Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Yes but it looks good, like a mini Bobber, and it is the kind of cheaper smaller capacity bike Harley and Triumph should be making to attract younger riders. That and a 250 sport bike of some kind.
No way! What they need is a 2301cc bike so they can say they are the big boys on the block. When in doubt...sales are bad...GO BIG. Look at Hummer. Gas crunch...economical hardships...American consumerism faltering...no problem; defy logic and offer more power!! More power!! Did I mention they should offer more power? The avid motorcyclists might see the need for lawn mower bikes and the common sense approach that it has but I am VERY doubtful it would be coming out of HD or Triumph; especially within the American market. Power, strength, bigger, faster, and better always solves the problem.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
But not for kids on basic minimum wage. More power, bigger faster costs big bucks.

KTM have the right idea. Kids I work with would go for this as long as it doesn't cost the earth.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
I agree but once again, I don't see the "premiere" brands re-tooling their infrastructure to cater into that market. HD, Triumph, BMW, Ducati...whoever. That in large part what the Japanese manufacturers will cater to because road production of that is an off-shoot of their off road production bikes. Kind of like saying why doen't KTM come out with a Road King. Barring the exceptional case, I do not see too many 18-20 year olds going out to buy a HD; as a matter of fact, when did they ever? There are certain brands that riders "work" their way up to so to speak. I always wanted a Trumpet when I was a kid but it was out my reach so I hammered away on Kawasakis. I don't think I am anything special when it comes to that situation...actually, I think my story is pretty common in that regard.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Sold Out

I had read somewhere the EX250's sell out and people have to order them. So you've got people standing around with $$ in their pockets waiting on motorcycles. Too bad Triumph and Harley won't take a crack at that market.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
:( Sorry, I forgot about Victory. Shouldn't have, cos I had a Hammer S as a courtesy bike a couple of years back, and it was an impressive bit of kit!

:) No issue with me, it wasn't you I was trying to nudge, it is those lazy Minnesota boys. It's my opinion if someone wants a reliable Harley they should get a Victory. I would certainly understand if they passed on the batcycle though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Actually, all joking aside, Harley makes a bike I sorta like now:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/2010_Motorcycles/2010_motorcycles.html?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US#/model/xr1200

Okay, so, it's not "new" but I think we here, in the states, were only able to buy it since last year.
Yup. And that bike's been a huge flop in the US market. My local dealer has three 09 leftovers sitting there gathering dust. I think he said he sold one XR1200 last year.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Here's a Harley I wouldn't mind riding.

But it has been "breathed on" by tuning legend Mert Lawwill

·
Registered
473 Posts
Despite the fierce loyalty that the average HD customer displays, the company needs to reinvent itself and attract a new younger following.
This. Coincidentally I was just browsing the Harley website last night, and they do have one bike that is definitely targeting young riders. It's the sportster "48" or whatever they're calling it. It's reasonably priced (10k-ish), and pretty cool looking. They have a slickly produced 2 or 3 minute video that shows a pack of young people riding their sportsters around to various sleazy bars and house parties. It's pretty well done, although I can't help but picture these same people cooking up some meth or shooting heroin at some point in the video.

In any case, with that particular bike, I think they're on the right path. I really do like the way it looks, but it has a 2.1 gallon tank, which is just annoying, and no space for a passenger, which is not practical for me. So, I'd probably never buy one.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Case in point:

Stay on your HD, dude.
I've been riding for 35 + years I'm 48. Three years ago my boss in his mid 50's just got into riding and bought a full dresser. Shortly after that standing next to his bike in chaps he said, " When are you going to sell that Triumph & buy a Harley then you can be one of the crowd !" --- I almost threw up.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I agree. It's a nice looking bike with serious sporting pretensions.
I'm actually kinda thinking about it...

Then again, that new Tiger is sexy as hell...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Case in point:

Stay on your HD, dude.
I've been riding for 35 + years I'm 48. Three years ago my boss in his mid 50's just got into riding and bought a full dresser. Shortly after that standing next to his bike in chaps he said, " When are you going to sell that Triumph & buy a Harley then you can be one of the crowd !" --- I almost threw up.
One of the crowd...:laughhard
The biggest herd of black sheep ever seen. (remember that ad?)
He has an impresive collection of patches & pins, considering he's only been at it 3 years.;) Ebay?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts