Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried finding NGK iridium listing for the 1050 Sprint with no luck. Anyone know if there is an iridium plug with correct size/heat range for our bikes?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Wills,

Use ND. Smaller center electrode lowers flashover for a given gap.

Denso IU27A is same heat range as original CR9EK.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Let me know if they make a difference. I was talked into Iridium plugs at the last service on my old 955 and I couldn't see any noticable change.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks CLB.
I use Iridiums in my cars and other bikes, they run smoother for sure, no dyno pulls to support power gains, if any.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The NGK Iridium plugs which replace the CR9EK are the CR9EIX.

I didn't like the ND's myself. They didn't convince me that having the electrode that small in diameter was of any real benefit and I wanted the iridium plugs for their lower voltage requirements for starting and service life. I didn't think the service life would be as good with such a small electrode. Their price was pretty outrageous for them as well. The NGK's can be had for LESS than the stock replacements if you get them online! The ND's seem more suited to a 'Race Bike' than something I drive daily. IMHO

CR9EIX Plugs

Did a check on the ND plugs. The suggested list is around $28.00 EA which is why I probably took them off my wish list, but you can actually find them for an average price of around $12.00. So not really as bad as when I was looking for a replacement.

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2006-11-27 02:24 ]

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like Stlakid is right, I will try a set. Here is a reply from NGK:

Hello,

The CR9EK plug is a dual ground electrode design. The Iridium IX plug
that will most closely match this plug is a single ground electrode plug
CR9EIX stock no. 3521. Thank you.

Kristopher Zdral
Technical Support Representative
NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), INC.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed the Iridiums and do notice a smoother idle and the throttle seems a little more responsive. The plugs replaced were the CR9EK and only had 7000 miles on them with no fouling or signs of bad conditions. So I would recommend them, as I have used them on all of my vehicles with similar results.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
FWIW, awhile back I had the run of a friends auto parts store and doing some tuning at the time I spent a day checking spark plugs. NGK's had the lowest and most consistent resistance of anything in the store. I've used them with good success since.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts