Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Street Triple forum? Please introduce yourself in this thread. Once you’ve made your introduction please browse and make use of all the collected information and knowledge accessible here. If you do have a question please follow the following instructions.

1. Use the Search function at the top of the page to see if there has already been another thread on the topic you're interested in.

2. If you don't find an answer either of those ways, start a new thread to ask your question. But please make it something specific--not just another generic "tell me everything because I'm new" question. This is a pretty friendly and knowledgeable group of folks. If you ask a specific question and anyone knows the answer, they'll be glad to tell you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all,

I'm in sunny Western Australia, ride a 2015 Street Triple R. Weather here is great for riding just about all year. Bike has a few mods, and a few more coming soon.

I'll get some pics up soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
New guy from MN

Hello friends.

I just made the switch from an 09 CBR600RR to a used 2018 765R.

I don't do as many track days as I used to in previous years and decided to sell the CBR this year. I've always liked the 675 motor and the ergos of the Street Triple so decided to look for a 2013+ Street3 that fit the budget.

2 Saturdays ago I was going to look at a 2015 with 1500 miles that was located 10 miles from my house, but a quick last minute craigslist refresh showed me a used 2018 765R with 2098 miles that was located 4 hours away. The 2018 was traded in to a Subaru dealership for a WRX. I knew I wanted to at least test ride the new 765 motor so I put a down payment over the phone and drove to Sioux Falls the same day with my wife, daughter and our dog, with our van pulling behind my friend's motorcycle trailer. We stayed at a KOA cabin for the night and went to see the bike next day (the dealership is open for 3 hours on Sundays).

I fell in-love with the looks of the bike right away. It was the color I wanted. Coming from a few SV650s. a CBR and an R6, I quickly learned that the new 765R engine felt somewhere in between how my previous bikes felt. The front brake was spongy but I knew bleeding the lines would fix that. The slipper clutch was something I knew I had to get used to. I'm 150 lbs. The suspension was just right for street riding.

The rear brake pedal felt weird. I had to look for it. It was closer to the clutch cover than what I'm used to. I knew right away that the bike would have had a tip over. Sure enough, some scuff marks were on the underside of the right turn signal, radiator, brake pedal, yosh exhaust and the factory mirrors were replaced with barend ones. The brake pedal is also bent up, and the handlebar a little misaligned.

I've crashed a number of times in the past and I knew I'd be able to search for ways to fix the minor things I found, so I bought the bike. I've been loving it so far. I have yet to do a track day with it but I find myself extending my route every time I go out for a 'short' ride.

This recent experience brings me here. I just want to read up on your folks' experiences and share some of mine.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
8,639 Posts
Hello friends.

I just made the switch from an 09 CBR600RR to a used 2018 765R.

I don't do as many track days as I used to in previous years and decided to sell the CBR this year. I've always liked the 675 motor and the ergos of the Street Triple so decided to look for a 2013+ Street3 that fit the budget.

2 Saturdays ago I was going to look at a 2015 with 1500 miles that was located 10 miles from my house, but a quick last minute craigslist refresh showed me a used 2018 765R with 2098 miles that was located 4 hours away. The 2018 was traded in to a Subaru dealership for a WRX. I knew I wanted to at least test ride the new 765 motor so I put a down payment over the phone and drove to Sioux Falls the same day with my wife, daughter and our dog, with our van pulling behind my friend's motorcycle trailer. We stayed at a KOA cabin for the night and went to see the bike next day (the dealership is open for 3 hours on Sundays).

I fell in-love with the looks of the bike right away. It was the color I wanted. Coming from a few SV650s. a CBR and an R6, I quickly learned that the new 765R engine felt somewhere in between how my previous bikes felt. The front brake was spongy but I knew bleeding the lines would fix that. The slipper clutch was something I knew I had to get used to. I'm 150 lbs. The suspension was just right for street riding.

The rear brake pedal felt weird. I had to look for it. It was closer to the clutch cover than what I'm used to. I knew right away that the bike would have had a tip over. Sure enough, some scuff marks were on the underside of the right turn signal, radiator, brake pedal, yosh exhaust and the factory mirrors were replaced with barend ones. The brake pedal is also bent up, and the handlebar a little misaligned.

I've crashed a number of times in the past and I knew I'd be able to search for ways to fix the minor things I found, so I bought the bike. I've been loving it so far. I have yet to do a track day with it but I find myself extending my route every time I go out for a 'short' ride.

This recent experience brings me here. I just want to read up on your folks' experiences and share some of mine.

Cheers.
Congratulations. It sounds like someone scared themselves out of a great bike. Your gain. It seems there's a few on here who have already been able to find used 765's. I find that a little odd. I may be a little strange, but I don't see a somewhat "premium" bike like this being a "first bike", and for anyone who even slightly knows what they are doing on 2 wheels, how can they not love it?

:dunno

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got a 2009 Street Triple today! Figured this place would be a good resource. Coming from a Kawasaki Versys 650, really refreshing change.

·
Premium Member
8,639 Posts
Welcome. How about a picture?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all!From the UK! 2012 Street R.. with a few changes lol!
This is my second Street.. 1st was a 2008... & my 4th triumph (1970 TR6, & 2001 955i Speed-tona)
Will post some pics soon :) (when I work out how to!)
Skippy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congratulations. It sounds like someone scared themselves out of a great bike. Your gain. It seems there's a few on here who have already been able to find used 765's. I find that a little odd. I may be a little strange, but I don't see a somewhat "premium" bike like this being a "first bike", and for anyone who even slightly knows what they are doing on 2 wheels, how can they not love it?

:dunno
Thank you. I found documentation under passenger seat stating that the original owner traded in a Ducati 1098 with 17K miles for the 765. I don't know how much of the 17K miles was put on by him/her.

According to the Subaru dealership, the guy traded in the 765 for a WRX. Why not just keep the bike and just get a car, is the question I have. Maybe he/she missed the power of the Ducati. Oh well. I'll never know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New from Alabama

Hello all; not a Street Triple owner yet but here to do some research. At present, have a Hayabusa and a Ducati Supersport. Anyway, glad to be here and safe riding to everyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi from Oregon

Long time rider getting back into street riding after about 8 years of riding almost exclusively offroad. I live in the US in the Pacific NW (Oregon). Someday I'm going to make it to an Isle of Man TT.

Current bike: 2012 Triumph Street Triple R

Past Bikes (no longer owned):
2000 KTM Duke II
2008 KTM 250 XC
2004 Yamaha WR250F
2006 Yamaha TTR-200
Triumph Daytona
Moto Guzzi Bellagio
2000 Honda SuperHawk
Yamaha Seca II

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to the Triumph brand, sort of...

Greetings; I purchased a 2014 Street Triple last week and I'm very happy with It. I'd like a little more power, but it has just enough power to be fun, without tempting me to exceed the speed limit excessively. A more powerful bike would be fun, but not necessary. I love the small, light, nimble package that's the Street Triple.
I once owned a first iteration Triumph Bonneville (1972) around 1985-86. It had the shifter on the opposite side. A fun machine. I've been wanting to own a naked bike for some years, and narrowed it down to the Street, as it had the personality, handling and looks that just did it for me. And the test ride of the 2018 model year a couple weeks ago had something to do with my final decision also. The 2018 is more powerful, which is really nice. I'd say the 2018 power/torque is just perfect for me. I'd be happy for ever with that bike, but it was several thousand dollars out of my budget. However, the 2014 is nice, fun, pretty much has the same character (I probably shouldn't have ridden the 2018 ) and I just love the look. The power is a little less than the '18, but still thrilling enough at the higher revs.
I own a 2005 BMW R1200RT that for me makes the perfect sport-touring machine. Quite nimble on the twisties, and comfortable on the long rides. An awesomely engineered bike.
Over the last couple weeks, I've been on this site quite a bit so I decided to join. Thanks all, and have a great weekend!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got a 2015 Street Triple from Webb's of Lincoln (UK)
Loving the triple sound and the mid-range after a Yam Fazer 600.
Loving the info on the forum
Cheers David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
Another "Hi!" from Oregon!!

I'm new to the Street Triple, but have had a number of Triumph's, most notably a Tiger 800 for 3 or 4 years.... longest I've kept any bike so far! I sold her a couple of years ago and got on a BMW GSA and as far as long haul touring AND some off-road goes, I've never looked back. But this girl likes to hit the track every now and again, and has a habit of transferring those skills to the road with a bunch of 'fast boys', so I'm back in the Triumph fold and really happy to be here!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another "Hi!" from Oregon!!

