Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out why my bike is stumbling......www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=64179&forum=19

I went to take my tank off and discovered that the breather tube with PCV MAY not have been attached. It is attached at the cannister, but I really dont think the other end was attached to anything.

There are 2 nipples on the tank. One is hooked up, and the inner one had nothing on it. It appears as though the PCV should go there, but that doesn't make sense to me.

I REALLY need a assembly manual picture of the tank..

Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Both those lines are vent lines- one for the tank and one for the fuel overflow. The bike will run fine with both removed and many have done so. The problem comes when they get reversed. There is a one way valve on one, and when it gets on the wrong nipple it causes tank vacuum. This can cause all sorts of hassle.

Neither of these lines goes the the PCV valve, so don't worry.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, called a dealer and he explained that it is actually a check valve, and yes it does hook to the tank.

It will also NOT make the bike stumble if disconnected.

I pulled the plugs and they were toast. Guy probably just started the bike and let it idle a few minutes at a time for the last year or so.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you ever get a vacuum developing in the tank (and that will make the bike stumble a little) then just pop the valve off the bottom of the breather tube and give it a good shake or flush with solvent to get the valve free again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts