Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question and I'd appreciate your view on this. Bought a 2016 T120 in red and it's all stock. My main concern is that it has got a service history, one previous owner but 24,000 miles on it. It was bought from my local Triumph dealer and sold to me by them. It is in nice condition, a small windshield and a front mudguard have been added otherwise it's standard. Cosmetically 100%.

Now if I owned a car such mileage would be negligible. I bought it from my local Triumph dealer and I have owned it since May 2019.

Am I right to be concerned? My normal bikes only do 5,000 miles per year so I'd only have 15,000 miles on it had I owned it from new.

What do people think? Keep or get rid?

Dave

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you're happy with the bike and it's running well ignore the mileage, it's in that sweet spot now were all the early problems would have occurred and it's too early for any high mileage issues.
I'm guessing that the majority of miles on a T120 would be relatively gentle anyway, I can't see having much track use:D
Also it should have had all its major services done by now.
Looks a nice bike, not sure the extra Green triumph logo is needed on the side panels though.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're happy with the bike and it's running well ignore the mileage, it's in that sweet spot now were all the early problems would have occurred and it's too early for any high mileage issues.
I'm guessing that the majority of miles on a T120 would be relatively gentle anyway, I can't see having much track use:D
Also it should have had all its major services done by now.
Looks a nice bike, not sure the extra Green triumph logo is needed on the side panels though.

Thanks for that, cosmetically it's pristine, the previous owner must have had it in a garage. He'd had it down on the 'hero blobs' a little but it seems solid enough. It's partly because I tend to run my bikes at that 4 or 5 k per year level.

What did it for me back in May was 1. the price a good deal cheaper than a lower mileage one and 2. was that red tank I loved the looks. The green lettering was me mucking around, easy to remove if needed ! ;)

But thanks, and yes I do like the beast.

Dave

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
A question and I'd appreciate your view on this. Bought a 2016 T120 in red and it's all stock. My main concern is that it has got a service history, one previous owner but 24,000 miles on it. It was bought from my local Triumph dealer and sold to me by them. It is in nice condition, a small windshield and a front mudguard have been added otherwise it's standard. Cosmetically 100%.

Now if I owned a car such mileage would be negligible. I bought it from my local Triumph dealer and I have owned it since May 2019.

Am I right to be concerned? My normal bikes only do 5,000 miles per year so I'd only have 15,000 miles on it had I owned it from new.

What do people think? Keep or get rid?

Dave View attachment 714371 View attachment 714372
24k mile on it, its only just run in so can't see what your problem is, if you like it and it rides great then just ride it more, my old AC Thruxton has 40k on it and was trying to sell it but so many carried on with the high miles, it has ran perfect ever since I brought it new with no problems at all, people just make a big thing with mileage and I didn't get the reserve price with all the suspension work that had been done to it, so now my Daughter will get it, its best to have a bike that has been ridden than a bike that spends most of it life laid up, my new WC Thruxton will get even more miles clocked up on it and hopefully will be the last bike I ever buy.
So don't worry at all about the miles to me its very low miles and you will have many many more years of trouble free riding a head of you, now get on it and get out and enjoy it and don't be a fool thinking it has to many miles on it as it don't.

Ashley

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep. They are bullet proof and most motorcyclist I know do there own servicing any way

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Thanks, yes this seems to be the general view. I know a few local bikers and all of them have said the same thing. Cheers.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
24k mile on it, its only just run in so can't see what your problem is, if you like it and it rides great then just ride it more, my old AC Thruxton has 40k on it and was trying to sell it but so many carried on with the high miles, it has ran perfect ever since I brought it new with no problems at all, people just make a big thing with mileage and I didn't get the reserve price with all the suspension work that had been done to it, so now my Daughter will get it, its best to have a bike that has been ridden than a bike that spends most of it life laid up, my new WC Thruxton will get even more miles clocked up on it and hopefully will be the last bike I ever buy.
So don't worry at all about the miles to me its very low miles and you will have many many more years of trouble free riding a head of you, now get on it and get out and enjoy it and don't be a fool thinking it has to many miles on it as it don't.

Ashley
Ashley

cheers mate. I'm a Brit so live in a washing machine climate (very very wet all the time) right now. But thanks , you're right of course, 24 k is nothing and if it were a car it would indeed be considered a low mileage example. I do love the looks as I am a bit old school. I like a bike to look like a bike etc etc etc.

Safe riding down under.