I'm new to the Street Triple, but have had a number of Triumph's, most notably a Tiger 800 for 3 or 4 years.... longest I've kept any bike so far! I sold her a couple of years ago and got on a BMW GSA and as far as long haul touring AND some off-road goes, I've never looked back. But this girl likes to hit the track every now and again, and has a habit of transferring those skills to the road with a bunch of 'fast boys', so I'm back in the Triumph fold and really happy to be here!

Hey Suze welcome to the forum. I just did a PIR track day on 7/20, the STR was a blast, and doing another at OPR in September.

I'd like to hear what you have to say about the Tiger. Kind of curious about the whole adventure bike genre. I've ridden dirt bikes for a few years now and can't imagine taking something so bike on trails. I ask because I'm in the market for a dual-sport.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Greetings from (not so) sunny SoCal!

Hey everyone! Longtime lurker, but I figured it's finally time I get actively involved haha.

Started riding a decade ago on a 2008 Honda CBR600RR. Being a reckless 19 year old on 600cc supersport, you would never guess what happened! I crashed it haha. I went into a decreasing radius turn too fast, panicked when I realized it, and being a novice rider in over my head, I pulled the front brake mid-lean. The bike did exactly what you'd expect it to, and straightened right up, throwing me over the handlebars. Fortunately, I landed in a grassy ditch. Unfortunately, the bike did too, right on top of me. The rear brake lever landed right on my ankle, and pinned me under the bike. The only reason I can still walk normally is because my riding boots did their job. (Wear your gear guys!) Anyways, the CBR was totalled, and while I would frequently rent or borrow bikes to scratch that riding itch, it took me several years to decide to buy another bike. I ended up buying a new Ninja 300 when they first came out, and became a much better rider on it. It is a fantastic bike to learn or improve your skills on. But eventually the urge for more power won out, and I fell in love with the Triumph triple from my very first ride on a 2012 Street Triple. I purchased a brand new 2014 Diablo Red Daytona 675, and was in love.

I've been riding that Daytona 675 for the last four years and enjoyed every minute of it, but as much as I loved that bike, I had just sold my car upon I moving to Los Angeles (can't stand traffic), and I now needed something a little more commuter friendly. I knew I wanted another Triumph triple, so last month I traded her in for a new 2018 Phantom Black Street Triple 765 RS, figuring the downgrade in performance for the additional comfort would be worth the tradeoff.

Boy was I surprised to find my new 765 was an upgrade over my Daytona in almost every conceivable way. The updated features over my Daytona, especially the ride modes and TFT display, have been awesome, but it's the effortless ride, confidence inspiring handling, and a flickability that reminds me of my old Ninja 300 that has me completely in love with this Street Triple like no other bike I have ever owned. It brings back that giddy feeling of riding my very first bike, where every waking moment was spent anxiously waiting until I could get back out riding again! I'm in love all over again.

While the Daytona was an amazing bike, and still my favorite sport bike that I've ever ridden (can't wait to see what they do with the 765 Daytona), it wasn't exactly the greatest bike in the world for everyday city commuting. With my Street Triple, I feel like I've got the best of both worlds, and I couldn't be happier! :grin2:

Anyways, being the tinkerer I am, I've added quite a few things to make her my own:

Triumph Parts
Heated grips (amazing)
Flyscreen visor
Frame sliders
Swing arm protectors
Tank pad
LED rear turn indicators
LRH model seat (made a big difference!)
Arrow silencer
Red bar end finishers, chain adjuster, paddock bobbins, gear actuator, oil cap, and dipstick

Third Party
Evotech tail tidy
MFW Vario Rider Footpegs (until I can find a set of Triumph rear sets)
HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs (very difficult install, but look fantastic)
Motocomposites carbon fiber; heel guards, radiator guards, and rear hugger

Coming Soon
Watsen front turn signals
Rearsets to replace the
Probably a few more Motocomposites carbon fiber bits haha

And here's a couple of older pics of the new 765 and my old Daytona. I'll post some updated ones once I get the Watsen signals in.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts