Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Is a 2004 955 a T3 motor

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  kredge 
#1 ·
There is a 2004 salvage Sprint up for auction on ebay. I am thinking of buying it for parts. I am planning on building a cafe racer using an 01 TBS as the base. The question is the 955 motor. Is it still a T3 motor with a lot of common parts to the older 855s or was it a completely different engine?

#2 ·
I would say that the only thing in common might be the that they are both a triple. I dont know for sure though.

When I think about it pretty much everything would be different because of the the addition of FI (different heads, different ignition etc) different manifolds and then you have the cc difference which could be part bore and part stroke so you would have a different block, pistons and crank.

I think your idea has merrit though. That would be a real interesting project and man would that thing move!

#3 ·
Speaking as someone who has destroyed both 885 & 955 motors, I can state with a fair amount of certainty here... :p

There is essentially nothing in common between T3-series motors & a G2 955 like the '04 Sprint.

If you're using a TBS as the base, find a green- or red-cam 885 motor, or even a 1200 four if you're willing to give up the triple character. The newer motors won't fit without about a good used bike's worth of parts & a whole lot of labor.

Cheers,
-Kit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.