Dave

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Keep. Bikes do better when they're ridden often and not parked for a prolonged time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good looking bike! If it’s only the miles you are concerned with, I would keep it.
A friend I met on the forum came out to my area in the Black Hills a year ago. I met up with him to go for a ride and he had 104,000 miles on the odometer!
It was a 2004 T100 and it ran like a new bike. He had owned the bike since new and had never had any motor work done. I know he is still riding it and likely has more than 110K on it. I think these bikes are absolutely bulletproof!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good looking bike! If it’s only the miles you are concerned with, I would keep it.
A friend I met on the forum came out to my area in the Black Hills a year ago. I met up with him to go for a ride and he had 104,000 miles on the odometer!
It was a 2004 T100 and it ran like a new bike. He had owned the bike since new and had never had any motor work done. I know he is still riding it and likely has more than 110K on it. I think these bikes are absolutely bulletproof!
Wow, that's a serious longer distance motorcyclist! The 1200 engine is quite good in that I get over 70 mpg and it has more than adequate power (for my needs) if needed.

The reason I bought the bike was due to it's looks; I love the flow, the lines and the color/colour of it.

I used to have two air cooled Hinckley Bonnies and they were very well made NO reliability issues at all. Thanks for your point of view.

Dave

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way the gates are Arundel castle West Sussex (photo taken in June of this year).. Summer seems a long way away now. The UK is like living in a washing machine rain rain rain :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
By the way the gates are Arundel castle West Sussex (photo taken in June of this year).. Summer seems a long way away now. The UK is like living in a washing machine rain rain rain :)
Bring the rain over our way we need it so badly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’d agree with all the contributors above: 24,000 miles is nothing to worry about for a bike like yours. My 2006 Suzuki SV650S has 135,000 miles and still runs really well, probably better than many bikes that been little used and done only 25,000 miles the past 13 years.

Enjoy your Triumph, it looks really smart.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’d agree with all the contributors above: 24,000 miles is nothing to worry about for a bike like yours. My 2006 Suzuki SV650S has 135,000 miles and still runs really well, probably better than many bikes that been little used and done only 25,000 miles the past 13 years.

Enjoy your Triumph, it looks really smart.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cheers Alan

yes I am picking up it's a keeper. I do like so much about it. It ticks a lot of boxes for me. Just looking forwards to spring now as I keep it shiny and it tends to get ridden in nicer weather only LOL.

Dave

·
Administrator
11,027 Posts
There a several air cooled Bonnies with over 100k miles on them around here. I'd assume a water-cooled bike would have an even longer life expectancy, given it's plush temperature-controlled life it is coddled with :)

I like the look of that bike a lot Casper.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There a several air cooled Bonnies with over 100k miles on them around here. I'd assume a water-cooled bike would have an even longer life expectancy, given it's plush temperature-controlled life it is coddled with :)

I like the look of that bike a lot Casper.
BonnieBlack

I think the answer is 100% keeper.:rolleyes:

You're right, I suppose it says the state of UK motorcycling when only 4 or 5 k a year is average? To be fair many are fair weather bikers, I have just been out for about a 10 mile bimble to keep the oil circulating type ride. Roads were fairly dry and temperature up to 10 degrees C. Here on the South Coast of England.

Yes I suppose as you say all water cooled so a long life I hope and engine sounds , I must admit, sweet, even in stock OE form.

The looks? Well, I loved my 2003 790cc Bonneville (in Cardinal red) but this design is superb. The Triumph designers must have taken on board everyone's comments - it is stunning. Most car drives think it's a 1959 model Bonnie LOL. I do like it's looks.

Yes the previous owner not only rode it he clearly looked after it, it was it seems garaged and I have fiddled and polished it to an inch of its life. :)

I feel the 1200 cc is a bigger beast but equally it has it's advantages over the T100.

Safe riding all,

Dave

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
A question and I'd appreciate your view on this. Bought a 2016 T120 in red and it's all stock. My main concern is that it has got a service history, one previous owner but 24,000 miles on it.
That's nothing. If you only put 5k a yr on a bike, it will outlive you.
The only thing would be to see if the previous owner had the valves checked as they are due at 20k miles. If not, that's a point of negotiation as that costs a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's nothing. If you only put 5k a yr on a bike, it will outlive you.
The only thing would be to see if the previous owner had the valves checked as they are due at 20k miles. If not, that's a point of negotiation as that costs a few hundred bucks.
Saddlebag,

many thanks. 100% of people have said the same thing. I love my T120 but in the past had always purchased lower mileage bikes. However no one has said for this sort of bike the miles are too high. I have a full service history and one previous owner. The Triumph dealer local to me supplied the bike originally and when he took the bike in from the previous owner he said when test riding it that it rode sweetly. I agree. I do about 5,000 miles a year so I can be reassured.

The valve checks were probably done on the 19,000 mile service, the garage that did it will probably be able to supply details.

I am pleased with reliability of my old air cooled Bonneville's I had a 790cc Bonnie back in 2006 and then a 900cc Scrmbler Bonnie in 2008; both were immaculate and both sold very easily.

The T120 is a massive step forward as other owners will know. Lovely bike and the looks are super. If my bike were a woman it would be a super model ;)

Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts