs today and see how that goes I'm used to shifting at about 3k. Is full synthetic oil ok for these bikes?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found my answer on recommended oils from a 2014 post where WSC and IRL Mike provide good information. Thanks all for your input

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used to get plenty of false neutrals 4 - 5 .
I did need to make a positive / firm gearchange.
When I did a casual flick it was not a happy lady.!
The habit soon developed and false neutrals went away.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Consider adjusting the shift lever down slightly, that way you'll pull it higher by instinct.

[edit]Oh, wait, it's not a TBS. That may not be possible...
It is and I did adjust the shift lever down one notch and one quick ride tells me that might be the ticket. Just enough to make me shift cleaner on the upshift. Thanks all. Will report back after my next extended ride! A bit fickle the old girl but I love her for it!! So much knowledge and good info on this forum!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
My '03 shifting starts acting up when it wants new oil and oddly enough brand and weight matter. I know that they don't make it but Triumph brand seems to work.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My '03 shifting starts acting up when it wants new oil and oddly enough brand and weight matter. I know that they don't make it but Triumph brand seems to work.
IRLMIKE recommended 10w40 Castrol Racing power 1 T4 full synthetic

·
Registered
443 Posts
My 99 Legend is hard to shift with 10w40. Shifts fine with 15w50. Don't understand it, but have bigger things to worry about in life. That's what it likes, that's what it gets.

I use Motul semi-synth.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know this has been talked about elsewhere, and maybe here, but do you pre-load the lever before you change? I find the smoothest changes are when I weight the lever up slightly before the clutch action. Clutch in and more pressure up into the gate. Kinda just slips into gear smoothly.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am experimenting with my shifts on the bike. I've adjusted the shift lever down one notch and took her for a long ride today...did not have any false neutrals on the upshift today but did have one on the downshift. Seems to happen when the bike is good and hot. I have to get used to the lower shift lever but it seems to help. I'm also going to change the oil using Amsoil motorcycle synthetic 20w50 oil to see if that has any impact on the shifts. Will report back with my findings. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far the results are positive for a smoother shift without false neutrals. I changed the oil using amsoil oil full synthetic 20w 50 for motorcycles and I lowered the shifter peg one notch. Much improvement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts