Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Daveforty, I've only ever seen the odd MKI Speed Triple and the odd MKI Daytona over here in my coner of Canada.
As for the black engine coating issue, I've heard of this but never experienced it with either of my TBS's. I've seen it on other T300? Maybe I got lucky? I've certainly seen it on other Thunderbird based T300. I've got 93,000km on mine with no flaking. I keep expecting it to flake but so far, so good.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had a silver and blue 900 Trident very similar to the one above. It was fast enough, and once the engine got to 6000revs, it really took off. But the cost of running it was crippling - 32mpg average, plus servicing and tyres and various repairs etc etc. After 75000m it broke its camchain so I sold it off to a guy who wanted a project. It was fun while it lasted, but I dont miss it. And the black coating on the engine came off in large flakes after one winter's worth of riding. Bikes like that are cheap in the UK, typically ~£1000 (~1600USD)
I had a 95 Trident that I put 47k miles on but it was a buzzy rascal. Never had a problem til the 98 TBS came out and I traded the trident. The guy who bought the old Trident still has it and loves it. I went on to own both the 98 and a 2000 TBS and both were problem free.
I just look at those bikes and compare them to the UJM of the time and here in the states at least the Triumph seems to have been as well built if not better. I did buy a 98 Daytona and sold it to buy a 99 that I still have. Over the same period of time I went through 4 Jap bikes and whilst they did every thing very well they had no soul for me. Today all but 2 bikes in the garage are Triumphs and I don't see buying another. Shame is I put a deposit on a Motus and not the new shaft Trophy. I didn't want another shaft drive after the ST1300.:D

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Shaft drive seems hit-or-miss to me. I had a Yamaha 650 Seca with shaft drive and it had enough shaft effect for me and everyone else on the road. With my Guzzi, you'd never know there's a shaft back there unless you looked. Give credit to Dr. John Wittner and the torque arm he developed for the Guzzi Daytona.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm curious, HAP. What are your thoughts about the shaft drive? Did the ST give you trouble?
The shaft on a huge (Gold Wing, BMW, UJM Cruiser) works perfectly for that type of bike and riding style. 1000 high way miles a day. 100k per year if you want. I just never got into pounding asphalt.

For me the ST1300 was a fantastic timex watch. Took a beating and kept on ticking. But the chase of a lighter, purpose built sport tour bike was getting to hard to enjoy. The gear change in the twisty didn't feel secure, the whine when down shifting hard to get the back to stray out was annoying and the cost of an inspection and seal replacement was just to much. With out the shaft and it's added weight the ST would still be in my garage.

Lefty's Goose and it's shaft cured a lot of those little problems but to me the bike was gutless and had way to many design flaws to keep. (Not really Lefty's personal bike but a goose).

The Triumph Trophy, 900 and 1200, gave super service to those who ride them and my brother still rides the snot out of his but they were to tall with a full tank to play in the corners but the chains never gave a problem if cared for

The Sprint ST, with my personal mods, makes a super play thing for me. Bought with 2200 miles, now with 16k one year latter the chain and sprockets are cleaned and oiled each trip out. I don't slave over them just maintenance. The Yam FJ1300, Kawk 1400 are both fantastic bikes but take 75 pounds off of shaft and they would be better. I don't care to argue about shaft vs chain this is just my opinion.:D:D

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Ah yes, HAP, the extra weight is a downside. I appreciate your insights. You are right there is no need to argue over which is better. The neat thing is there are so many bikes for so many purposes.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts