Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i looked all over the place and found that according to Triumph, the proper iridium plugs for the 2002 Triumph Sprint ST 955i was the DPR8EIX 9. but after spending the money on them, getting them shipped, they turned out to be the wrong ones. I cannot find anywhere how to get the proper NGK Iridium plugs because everything points back to this wrong number. I reverted back to the regular NGK plug.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Mine are Unobtanium. Only found on passing asteroids. Created by Nymphs.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
What plug number should they be if not DPR8EIX 9?

Who is it that says these are incorrect?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
If it's any consolation, iridium plugs cost more but do absolutely nothing for performance on these bikes. Some people have actually reported performance issues that may have been caused by iridium plugs.

Don't sweat it, the stock plugs work fine.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
I certainly agree that Iridiums will give no performance benefits, but they do last longer and that in itself may out weigh the initial cost.

30k miles, checked regularly and doing fine in my TBS.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just bought dpr8eix-9 for my 01 rs. have not put them in yet. so you are telling me these will not work? I will have to prove they are wrong before they will let me return them. how do you know they are wrong? I wish I would have went with my gut feeling and bought the standard one's.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The motor changed between 2001 and 2002 model years; they don't use the same plugs.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
466 Posts
The DPR8EIX-9 are for a 12mm plug threads... for the Rocket III.

The 955 and 1050 engines use 10mm plugs. The correct NGK iridium part number is CR9EIX. This is a very common plug, and most dealers have them in stock.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Again, 955 engines do not all use the same plug.

1999-2001 955s, as well as the carbureted 750/900/1000/1200 models, use NGK DPR8EA-9 plugs. The iridium equivalent for these is DPR8EIX-9.

2002-2004 955s, as well as the 1050s, use NGK CR9EK plugs. The iridium equivalent for these is CR9EIX.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Kit is correct about which plug to use for your 955. It depends on whether you have the Gen I or Gen II engine. They both use different sized valve shims as well and have different procedures for adjusting the valves.

If you have a Haynes manual be very careful that you are reading the correct section for the year bike you have on certain things.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The 9EK is a dual electrode plug, and generally doesn't foul as quickly as a standard single electrode plug.

I wouldn't spend the additional money on the IX plug unless you really only take short trips.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
FWIW, my CR9EK plugs hold up quite well despite being subject to lots of 2-5 mile trips.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the help kit, i was looking all over the place. i stuck with the regular cr9ek. they fire great. i just hope they last lol. should be ok, they are NGK's.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Glad to help. I replace mine every 18k 'cause the book says to; I bet they'd go 36k now that I have the new-style plug tower seals.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
131 Posts
As soon as my knee heal's up I will pull the old plug's and see if I have the right replacement plug's. thank's for all the help!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Australian Triumph dealers now advising use of NGK-8EK for our bikes.

I changed mine out at the 20,000k service and used those to replace the 9EK ones that were in there from the factory.

All seems good.

·
Banned
119 Posts
If it's any consolation, iridium plugs cost more but do absolutely nothing for performance on these bikes. Some people have actually reported performance issues that may have been caused by iridium plugs.

Don't sweat it, the stock plugs work fine.

Cheers,
-Kit
For lack of a polite term...

Prove it. ;)

Please... :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts