Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been a lurker here for a while and thought I'd introduce myself.

I have a 96 speed triple I purchased new in 96. Rode it for several years off and on. Crashed it in 2002 and it has been sitting for a while. The damage is fairly significant cosmetically.

I have several other bikes that I ride and wrench on. The Triumph has been on the back burner for a while. I have been enjoying a love affair with BMW airheads. Low tech, big money.

I have been wndering what to do with the bike and have decided to dual sport it. I am a huge fan of the old big displacement rally bikes.

I have access to a pretty good machine shop and am fairly mechanically inclined. My goal is to source a MX style front end (KTM, Honda) and fit it to the front end. Ill probable raise the rear end a bit an maybe give the rear swingarm a little extension (hopefully ebay could provide an early tiger swingarm and linkage.) Id like to find a tiger (spoked) rear wheel and lace it up to an 18 inch rim. Id fab some lower peg mounts and make a new seat for a more upright seating position. Id like to drop some weight (passenger peg brackets, twin exhausts) Id like to find a 3 into 1 header and fit her up.
High aspirations I know. But Ive got nothing but time. If I could just stop working on all my other projects Id get somewhere.

Today I fitted new jets to the carb and cleaned them. Next is a pingel petcock to rid myself of the god awful rotted vaccuum petcock.

Ill try to send out as many questions to you guys as I come up with. be gentle. I know this sounds a wee bit loony....

here is my inspiration.

take care out there,

Mike

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
That don't look (or sound) like no pile of crap to me!

Welcome Mike, this is a great source of information here, there will always be an answer to whatever question you might pose.

I see what you want to achieve, wouldn't it be easier with a Tiger as your starting point? It seems a crying pity to chop up the holy grail of Hinckley Triumphs.
I'm not suggesting it wouldn't be an awesome ride, it obviously would be obscene fun in the dirt, its just that Speed Triples are kind of special, well, in my thinking anyway.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
To each his own but I'd hate to see a classic S3 turned into something else. Especially when you could just buy a Tiger to start with.
But that's the great thing about livving in a free country, you can do what you want & I;ll be interested to see the result.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
D'oh! Forgot to click "Submit" & now I'm just a me too...

Hi Mike, welcome to our little corner of the web. :D

The purist in me thinks that that's a horrible crime you're perpetrating against that poor, defenseless Speed Triple, but the tinkerer in me is intrigued...

As Roden & Sydtrip have already said, it might be easier to start with a Tiger. You might be surprised at what you could get for the Speed Triple, even in that shape.

If you do go through with the project, your lower peg mounts are already there. You'll need a shifter linkage & maybe a brake link rod from a Trident/Sprint/Trophy, but there is a hole in the mounting plate already & the pegs move down & forward no problem.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Howdy again

I guess Ive already got a question(s). Will the three into one header for the first gen fuel injected bikes fit the carbed engine? Also has anyone posted setup specs for FCR carbs with pod filters? are the rear hubs from the steamer Tiger the same as the classics line (adventurer, thunderbird)? Is the tiger tank a bolt on?

As far as the conversion goes I understand the purist reaction to radical changes to a classic cycle. (the BMW guys are really bad about this.) The left side of the bike is pretty bad. Tank dented, shifter bent, bodywork scuffed, clipon bent, guages broken, headlight gone, left mirror. to bring it back to original would cost more than the conversion.

That being said I'll probably give the collective here first crack at the parts prior to landing them on fleabay.

Ill probably be posting in the tigger threads as well but you guys are the resident t300 experts so I thought Id ask you guys the niggling questions i come up with.

As we all like pics Ill try to contribute...Heres the freshly cleaned mikunis. new 40 pilots and 130 mains...

A thing of beauty

Take care out there,

Mike

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Mot's right about the T509 but I think it was the first fuel injected model?

For the headers to fit, it must be from the 885, not the later 955.
The exhaust ports are different shapes.

I believe the headers will fit with no clearance problems and you cann still access the oil filter unlike some systems that have to be removed eg, Yoshi.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Oh yeah, "Trypcil" is your man for carburation.

I'm pretty sure he runs FCR's on one bike and modified CV's on another.

Anyway, hopefully he'll chime in soon.

Cheers,

Roden

1 - 9 of 9 Posts