Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying a Thruxton R and was thinking of fitting a D-Cat. I just want to remove any restrictions to exhaust flow, a better sound and maybe add a few HP. Is this feasible or would i have to add other mods, Which i dont mind doing. I read that it could run lean after a d-cat install. Is there a way to rectify this problem? Is there a preferential make of D-Cat that people would recommend?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm in the process of buying a Thruxton R and was thinking of fitting a D-Cat. I just want to remove any restrictions to exhaust flow, a better sound and maybe add a few HP. Is this feasible or would i have to add other mods, Which i dont mind doing. I read that it could run lean after a d-cat install. Is there a way to rectify this problem? Is there a preferential make of D-Cat that people would recommend?

Thanks for any advice.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://www.triumphrat.net/showthread.php?t=798745&share_tid=798745&share_fid=91405&share_type=t

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, I just bought a Thruxton R and I've been researching it, in that thread I just posted above has a ton of information.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It’s a great mod to do. Read through that thread. Just curious, how is d-cat easier to type than decat?

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Loads of info with dyno results back up say MEERKAT . Personally I have TEC decat fitted , gave a noticeable kick up the backside dyno and lets more noise out .

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I'm looking at the motor x-pipe the ad says, "MOTONE PERFORMANCE XPIPE - THE ONLY XPIPE FULLY DEEP DRAWN - INTERNALS GROUND DOWN FOR MAX AIRFLOW"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motone-X-Pipe-Cat-Delete-Exhaust-System-Triumph-Bonneville-Twin-900-1200-xpipe-/113808602452

I am in NZ so the motone you refer to would cost me $400.00 including shipping plus a further 15% Tax. I ordered the Meerkat - the only one i have seen with dyno results and testing. It cost me only $320.00 including shipping. On my previous bike (Street Twin) I used a tech bike parts x pipe with good results on Bum dyno.

·
Registered
819 Posts
You will find many opinions. Those down under praise mercat or whatever cause its made there. i have British customs x pipe, install, quality was fine. Fitted 2 years ago. There are a few other brands, so don't be drawn in my amazing claims, all really do the same, your choice and all close in price.
Worth the trouble, definitely, increase in power, marginal, sound better, oh yea, headers cooler, yes, silencers can be touched without burning finger just after ride, yup, nice pops letting off gas, yup, need to do any messing around with ecu/ tuning, nope. Add a nice aftermarket silencer,yes, remove airbox snorkel, yes. Overall satisfaction, big YES.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You will find many opinions. Those down under praise mercat or whatever cause its made there. i have British customs x pipe, install, quality was fine. Fitted 2 years ago. There are a few other brands, so don't be drawn in my amazing claims, all really do the same, your choice and all close in price.
Worth the trouble, definitely, increase in power, marginal, sound better, oh yea, headers cooler, yes, silencers can be touched without burning finger just after ride, yup, nice pops letting off gas, yup, need to do any messing around with ecu/ tuning, nope. Add a nice aftermarket silencer,yes, remove airbox snorkel, yes. Overall satisfaction, big YES.

Phil I understand some of your skepticism about Meerkat coming from the boys from Oz.

However my experience is that the Meerkat x pipe is everything they said and more. I pulled a Free Spirit off and put a Meerkat on months ago. I tested both on the dyno and drag strip and the Meerkat made a measurable difference in both places.

I've said this before and it bears saying again, the service, price, quality and performance from Meerkat is tough to beat.

I do race my bike as well as ride it on the street and appreciate the sound and performance of the Meerkat x pipe.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I’m in US and got the meerkat. All the data you need is in that thread. Peter was tops to deal with and rather funny throughout the transaction as well :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is it worth removing the cat? Hell yeah. Better sound and performance. If you have the money spend, forget about an X-pipe and just get straight headers. I have the arrow headers and the sound is insane, and the bike has a bit more power. No issues with the ECU or running lean. The ECU adapts.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Is it worth removing the cat? Hell yeah. Better sound and performance. If you have the money spend, forget about an X-pipe and just get straight headers. I have the arrow headers and the sound is insane, and the bike has a bit more power. No issues with the ECU or running lean. The ECU adapts.
If you don't mind I have a counter point.

For me the x pipe is what I would start with along with removing the snorkel. The CAT weighs a ton and produces furnace like heat. The Meerkat x pipe improved the sound and performance on my bike a ton even with my Vance & Hines already on, and I feel less heat.

Granted most people will do both but I wish I would have started with the x pipe, for me the exhaust system by itself wasn't all I was looking for.

Your point about the money is valid but a good x pipe is a pretty good upgrade too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just be aware that if you decat the bike, you will reek of exhaust and breath that in at every stop light. The difference riding my Thruxton and Harley (both no cats) vs. my catted motorcycle is profound. I can't even ride a decatted bike to work, it's almost like I stood in a plum of cigarette smoke (except the smell of no-cat exhaust fumes).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just be aware that if you decat the bike, you will reek of exhaust and breath that in at every stop light. The difference riding my Thruxton and Harley (both no cats) vs. my catted motorcycle is profound. I can't even ride a decatted bike to work, it's almost like I stood in a plum of cigarette smoke (except the smell of no-cat exhaust fumes).
I don't have that problem and I run straight headers. It's loud as f--k, and I might slowly be going deaf, but I don't inhale any exhaust or smell like it.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Is it worth removing the cat? Hell yeah. Better sound and performance. If you have the money spend, forget about an X-pipe and just get straight headers. I have the arrow headers and the sound is insane, and the bike has a bit more power. No issues with the ECU or running

For me the x pipe is what I would start with along with removing the snorkel. The CAT weighs a ton and produces furnace like heat. The Meerkat x pipe improved the sound and performance on my bike a ton even with my Vance & Hines already on, and I feel less heat.

Granted most people will do both but I wish I would have started with the x pipe, for me the exhaust system by itself wasn't all I was looking for.

Your point about the money is valid but a good x pipe is a pretty good upgrade too.
Ok I have just fitted Meerkat xpipe. It is coupled with no name aftermarket shorties (no baffles) sound under acceleration best described as a SNARL!!!!!!!!!. ENGINE spools up more quickly. All in all very pleased with this modification. Btw it is desnorked as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts