Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have owned this black beauty for 2 years now, and I have always been told it was, get ready for this, it's a mouth full...
Triumph Sprint Executive Sports Limited Edition ?
Is this correct ?
Or has she got another name ?
It is on a 1997 plate D.O.R 05/01/1997, 885 cc, I was also told that this limited edition only comes in black, as the other colours red, green and blue are just standard sprint models.
Can anyone give advise please.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
No expert here, but I always thought that the Executive had the hard bags and no chin spoiler. Mine (1998) is with bags, no chin plastic, but BRG not black, obviously. Yours has no hard bag mounting hardware that I can see, so I'd say "Sprint" and not "Sprint Exec."

Great looking bike! Which seat is on the bike?

TIA
Derswede

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
In 1994, Triumph put a half-fairing on the Trident and called it a Trident Sprint. For '95, the same bike lost the Trident graphics and name and was called, simply, the Sprint. The Sprint did well and stayed in the lineup, keeping the 885cc carbureted motor when the Daytona and Speed Triple went to injectors in '97. For '98, the Sprint was part of the parts bin cleanup crew. It came in 2 models, the Executive and the Sport. The Exec got the Trophy's hard bags, the Sport got the old Daytona's front end and pipes and its own low bars. The Executive was available in Platinum, Pacific Blue, British Racing Green, and Volcanic Red; the Sport came in Jet Black and Tornado Red. For model year '99, the Sprint Executive was recreated with the injected 955 motor and a full fairing and called the Sprint ST. The Sport was remade as the Sprint RS and kept the half fairing.

You appear to have an early release Sprint Sport, the difference from the actual '98 bikes being the '97 reg.

Also, seeing as it's a carbureted bike, discussion about it actually belongs over in the T3 forum. Donski? Dave?

Oh, and the chin spoiler wasn't standard. I thought it came from the accessory catalog, but I don't see it in there so it may have been 3rd-party.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
363 Posts
What ever it is... it's a great looking machine! Not to mention rare.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I'm positive; that's a Sargent. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ref Everyone's replys

Thanks Guys, This has been a really big help, if for no other reason, it will help with searching for spares as to date it's been a nightmare, more often than not I get sent the wrong parts, even from Triumph dealers ! And a big thanks go's to KitNYC for so much detailed info, Cheers Dave, also a discussion seems to have started ref the Seat, again if anyone has any other/further info regarding this machine in anyway please add to the topic, by the way for the want of sounding thick, whats a sargent seat ? All I was told was that a local bike shop here in Newport South Wales makes them by hand, not sure but would like to find out more.
Cheers Again Everyone.:D
Paul.
P.S. It has been mentioned that this thread should be moved to T3 forum, not sure what or how to do it ? Any takers ?:confused:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Paul, Sargent is an American manufacturer of aftermarket seats. If yours is not one of theirs, it's very reminiscent of them. Here's a link to their 955 Sprint page. Does your seat have a clear plastic storage tube on the underside? That and the cargo hooks are Sargent's signature bits.

Knowing that your bike is a Sprint Sport may help you, but it hardly guarantees getting anything more than a dumb look from the guy at the parts counter. I recommend starting with "it's a Sprint 900, you know, with carburettors..." before confusing them with the Sport designation. Also, Triumph did start selling them in 1997, but it may be easier to refer to it as a '98 when asking for parts as it was officially a '98 model.

As far as moving the thread goes, DaveM will have to do that. I'm sure he'll get to it at some point, but he's been a bit overwhelmed ever since his co-Moderator Don ran off with an umbrella girl last week. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's a very nice looking Sprint you've got there...

Enter it into the Bike of the Month poll and you'll get my vote!

JohnM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again Kit

Wow, I guess I am a lucky boy thanks to people like yourselfs, a mind of information, cheers KIT, and also thanks for all the nice comments ref my bike, JohnM, as you may gather I am new to this, could you give me a pointer on how to enter for this months bike of the month ?
By the way, I just discovered my seat is not a Sargent, although very close, apparently, as stated before IT WAS hand made for the bike by a biker here in South Wales UK who will reproduce any bike seat for ones like this, and compared to Sargent's price of around $400, he will do it for around $150.
Thanks again all.:D

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Nice lookin' bike BTW.
And ditto what Kit said about making very clear to whoever's manning the parts counter that you have a carbureted Sprint. When I first bought my '95 I'd go in for parts and after I told them it was a '95 Sprint, their first question was always, "Is it and RS or an ST?" I finally started telling them right up front, "I have a '95 Sprint. It's the carbureted 900". Even then, I sometimes still get the question. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts