Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I just did the 1000 mile SaddleSore Iron Butt challenge this past weekend, and I have a couple of recommendations for anyone else attempting it.

1. Plan ahead
2. Try to get out of the gate as early in the morning when there is daylight as you can.
3. Dress for the weather
4. Don't do it in December!

Yes, I did it in the beginning of December... granted, it was from Florida to Louisiana and back, so it was still somewhat warm down here, but even so, in the evening hours I am pretty sure it got down to about 40F without windchill, and I froze my butt off!

The only times I was off the road was to get gas, to warm my body at rest stop hand air dryers (no really... they work great when you are freezing!), and one time because my eyes teared up so much that I had to pull over and clear them... I couldn't see!

Oddly enough, the sorest part of me was not my butt... it was actually my neck from keeping my head in position against the wind for sixteen hours straight.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thanks for the good advice...
I've been planning my IB Saddle Sore route (Miami>Tallahassee>Miami) for awhile now, but can't seem to get into the starting gate! The bike's ready and willing, but it seems like I'd be put off riding after a loong trip like that... is that how it was for you? Was it the adventure that you thought it would be?
Maybe I'll try for the spring of 2012 and earn my place among the IB's of the world. :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Beast! I whined about riding through the cold (cold as in about the same not so cold temps you're talking about) for a 2 hour trip once, so there's no way I could do something like that. I remember stopping at a gas station, turning around on my seat, and giving the exhaust pipe a big bear hug for a while.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Congratulations-
What seat did you have on? Stock, Long Haul, Custom, Corbin?
Did you have a windscreen
How did the bike perform?
Many speeding ticket on I 10?

We have to hook up in Gainesville one day when I'm up there-we also have an S50.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations-
What seat did you have on? Stock, Long Haul, Custom, Corbin?
Did you have a windscreen
How did the bike perform?
Many speeding ticket on I 10?

We have to hook up in Gainesville one day when I'm up there-we also have an S50.
I have the long haul seat with backrest, though the backrest does not exactly get used that much the way I sit on the bike. I use the passenger foot rests at high speeds because it is more comfortable, and that pushes my body forward and away from the backrest.

No windscreen... I use a full-face helmet.

Bike performed just fine. I have new tires front and rear (Avons) and I just did the 24k maintenance as well, so it was good to go. The one thing about the Avons is that the rear is a 200/55 instead of the stock 200/50, so that means I have an extra 2cm of diameter on the wheel. As such, all of my speedometer readings are a bit low. I was indicating anywhere from 75-85 mph most of the time, which means I was probably 5-8 mph higher than that. GPS showed me going 94 at one point.

No speeding tickets on I-10. I think the cops were just too surprised to see some idiot on a motorcycle to bother taking my speed down. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beast! I whined about riding through the cold (cold as in about the same not so cold temps you're talking about) for a 2 hour trip once, so there's no way I could do something like that. I remember stopping at a gas station, turning around on my seat, and giving the exhaust pipe a big bear hug for a while.
I was stopping at rest stops on the way back to walk into the bathrooms and turn on the hand dryers to warm myself back up! I stopped at a Denny's at 2am to eat something, and sat at the counter for five minutes shaking from the cold (not shivering... SHAKING)

I was so glad when I turned the corner at Lake City and the air started warming up perceptibly. I don't know if the temperatures were actually warming as I made my way south, or if it was just psychosomatic because I knew I was in my last 45 minutes of the ride, but it was a very nice thing to have happen.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the good advice...
I've been planning my IB Saddle Sore route (Miami>Tallahassee>Miami) for awhile now, but can't seem to get into the starting gate! The bike's ready and willing, but it seems like I'd be put off riding after a loong trip like that... is that how it was for you? Was it the adventure that you thought it would be?
Maybe I'll try for the spring of 2012 and earn my place among the IB's of the world. :cool:
OK... truly... that route is probably not that bad... and if the weather holds out right now, you could probably do it tomorrow. I hear at the end of the week a cold front is coming through, at which point I would not recommend it.

It was definitely an adventure... not something I am really willing to do again, at least not for that particular award. Perhaps some other award, like the coast to coast or something like that.

As for being put of riding... not a chance. I got home at 4am, took a long shower, then went to bed for three hours. Woke up, did my check-in for the finish of the run, and met up with a group of riders and went off for another 250 miles or so down to Ozello Trail and back...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice - shoulda went for the "Bun-Burner" 1500 at that point! :cool:
I thought about doing that, but figured that the first award was enough... I wasn't planning on doing the 1500 in the first place, and thought it was a better idea not to do something that wasn't planned. In addition, I didn't have the waypoints setup in my mind for an extra 500 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts