Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Saddlebag,

many thanks. 100% of people have said the same thing. I love my T120 but in the past had always purchased lower mileage bikes. However no one has said for this sort of bike the miles are too high. I have a full service history and one previous owner. The Triumph dealer local to me supplied the bike originally and when he took the bike in from the previous owner he said when test riding it that it rode sweetly. I agree. I do about 5,000 miles a year so I can be reassured.

The valve checks were probably done on the 19,000 mile service, the garage that did it will probably be able to supply details.

I am pleased with reliability of my old air cooled Bonneville's I had a 790cc Bonnie back in 2006 and then a 900cc Scrmbler Bonnie in 2008; both were immaculate and both sold very easily.

The T120 is a massive step forward as other owners will know. Lovely bike and the looks are super. If my bike were a woman it would be a super model ;)

Dave
I have a 2016 Thruxton. It has about 30k on it. Runs perfect. Aside from tire changes, it only needs to see a shop every 20k miles. I change the oil every 5k miles and lube the chain now and then. They are fantastic bikes and super maintenance friendly. You'll love it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes everyone says the same and I think I love this bike; it'll do me good to keep it lovely and clean as it is now. It looks like a bike with 2,000 miles on it. so it's been loved Yes the Thruxton is a similar beast. My dealer has said I should have no worries and I am inclined to believe him and all the good people on this site who own Triumphs.

Dave

·
Registered
224 Posts
Barely broken in for a well designed powertrain. With proper maintenance procedures and intervals and plenty of riding you should enjoy it for many many years.
My wife and I do long distance rides on Honda Valkyries. Lots of those are well into the 200,000 plus mile bracket now and plenty more to go. Again, a well designed powertrain.
Plaster an ear to ear grin on that face of yours for scoring a great looking and performing bike, lose the worries, and go ride!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Barely broken in for a well designed powertrain. With proper maintenance procedures and intervals and plenty of riding you should enjoy it for many many years.
My wife and I do long distance rides on Honda Valkyries. Lots of those are well into the 200,000 plus mile bracket now and plenty more to go. Again, a well designed powertrain.
Plaster an ear to ear grin on that face of yours for scoring a great looking and performing bike, lose the worries, and go ride!
Pappy,

your comment has sealed it , she's a keeper!

I previously had a Kawasaki W 800 and I did like it, but now with the T120 I had two hurdles to jump. One the mileage which I have now accepted. 24,000 is fine.

Psychologically, I had never had a bike over 900 ccc so the T120 is 1200cc , but amazingly I can get over 70 mpg out of it (imperial gallon measurement) so even with a 1200 cc 'beast' it is relatively light and economical too. Result!

Honda Valkyrie is an amazing looking bike, never ridden one but I remember sitting on one at a bike show. What a stunning looking animal. Great high mileages too. Hope you wife likes her new surprise of a T120.

Safe riding.

Dave

·
Registered
144 Posts
I ran into some serious issues on my Water cooled 2018 T120 in the first 20K miles. Bike is now at 45K miles and it's been running well enough since the Transmission was replaced and the case was split and put back together since... I brought it in for service for I smelled coolant, apparently the reservoir was over full and burning on the exhuast... They did full leak down on the cylinder and compression check with a coolant system pressure check. All came out great! As stated since 20K miles the bike just runs and I have done a few 1000 mile days with mine. I love my 2018 T120 and intend to run this one well over the 100K mile mark.
Best,
-Jedz

·
Registered
224 Posts
Pappy,

your comment has sealed it , she's a keeper!

I previously had a Kawasaki W 800 and I did like it, but now with the T120 I had two hurdles to jump. One the mileage which I have now accepted. 24,000 is fine.

Psychologically, I had never had a bike over 900 ccc so the T120 is 1200cc , but amazingly I can get over 70 mpg out of it (imperial gallon measurement) so even with a 1200 cc 'beast' it is relatively light and economical too. Result!

Honda Valkyrie is an amazing looking bike, never ridden one but I remember sitting on one at a bike show. What a stunning looking animal. Great high mileages too. Hope you wife likes her new surprise of a T120.

Safe riding.

Dave
Casper, I am a member of a Valkyrie group as well.
The 200,000 mile mark is pretty normal. A friend of mine up in Ocala Florida is closing in on 700,00 miles on his. He is single, retired and rides the US pretty much full time now. Rarely comes home. Normal maintenance, one cylinder head had to be pulled, and various driveline components replaced as needed. Only time the bike has left him on the road was in Canada several years ago when a U-joint let go on the output shaft of the trans.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The 200,000 mile mark is pretty normal. A friend of mine up in Ocala Florida is closing in on 700,00 miles on his. He is single, retired and rides the US pretty much full time now. Rarely comes home. Normal maintenance, one cylinder head had to be pulled, and various driveline components replaced as needed. Only time the bike has left him on the road was in Canada several years ago when a U-joint let go on the output shaft of the trans.
Pappy,

well done to you. I normally ride about 5,000 miles per year on my bike. Here in the UK I ride in better weather these days. I have ridden through winters here and had a Suzuki V Strom with hand guards and heated grips.

Those mileages are truly amazing; makes you realise how much motorcycle engineering has improved.

I loved my Kawasaki W 800 and the Japs do make a good motorcycle. I admire their engineering skills. But Triumph always has a special place in my heart. I love the new Triumphs and the old classic ones too.

200,000 miles on a Valkyrie - wow that is AMAZING.

Enjoy

Dave

·
Registered
205 Posts
Fascinating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I just took my 2017 T120 in for it's 20,000 mile check the dealer said it only had one valve barely out of specs I consistently run mine over 120 mph going and coming from work everyday nothing has broken yet and the dealer commented whatever I'm doing as far as riding to keep doing it. View attachment 715427
It looks amazing and some nice mods too. Yes 20 or 30 thousand miles what the heck !

I must admit, I love my one. I need to get some saddle bag bars and get some bags as I do use it for commuting. I must say I keep it clean and your one is stunning! Have you taken the x pipe off for a free flow experience? I notice you have after market mufflers?

Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
It looks amazing and some nice mods too. Yes 20 or 30 thousand miles what the heck !

I must admit, I love my one. I need to get some saddle bag bars and get some bags as I do use it for commuting. I must say I keep it clean and your one is stunning! Have you taken the x pipe off for a free flow experience? I notice you have after market mufflers?

Dave
Hi Dave,

Yes it has a TEC Xpipe and a few other mods it's my daily driver and I love it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You should read (watch on you Tube actually) the 45,000 mile review of a T120 by Jez Moto,
It's a 2018 and he's had his T120 for 18 months and 45 ,000 miles - he sure likes to ride.

A 1200 cc water cooled modern engine should be good for many miles. I have to say mine has not given me a minutes concern, that said I have had it for only 7 months now.

Do I regret it? No not at all; it is everything I could wish for. I can get 200 miles from a tank of gas and she rides beautifully; I will maintain for people like me coming from a bike like my previous one a Kawasaki W 800 which pushed out 48 bhp, the T120 is quite a beast and my recommendation is that it is a bike for more experienced riders. 80 bhp may not be much but with the torque it can spit off the unwary on the damp and leaf sodden roads here in the UK.

The rider in the You Tube is from Vermont and the winters can be harsh it seems. At least when he puts the bike away for the winter he'll stop racking up the miles for a bit!:rolleyes:

No one has said the T120 will give me reliability problems and having had 2 air cooled Triumphs they too were 100% reliable. Quality control seems up to Japanese standards.

Anyway safe riding all and a Happy Christmas K12be

Dave - West Sussex England

·
Registered
144 Posts
I get about 30-35K miles annually on all my bikes. Riding is a way of life for me. I may only ride 8 months a year but my car spends much more time on the battery tender than my bikes ever do! So I ride every day; rain, shine hot, freezing, (or even snow) from April to November. The four-month sabbatical is well welcomed. I use the time for the deep annual break down and maintenance (Swing arm, mounts, axles, wheel bearings, head bearings, brake fluid, etc). I'm guessing by this time next year the T120 will have over 70K miles ,(likely more for I am planning a 9K mile trip to California and back). This bike will be at 100K miles sooner vs later. I had some teething issues my first season but this year the bike was rock solid... Even with the first few break downs in the first season the Bonneville always got me home.

I don't just like riding. Riding a motorcycle is integral to the fabric of my being. I've ridden allot of Japanese bikes and thoroughly enjoyed them but this Bonneville is full of personality and it truly becomes an extension of myself. I don't like riding... I need to ride, can't imagine living life to the fullest without a motorcycle.

The Bonneville is awesome, the 1200cc WC motor is one of the most well rounded engines out there. Keeps you out of trouble but will get you far far away from your troubles in quick enough time. Proving to be a pretty reliable little bike. I do have my zoom splat, a well tuned Generation 1 FZ1 if I feel I need to reach 150mph... The calling is there, at times. As I get older the chants become more like whispers... But I still need to obey

Anyways, Happy Holidays all! Merry Christmas! Winter Solstice (or summer if your down under) or whatever. Just make it a great day!

Best,

-Jedz

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I get about 30-35K miles annually on all my bikes. Riding is a way of life for me. I may only ride 8 months a year but my car spends much more time on the battery tender than my bikes ever do! So I ride every day; rain, shine hot, freezing, (or even snow) from April to November. The four-month sabbatical is well welcomed. I use the time for the deep annual break down and maintenance (Swing arm, mounts, axles, wheel bearings, head bearings, brake fluid, etc). I'm guessing by this time next year the T120 will have over 70K miles ,(likely more for I am planning a 9K mile trip to California and back). This bike will be at 100K miles sooner vs later. I had some teething issues my first season but this year the bike was rock solid... Even with the first few break downs in the first season the Bonneville always got me home.

I don't just like riding. Riding a motorcycle is integral to the fabric of my being. I've ridden allot of Japanese bikes and thoroughly enjoyed them but this Bonneville is full of personality and it truly becomes an extension of myself. I don't like riding... I need to ride, can't imagine living life to the fullest without a motorcycle.

The Bonneville is awesome, the 1200cc WC motor is one of the most well rounded engines out there. Keeps you out of trouble but will get you far far away from your troubles in quick enough time. Proving to be a pretty reliable little bike. I do have my zoom splat, a well tuned Generation 1 FZ1 if I feel I need to reach 150mph... The calling is there, at times. As I get older the chants become more like whispers... But I still need to obey

Anyways, Happy Holidays all! Merry Christmas! Winter Solstice (or summer if your down under) or whatever. Just make it a great day!

Best,

-Jedz
Jedz

same to you Happy Christmas.

Interesting views on why you ride; I think the philosophical side is often not really well understood; the Bonneville is iconic and I like the old classics as well as the modern versions too.

I tend to get mental health from both a bicycle and also my Bonneville. I have a Kona hybrid cycle; had it for 10 years.

The first Bonneville I owned was the 2003 790cc version in Cardinal Red, it had the Norman Hyde mufflers - it was awesome; it had a certain something that Japanese bikes (good though they are) just can never possess. Yes my T120 IS made in Thailand but it's soul is English.

Dave

21 - 36 of 36 Posts