Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone a member of the Iron butt association? I think it'd be cool to do but curious how difficult it actually is.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Yep.

Difficulty is subjective. Most start out with 1000 mile rides and work up from that.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I never turned in my paperwork, but I did the SS1k twice. It sort of alternates between hard, easy, and surreal depending on which stage you're in.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have an SS1K under my belt and, could have had a BBG easily had I not run out of real estate. A problem when your 1K destination is S. Florida. I had to abort an attempted 50cc ride a couple of years back due to not having brought my heat troller for my Gerbings liner. Temps in the 20's and no other insulation.

Long distance riding is pretty much my thing. I think nothing of planning a couple or three 600 mile days in a row to get to a work site. I did 2500 miles in 2.5 days to get to Cody, WY from Florida just to have dinner and drinks with 60 or so close friends. That on a BMW 1100S. Turned around and made it home in 3 more days.

The really long and tough rides are out of my scope now. I'm getting a little long in the tooth for that kind of stuff. That said, that aborted 50cc is still pissing me off. I still need one or two additional mods to my '08 ST to make it good for that kind of trip, the seat and peg position being the principle drawbacks, although an extra couple of gallons of fuel capacity would help.

I'm on the road right now and will have to get from Detroit to Palm Beach, FL this weekend. A bit of a push in 2 days. With luck, I'll be able to leave Friday instead of Saturday morning. I plan to contact Sargent Seats to get them to rework my stock seat with their magic foam and reshape it a bit. I don't understand why they haven't upgraded to the newer Sprint seat but they stop in '04 for theirs.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
... the seat and peg position being the principle drawbacks.......... I plan to contact Sargent Seats to get them to rework my stock seat with their magic foam and reshape it a bit.
I have a Russel Day-Long on my Beemer. I hope to have one built for the Sprinty next winter. Actually a sheep skin on the stock Sprint seat ain't half bad for now.

I have lowered my foot pegs..........man, what a difference!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Shovel,
Where abouts in detroit are you staying?
My home town

·
Registered
509 Posts
Warden,
I hate those bucket shaped seats. They restrict my movement too much. To me, the stock seat is the perfect shape, just needs much better quality foam to avoid the packing down. I do have a sheepskin over top and that takes it from 200 miles to 500 before discomfort sets in. I may just try the gel seat with a sheepskin pad.

BTW, I really don't find the pegs too high so much as awkwardly placed both fore and aft and too far in. Rearward about 1.5" and down about 1/2" would be better as would actually having them stick out a bit further. I like riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs and not having to point my toes inward to keep more than half my boot on the peg. Might be just my old bones talking. I'm off to the Gilles Tooling and Woodcraft sites.

Red,
Actually in Ann Arbor working at U of Michigan. Nice town, lots of places for eating and drinking, my two passions after riding an photography.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I hate those bucket shaped seats.

BTW, I really don't find the pegs too high so much as awkwardly placed both fore and aft and too far in. Rearward about 1.5" and down about 1/2" would be better as would actually having them stick out a bit further.

Shovel,

I totally disagree with you on the Russell seat. It really isn't a "bucket." Many famous long distance folks will only own a Russell. Have you ever done any time in a Russell?

Oh, and look below for the perfect pegs, just like you described.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Nice pegs, Warden. They look to be adjustable by swinging round that mounting bolt, nicht var? I would be willing to give them a try. Got a link to a website?

My only experience with a Russell was riding a friends BMW 1150 RT and that seat was bucketish to me. At the risk of ridicule, I have a really narrow butt and the slender seat on the 1050 is a big plus for me. Anything wider, particularly in the upper thigh/crotch area would be a no-no for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with OnD...difficulty is subjective. I did a SS1000 on my HD Geezer Glide. Only trouble I had was my debit card wouldn't work at the half way gas stop. I would suggest taking some cash...:D I plan on doing one on the ST, but this time I'll head west in the morning and then turn east in the evening. Last time I did it the other way around and I was facing the sun almost all day.

Kyle.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Getting back to the original question, who else has put the Sprint in the IB record book by officially completing any sanctioned event? Surely there are more?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm taking off the week after the 4th, may do the 1000 ride. Do I need to have anything filled out or sign up for anything before I go? I read the rules and kinda confused on that part.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts