Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a brand new 2012 Bonnie SE and it only has 40 miles on it (that i put on between riding home from the dealership and taking it out for a short spin today). I've noticed that there are a few spots around the gaskets (head /valve cover) where it looks like it is weeping a bit of oil. Is this normal during the break in period for a bike?

All of my bikes have leaked oil...but that is because they were all ancient pieces of junk.

I am obsessive and this will drive me crazy until someone tells me its normal (calm down Russ) or that I need to bring it back to the dealer.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Driftless Admin
11,776 Posts
Can't believe that is still a problem after all this time. Yes, sadly, completely normal. But, happily, nothing but a cosmetic issue.

Have the dealer fix it under warranty, they're used to it I'm sure. No hurry though. Wait for a spate of bad weather so you don't miss much riding

·
Registered
902 Posts
There are remedies for this but if this bike is THAT brand new, then I would turn around and go straight back to the dealer. It would make me wonder what else on the bike needs attention

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does the fix entail? Is it simply caused by the gaskets not seating properly? Cylinder heads not torqued to the correct amount?

·
Registered
79 Posts
On my thruxton they replaced the gasket first and then eventually the whole valve cover. I also had a problem where a plug at the rear of the engine wasn't properly torqued. When I traded it in it was leaking again - probably from the rear, but not sure.....

·
Registered
603 Posts
Do a search for cam cover leaks and you will get a plethora of info. Historically the issue has been the washers under the shoulder bolts compressing too much. The shoulder bolts only screw in to the shoulder and voila, a very slightly loose cam cover that can weep a wee bit of oil.

·
Registered
902 Posts
What does the fix entail? Is it simply caused by the gaskets not seating properly? Cylinder heads not torqued to the correct amount?
This is just a guess on my part as I can't actually see the bike but it would not surprise if the dealership used the old style cam cover bolts seals or the cam cover bolts.

Triumph changed out the thickness of the cam cover bolt seals and the bolts because of the weeping issues that these twin were very well known. This solution was a pretty much a sure fire fix to the problem and is why it makes me think that you have a set of the old style bolt seals in there.

Part # T1260309 are the BAD bolt seals that you don't want and will weep on you.

Part # T1260337 are the ones you want that has fixed this problem. My bet is that the dealer had some old stock or whatever reason...but you don't have the right bolt seals sitting in it. It is a 10 minute fix that redefines simple but this bike is WAY too new...the dealer should do it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is just a guess on my part as I can't actually see the bike but it would not surprise if the dealership used the old style cam cover bolts seals or the cam cover bolts.

Triumph changed out the thickness of the cam cover bolt seals and the bolts because of the weeping issues that these twin were very well known. This solution was a pretty much a sure fire fix to the problem and is why it makes me think that you have a set of the old style bolt seals in there.

Part # T1260309 are the BAD bolt seals that you don't want and will weep on you.

Part # T1260337 are the ones you want that has fixed this problem. My bet is that the dealer had some old stock or whatever reason...but you don't have the right bolt seals sitting in it. It is a 10 minute fix that redefines simple but this bike is WAY too new...the dealer should do it
Why would the dealer have put wrong parts in the bike? The bike is brand new and came directly from the factory. They would have no reason to take anything apart before selling be the bike.

·
Registered
902 Posts
It could have come from the line this way as well...mistakes happen but the symptoms you are describing makes me think you have the old style seals in there. This is not something you would know unless you are riding the bike down the road and the weep starts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Here is something on youtube explaining exactly what we are talking about here. Pretty cool as this is about the only mechanical stuff I have found on the modern Bonnies with youtube but it explains this weeping you are asking about

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makes sense. I am no wrench monkey...so I'm not sure what the name of the section of engine im referring to is.

The leak is not coming from the top gasket (cam cover?), but rather the next gasket down (valve cover? head gasket). It looks like its dripped down the fins and pooled around the bottom gasket on the left hand side of the bike (engine block gasket?)

·
Registered
902 Posts
You will have to go leak hunting. Remember you are riding down the road with the wind blowing and it generally is a minor weep so the wind will carry it. When I first discovered mine, I saw it by noticing my side panel had oil on it. Normally you will find that the weep is sourced at your cam cover. If it isn't...then it is something you definitely want the dealer to look at with being this new

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have oil weeping at 3 different places on my 2011 SE.But not at the valve covers as most others have had.Bike has only 3,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had this same problem among others like leaking oil filter, banjo and sump. Everyone said it was normal bla bla bla....then my jug started leaking...all under 400 miles on a 2013 thruxton. I have since gotten a brand new one from Triumph.

I would recommend not letting anyone tell you its normal and have it all documented at the dealer as fuel for a potential fire later on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

Update: I've finally been able to put some miles on the bike. I took her for a 200 mile ride this weekend and as far as I can tell....the leak has seemed to dissapear. At the time I first wrote this post, the bike had only been through one heat-up/cool down cycle and had 30 miles on the clock. Is it possible that with the heating/cooling and additional miles, the parts have bedded and seals have seated?

The only spot i see a tiny bit of oil now is right under the bolt that holds the clutch lifter bracket (of the 2 bolts, its the one closest tothe front of the bike).

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It could well be that it's not engine oil at all. These bikes come from the factory covered in a waxy/oily substance to protect them during shipping. It should be cleaned off during the dealer's prep, but sometimes they don't do a very good job and when the motor warms up for the first few times the stuff drips off. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened and has been reported on here as a problem before.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This forum rocks...if only for the fact that I need some consensus to alleviate my OCD..haha. Do you gents know if the clutch cables come lubed from the factory? Based on where i saw the drip on the left cover right below the clutch cable bracket makes me think that it might also be some kind of lube...not oil. Either way...i need to learn to quit staring on the bike and just go for a damn ride!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been watching this forum for a couple of years now because I'd get a couple drops of oil on the cylinder fins after every ride. I finally noticed a little channel between the spark plug cavity and the fins and decided the problem must just be oil weeping from the cam cover, flowing down the spark plug cavity, and through the channel onto the fins. So today I finally took the plunge and changed the cam cover bolt seals. Just came back from a ride and not a drop of oil on the fins. I love my Bonnie again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts