Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from you good people. I have a daytona 900 ('96) and on Saturday I popped into town (a return journey of about 20 miles) After about 9 miles my oil light came on for 1 second then went off which I thought was odd because I checked the oil recently and it was fine. It came on again for 1 sec then went off. It did this a few times and I thought that when I got home and the bike cooled I would check it again.
I went into a shop for 10 mins and when I came out I checked under the bike for leaking oil and there was none. So satisfied that I would get home I jumped on and off I went.
However after I had travelled another 5 miles the oil light came on constant. I thought that I would make it home and didn't have any choice since I was on the motorway. Then about a minute later the bike lurched and I heard a sound that I could only describe as it sounding as though someone had chucked a bag of spanners in the engine. Then I lost all power and pulled the clutch so that I could coast to the side of the motorway. To cut a long story short (and save you all from a rant about a neighbour (and biker) who wouldn't help because he wanted to watch tv) I have the bike home and I can put it in neautral or first but no other gear. It will not start although the power comes on. When I try to turn it over it does just gives one click.

I have checked the oil and there is plenty.

Any thoughts on what it is and how much it would cost to fix???

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Pull the clutch in and rock the bike and you'll probably find the other gears.

It's time to start pulling covers. The answer you seek is probably in the oil sump. If not there, then look under the cam cover.

·
Registered
826 Posts
it sounds like something has seized, either a cylinder, or a big end bearing......
if there is plenty of oil, then it can only really point to a knackered oil pump, as the oil warning light is not for vloume of oil, but oil pressure.
either way, yeah the engine is pretty much screwed, and would very likely cost more to fix than buying a second hand motor to stick in it.
they come up reasonably cheap, i got my 750 motor for about 250 quid, so a more common 900 motor should be easy to find!

i would definately be inclined to strip the old motor even if it is just to confirm what went wrong in the first place!

good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts