Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I know you're all tired of being the litmus test for hesitant purchasers so I apologize in advance. I have a standing offer to purchase a near-mint 2004 Thruxton from the local Triumph dealer. The bike was purchased and owned in San Diego before being purchased and brought over the border to Canada in 2010. It has had 2 owners and has accrued around 3,900 miles. As for ad-ons, it has British Customs exhaust and flyscreen as accessories. The dealership has given it a full service and inspection. $7k is the price (+ tax) so out the door for about $7400. Thoughts? And Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i paid $6700 for an '05 with 7500km's, one owner in great condition.......in Australia... where we usually get ripped off for everything.

keep looking you should be able to do better in the US.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I paid 8500 OTD (not including the sales tax/plates) for my '12 last June

is it worth it to give up the new warranty for a grand?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Notwithstanding the 2004 Thruxton is the year to get - carbs, special black paint, made in England etc, it does sound a little overpriced but it all depends on the condition, mileage, mods. I paid $5500 for my 04 Thrux back in 2008 with some good mods.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey Husky - I'm not sure where you are in Canada, but that sound's a bit high. I only paid a little more for my '09 here in Ontario (with extras such as Arrow, flyscreen, extra clip-on set, etc.) and mine is a local bike. While not a big deal to many, fact is, a US bike will have a lower re-sale due not just to the mph speedo but also the lack of verifiable history. I'd agree with saschagast's valuation - around $4,000 to $4,500 would be a fair price for that bike (I'd have said up to $5K if it was a one or two owner local bike with known history).

Before I found my Thruxton, I also considered a mint, one owner, 2004 T100 Bonnie that the owner was asking $4,500 for and I could have bought for closer to $4K.

My advice would be to bide your time - there will be bikes coming up for sale as the Winter sets in. When you see one you like, make an offer. You could also pop back to that dealer in January with $4K in your hand - the bike will probably still be there and you might be surprised at what they say when they see your cash :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Paid $5900 for my '06 in 2008. It had 2,900 miles on it with TORs and the Triumph flyscreen. The problem with these bike is, they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for one. The popularity of these bikes has been steadily increasing, so the prices are inflated.

Maybe they will cool down in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Agree with the other responses - overpriced. Too bad you're not in VA, the shop I get my work done at just took in a 2009 Thruxton in black with 3500 miles and zard exhaust. It's a bit dusty from sitting in the owner's parents garage, but otherwise in perfect condition. $7100.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Well, I can't say I'd sell my '04 for that much...so I guess I value it more than that. :)

Unless it is tricked out to the nines with EXACTLY the stuff you want on it, it's way too dear. Anything more than about $5,000 is too much for a well kept Thruxton that is turning 9 years old...

Regards,

--Rich

·
Registered
308 Posts
I bought my 2009 Thruxton with 590 miles on it for $6,999. Steal of a deal. no problems except it has the original tires and oil changed only 2 times but it is fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Husky - I'm not sure where you are in Canada, but that sound's a bit high. I only paid a little more for my '09 here in Ontario (with extras such as Arrow, flyscreen, extra clip-on set, etc.) and mine is a local bike. While not a big deal to many, fact is, a US bike will have a lower re-sale due not just to the mph speedo but also the lack of verifiable history. I'd agree with saschagast's valuation - around $4,000 to $4,500 would be a fair price for that bike (I'd have said up to $5K if it was a one or two owner local bike with known history).

Before I found my Thruxton, I also considered a mint, one owner, 2004 T100 Bonnie that the owner was asking $4,500 for and I could have bought for closer to $4K.

My advice would be to bide your time - there will be bikes coming up for sale as the Winter sets in. When you see one you like, make an offer. You could also pop back to that dealer in January with $4K in your hand - the bike will probably still be there and you might be surprised at what they say when they see your cash :)
I think this is sound advice since the prices for bikes usually vary by location and season. Me, I wish I could have paid the prices everyone is talking about on here. In Japan, the local markup and USD to Yen conversion just about made it insane to buy a Triumph...but I did it anyway. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not often I add in, but.....

The Canadian market is strange. These bikes are quite a rarity, and command a premium in the market. Especially the carb bikes as you don't need a dealer to program them.

That bike in AB, SK or MB would sell for $6500. No issue, bone stock. Condition seems to dictate vale, next seems to be km, year is not as important.

I would do the math as this:
Bike $7000
Exhaust - $750 (ordered, landed to you from British customs). Well worth the money.
Fly screen - $300
Oil service - $100
Likely has a ark, ai kit and a tune if the exhaust is done so - $500
All these mods are worth it and you likely would do them anyway. Even to a new one.

Basically then the bike is then $5350. And if it has other mods less than that.

And at $5350 that is a great buy for a stock bike......these guys may flame this response but they don't know the western Canadian market. I have bought 10 of these bikes Bonnie's/thrux's/rockets over the past 8 years so I know the market a bit...

Offer them $6200. It's end of season, I'm sure they will deal. Or ask them to give you a $500 riding gear credit and your first oil change free. That would be close enough.

Good luck,

Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
No way... Can't stand it when people try and sell their bikes for 2 and 3k over book... Eventually people will understand that aftermarket trash is never worth what you paid for it when you go to sell it. And low mileage only goes so far...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey Bill,

I get what you're saying and the Canadian market is definitely different and, I acknowledge that the Western Canadian market will be different from that here where I am in Ontario.

That said, I stand by what I said. It is a US bike after all - no real difference except that resale value is decreased due to unknown history, etc. Also, as the OP points out, the dealer bought it in the US, so presumably paid US wholesale, so he has plenty of margin. If the OP really likes the bike, wait 'till its 30 below and 3 feet of snow outside then go see the dealer with cash in hand.

I also think that while the extras are worth something, I have to agree with BABDBAT that they should not be valued at full price.

And to the OP - it's really no big deal importing a US bike into Canada as long as it's on the admissibility list. If you are willing to put a bit of legwork in, you could save a quite a bit. Just a thought.....

·
Registered
556 Posts
No matter what anyone tells you, importing into or out of Canada is a pain in the arse.
Not true Shane. As long as you pick a vehicle that does not need any real modification to meet Canadian requirements (which is the case with most motorcycles) a US bike can be imported into Canada relatively easily and inexpensively. My next door neighbour imports high-end cars from the US regularly and my colleague bought his car from the US, so I have a little insight on this.

I have heard that going the other way (Canada to US) is a little more difficult, but have no experience of that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts